Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do you have and/or plan to get for a smartphone? Right now I have an iPhone SE that was a cheap temporary phone I bought while money was tight (only paid like $150 for a prepaid StraightTalk one).

I'm going to be buying a flagship smartphone soon, and most likely a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. At $899, it'd be the most expensive phone I've ever bought but it is the only phone on the market that has everything I want in a smartphone. I already looked at OnePlus, but it isn't fully compatible with the network I like to use and also doesn't look like it has a memory card slot. The screen resolution is also relatively poor on the OnePlus. Phones from other companies also failed in specs in one way or another. The Razer phone failed at its camera and screen brightness. The iPhone X failed at its price tag ($1000+ for one? no thanks). I also need a Samsung phone to keep using my smartwatch.

Specs of Note 8:
Display: 6.3 inch Super AMOLED @ 2960 x 1440, 521 pixels per inch
CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Octa-core (4×2.35 GHz & 4×1.9 GHz)
RAM: 6 GB LPDDR4X RAM
Storage: 64 GB storage (I have a 128 GB microSDXC I plan to put in it)
Other: Doesn't explode (hopefully)
Sensors:
  • Accelerometer
  • Barometer
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • Iris scanner
  • Geomagnetic sensor
  • Gyroscope
  • Hall sensor
  • Proximity sensor

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never use expensive phones. My last one was Prestigio muse 5.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
150 a cheap phone...if you say so. My current one is an hte zte, a 30 dollar Trac phone with specs I don't even know, but I can call people, it texts them, I can have apps and access the internet and a memory card slot to supplement it's abyssal two gigs with a phone that's more durable than your average flagship even while it'd be less devastating if it did break.

I don't even know what features the expensive phones really offer, but I don't understand how it could possibly be worth the price tag involved. Especially when you factor in the networks, people I know with pricy phones tend to also have 100+ monthly bills they ***** about all the time, meanwhile I'm sitting back scratching my head paying less than 15 a month for all the calls, way more texts than I need and a gig of internet that lasts me about half the month.

Brands are made to screw people over, otherwise the 900 dollar phones would be the indestructible bricks and the 30 dollar ones the ones that shatter to ruin through protective cases when dropped at three feet.

Last edited:

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Philosophus Vagus The difference between a cheap phone and expensive one is like the difference between a cheap PC and an expensive one. The more expensive generally has more powerful hardware and/or more features and sensors. Sometimes, the price gets you something that can withstand stuff that a cheaper phone might not. In the case of the Note 8, it has really good water resistance and top notch hardware specs.

I use my phone as a pocket multimedia computer, and buy them accordingly.

Stanley

Nobody, Joystrike Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay, Lotudian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've never gotten myself an expensive top-notch smartphone :c
Someday...

robhr

come on die young
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a crappy little iPhone 4. I got it for free with a new plan, like... 4 or 5 years ago? Maybe longer? Back when the iPhone 5 was the newest.

I think, when I have the money, my next one will be a Samsung.

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've a Vibe K5 Plus(Which is kinda good, a lot better than what i was expecting when got it) and plan buying a Quantum FLY(or another quantum if they make a better one) or a Samsung something.
Specs Quantum Fly:
-(CPU)Helio X20 2,1Ghz
-(GPU)Mali T-880 MP4
-(Ram)3GB LPDDR3
-32GB
-16MP/Flash 2.0 PDAF and stuff
-(Battery) 3.000 mAh
U$ 212

The only thing I know I won't buy is iPhone. I'm truly learning to hate apple.

Last edited:

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The only thing I know I won't buy is iPhone. I'm truly learning to hate apple.
The problem with Apple is they like to force you to do things a certain way, and control the entire app ecosystem for their own benefit. As an example, you can't get Mozilla Firefox on iOS because Apple does not allow competing browser technologies. That is very consumer hostile IMO. Also, Apple does not allow command terminals on iOS. Want to play with some Unix commands? Nope. On Android both of those are not only possible, but easy and do not require any jailbreak or other risky hack.

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem with Apple is they like to force you to do things a certain way, and control the entire app ecosystem for their own benefit. As an example, you can't get Mozilla Firefox on iOS because Apple does not allow competing browser technologies. That is very consumer hostile IMO. Also, Apple does not allow command terminals on iOS. Want to play with some Unix commands? Nope. On Android both of those are not only possible, but easy and do not require any jailbreak or other risky hack.
Also they build extremely expensive things(at least here, where iphone X, for example, cost from U$ 2187 to U$ 2437, while something like Galaxy S8 costs around U$850), and force you to buy an anual license and a Mac PC to...well.. WORK FOR THEM(since you're creating apps for their market app, which will give them money. So you're paying to work for them, basically)

Apple in my opinion is a terrible example for the market on mostly everything they do. It's not worth having any of their products by any means.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also they build extremely expensive things(at least here, where iphone X, for example, cost from U$ 2187 to U$ 2437)

Apple in my opinion is a terrible example for the market on mostly everything they do. It's not worth having any of their products by any means.
Well I paid $150 for a new iPhone SE through StraightTalk (part of TracFone, so yeah a TracFone iPhone... funny) as an emergency temporary smartphone because my old one stopped charging. It works well for what I paid for it, though this is an exception to the rule in the pricing case.

Zemtax

Secret Open World Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got a Samsung Galaxy S7 earlier last year with a phone plan for 20€/mo (2 years).
Best phone I've owned so far, but I'm not looking for much in a phone, as long as it's somewhat fast to process multitasking without major stuttering.
Regarding screen resolution, I've owned a Huawei Ascend Mate 7 before the Galaxy S7, the Mate 7 has a 6" screen and a 1080p display.
You really don't need high resolution on a phone screen, it's just eating more battery. As for my current S7, it has an option to change the screen resolution, set it to 720p and didn't notice much of a difference.
Just don't get too hung up on the marketing details if you can save some money! =)

Arisa

probably dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have an iPhone X lmao, expensive but I don't hate it. I plan to get the iPhone X plus though lolol

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Right now, I've got a Microsoft 950. I've had it for almost 2 years, and it's still good as new. I may switch to Samsung after this, though, 'cause apparently Microsoft has kind of stopped making phones at this point. :/

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
All phones do exactly the same things, just faster or slower... beyond a certain point it's all a waste of money.
I have a Moto G4. 8 cores, 2gb ram, 13MP camera... i can't even think of any excuse to replace it.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I got an LG aristo and it does everything I want (call blocking is a godsend!!) I'm getting the aristo 2 soon. My sister gets various galaxies. We program for LG and Samsung so those are the phones we tend to get. I don't have a preference for phones. As long as they work

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ever since I went off-contract, I typically buy the $150-$200 that I like the best. I had a Moto G4 but it stopped charging after a little over a year so I have Moto G5 now. There was a time when I was really into the whole phone tech stuff because the industry was trying all kinds of new ideas. Now they just kind of settled on the all screen rectangle so there's little out there that really excited me.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All phones do exactly the same things, just faster or slower... beyond a certain point it's all a waste of money.
I have a Moto G4. 8 cores, 2gb ram, 13MP camera... i can't even think of any excuse to replace it.
Excellent choice. Moto phones are among the best value smartphones on the market. I would not say that an expensive smartphone is a waste of money unless you can get the same thing for cheaper. In the case of Galaxy Note 8 you really can't. Sure you might find similar specs, but then there is also build quality, and features unique to the phone itself. I personally wanted a smartphone with a top notch stylus and powerful hardware. The Note 8 was the phone best suited for what I planned to use it for and absolutely do not regret buying it.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got my first smartphone a few years ago, a Nexus 5X. I loved everything about it, especially that I could still fit it in the pocket of women's pants. Took amazing care of it, but then one day I woke up and; boom, boot loop. I tried a number of things to fix it but I couldn't get it past the boot screen. I tried to send it to LG but they never sent me my label, so I got a Pixel XL on sale awhile later. I love it about as much, but can definitely not fit it in any of my pockets. :kaoswt:

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I upgrade every couple of months (usually 6) and go back and forth between Apple and Android.
I usually stick to Samsung when it comes to Android but gave the LG V30 a shot mainly because of the quad hifi dac and not having the need to carry a dac with me. The camera is pretty meh but with good lighting and a tripod anything is possible I guess...

I'll be getting S9 pretty shortly and then upgrading to the iPhone XI I guess around the holidays.

I'm on Verizon if that matters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Chaos17 wrote on Poryg's profile.
Hi, I am following your videos tutorials serie about coding on MV and I am at the third video. Thank you for making it but's a bit hard to follow since you don't show the whole plugin at the end. I had to screenshot the lines between 110-159 because you scrolled so fast on them.
:rtear:
I'm not sure if I should be happy for MZ, or sad for MV.
Not going to lie.... The update's cool and all, but I immediately ran to Mog's site and was like, "Update! Update! Update!" while breathing on the page of his Star Ocean Battle System plugin. :kaoswt:
Ho boi. I can already see the storm of ugly actor faces RTP customizable facesets from MZ are gonna flood. XD
<-- Meet Seith. He begins the story as an apprentice druid, learning to survive in the wilderness by communing with nature and honing his herbalism. Seith has a deep desire to understand the world around him. When wells of chaotic energy begin erupting from the land,corrupting plant, animal and man alike, Seith finds himself on a journey to discover just what this means for the fate of his home, the land of Myarr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragatoni