Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Smithing -- Simply Upgrade Your Weapon version 1.0
by richter_h (a.k.a. Richter II)

Introduction
Ever played Suikoden? That game has some blacksmithes that provide weapon upgrades and (maybe later) some enchantments, making your fights would be easier than using a simple stick to the brawl.
And based on that reason, I made this script.

Features
- Add parameter in every weapon's level. So you can add some ATKs in first levels, then add it more PLUS some SPI. Just for your pleasure.
- Change your favorite weapon's name from simple "Longsword" into "Longersword", "Cloudcleaver", or "Titan's Toothpick" or even "Sword of the Dark Flame Master"? No problem. You can set weapon's name in every level as you want.
- Changeable weapon's icon as you desire.
- Change weapon's description (and whatever the Longsword's description when upgraded is at your hand.)
- The blacksmith can has lines to speak! It's highly customizable as you want, however, only one kind of quote lines could be added; A generic quote would work.

Screenshots

How to Use
Simply put this below Material and above Main in Script Editor.

To call the Smith scene, make an event, choose Script menu then insert this
Code:
$scene = $Scene_Smith.new
Demo
Grab the demo here.

Script
It's here. http://pastebin.com/6AytZky9

FAQ

Q: Bugs?
A: None at the moment. If you find one, let me know.

Q: New features?
A: Maybe that 'socket'ing feature, but I think I'll stay with this. I did this script during my final exam btw.  :p

Credit and Thanks
- richter_h
- maximusPrime
- Konami, for the inspiration.

Author's Notes
Don't mind about the demo. I just want to add some spice to the demo. And sorry for my English, sometimes it's baaaaaad. :lol:

literarygoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Love the look of this script, tested the demo and it plays great! Can we adjust any stat on the weapons with the sharpen feature, or just atk and spi? Looking forward to the socketing feature, a lot of people would like that :)

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Love the look of this script, tested the demo and it plays great! Can we adjust any stat on the weapons with the sharpen feature, or just atk and spi? Looking forward to the socketing feature, a lot of people would like that :)
Adjusting stats? of course you can do that :D

For now, it's only the basic stats on the database that could be upgraded; ATK SPI DEF AGI. I haven't implemented other and custom stats, yet.

For the socketing feature, I'll do it when the game project which use this script is out. Maybe next week or later.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If I wanted to tie the ability to upgrade a weapon to the level of the character, would that be possible?

e.g. if the character is at level 10, then the first upgrade would be available.

if level 15, the second upgrade

and so on.

Thanks for what looks like an excellent script.

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
If I wanted to tie the ability to upgrade a weapon to the level of the character, would that be possible?

e.g. if the character is at level 10, then the first upgrade would be available.

if level 15, the second upgrade

and so on.

Thanks for what looks like an excellent script.
For this version it's impossible to tie up the depend the upgrade level to character's level, but it seems possible in the next release. Maybe new features will be loaded in next version... when I have time to do that. ;)

And, well, thanks.

asfeasde

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Hello
Primarily Uses
is it compatible with ace? if not can you make it compatible??? Pleeeaaassee i reaallly need this kind of script :)

Hytporsche

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
is it compatible with ace? if not can you make it compatible??? Pleeeaaassee i reaallly need this kind of script :)
I have already tested the script on Ace. It seems to not be compatible. But, too piggy back on on asfeasde.. As a request, richter_h is their anyway you could make this compatible for VX Ace? I know many people would enjoy having this script on VX Ace as it would be the only "true" weapon upgrade system in a simple form :)

EDIT: To add to the request, the "Socket/Slot" feature would be amazing if it was also added in and ported over to VX Ace ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have already tested the script on Ace. It seems to not be compatible. But, too piggy back on on asfeasde.. As a request, richter_h is their anyway you could make this compatible for VX Ace? I know many people would enjoy having this script on VX Ace as it would be the only "true" weapon upgrade system in a simple form :)

EDIT: To add to the request, the "Socket/Slot" feature would be amazing if it was also added in and ported over to VX Ace ;)
I'd like to port it to VXA, but due to lack of my RGSS3 knowledge, I chose to let it unported for now. However, my friend, TheoAllen (maybe you've heard about him) wants to port it to VXA.

In other hands, I'm working back into my scripts and sprites. Maybe the 'socket'ing feature would be implemented soon.

Thanks for your concern :)

Hytporsche

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Look forward to seeing this script ported soon and the socket feature added in  :D

Galactic_Edge

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey Richter, this looks like an awesome script. I just started learning programming a couple weeks ago when i got RPG Maker and I've been making some cutom scripts for my game, but this one is completely beyond me. It looks like you did some stuff in there with cloning data, but I can't figure out how it works. Could you by any chance give me a brief overview of how you're able to save data outside of runtime, and what tricks I might need to know to create something like this? My basic vision is to be able to create a scene triggered by the use of a skill that lets you permanently add a feature to an item, hopefully without modifying all instances of that item's ID (like adding lightning resistance to a chestpiece, or agi to a dagger). So far I've settled for making a smithing system that just edits item features until the game is saved, then all the modifications are lost. It also makes all instances of that particular item ID into the new version. I considered creating a database holding ALL possible iterations of every item/enchant, but that would be a bit on the ridiculous side. Do you think it's feasible for a novice to create a working version of the kind of system I'm looking for?

I'm working in RGSS3 BTW, but hopefully the Ruby aspect of it will all be the same.

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
@HytporscheWell, no progress of porting btw... Sorry, fella. :(

Chores and jobs have made me busy for months, and my computer is down. Maybe I'll call someone else to take the role for now...

@Galactic_EdgeBased on my friend's works, this script will:

1. Lists all of possible item created by the script based on the hashtable;

2. Clones weapon's ID when the game starts, while keeping the initial items alone. This one involves many recursion and usage of arrays and hashes;

3. While cloning in progress, possible attribute or properties additions are added in the newly generated items, as well as adding "former item"'s ID and "future created item"'s ID. This one is to make the upgrade path is correct.

4. Repeat the phase 2 and 3 till the possible created item from the hashtable is up.

By this way, I can keep the items in the savefiles. Making the game to loose the upgrade path is good enough, but I avoided this because when my friend and I built this script, there will be some kind of error (yet untested btw :p )

And for novice, creating all possible crafted items is good enough if the crafting path/upgrade path is correct, but it'll eat LOTS of spaces in database. This one was avoided by me and my friend who created the Smithing core script, and the script itself was the result of it.

Maybe that's all I can say for now. Thanks for the response and sorry if you guys are waiting for the VXAce version of Smithing system :D

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd like to port it to VXA, but due to lack of my RGSS3 knowledge, I chose to let it unported for now. However, my friend, TheoAllen (maybe you've heard about him) wants to port it to VXA.

In other hands, I'm working back into my scripts and sprites. Maybe the 'socket'ing feature would be implemented soon.

Thanks for your concern :)
Well, I actually did it

You guys, are you looking for RGSS3 version? Then you should open this link http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,48152.0.html

I'll post it here later.

Sorry if I made you wait too long

lucofthewind

Suikoden FanBoy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
theodoric you are amazing!

Thank you so much for getting the ball rolling with the script, working on a Suikoden fan game myself, this is one of the two last scripts I needed. However I do have a question request for you. I'm using battle symphony and sadly getting the error

Script line 237:NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method "symphony_tag for #<RPG::Weapon0x9a22bc4

I'm guessing this is a compatibility issue?

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
theodoric you are amazing!

Thank you so much for getting the ball rolling with the script, working on a Suikoden fan game myself, this is one of the two last scripts I needed. However I do have a question request for you. I'm using battle symphony and sadly getting the error

Script line 237:NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method "symphony_tag for #<RPG::Weapon0x9a22bc4

I'm guessing this is a compatibility issue?
I just update the compatibility patch among various scripts. Check that out in RMRK. If it's not compatible yet, maybe I should try battle symphony myself.

Thanks for reply and sorry for the trouble

lucofthewind

Suikoden FanBoy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Trouble?

You are doing us a MAJOR favor by creating this script for us! As i said before, this was on of the last scripts I needed for my fan game, and you made my life a million times easier. When I get home from work today, I will def give it a try out and report back any trouble. But seriously, thank you again for taking up this job!

Edit:  Just wanted to shoot back for some feed back.

Your last update worked like a charm, and it does now work with the battle system. *thumbs up* I had to disable a Enchantment by Kread-EX to make this work, but that really seems like a non-issue, since you plan to add this feature anywho. *double thumbs up*. So thank you again for all your hard work in this!

Questions:

~ Any plans to add a sound effect and "you need x item to go any higher" to the script?

~ When the weapon get's upgraded, does it create a new item and automatically equips it? I noticed that the note tags I have on the weapon do not carry over. There are ways around this, but I thought I ask first.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Trouble?

You are doing us a MAJOR favor by creating this script for us! As i said before, this was on of the last scripts I needed for my fan game, and you made my life a million times easier. When I get home from work today, I will def give it a try out and report back any trouble. But seriously, thank you again for taking up this job!

Edit:  Just wanted to shoot back for some feed back.

Your last update worked like a charm, and it does now work with the battle system. *thumbs up* I had to disable a Enchantment by Kread-EX to make this work, but that really seems like a non-issue, since you plan to add this feature anywho. *double thumbs up*. So thank you again for all your hard work in this!

Questions:

~ Any plans to add a sound effect and "you need x item to go any higher" to the script?

~ When the weapon get's upgraded, does it create a new item and automatically equips it? I noticed that the note tags I have on the weapon do not carry over. There are ways around this, but I thought I ask first.
Sorry for late reply

- If you're looking SE just like in this RGSS2 version, I remove them. Personally, I don't like that delays. Ask other scripter to put them into. My scripts are free to edit

- My future feature will be smithing condition (such as you need something to upgrade). But I still have no idea how to make user-friendly config for non-scripter.

- Yes, it's automatically equips. I just follow my friend's script. About notetag, it depends how another script handle it. For me, I follow yanfly's way to read notetag. So if there's any script that handles notetag differently, I'm not sure if it would be carry over

lucofthewind

Suikoden FanBoy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sounds good, thanks again for all your help!

zSprawl

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Theo,

I'm having a problem that when I'm in battle, the animation isn't respected, and it uses the default punches.

Likewise, for skills that require, for example, a bow, an upgraded bow using this script won't work.

Can you assist? I really love the Ace version of this script (well both but I use Ace). 

Thanks!

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Woah, that's not supposed to be happen.

For quick patch, add this following codes in the end of the script

class Game_Actor < Game_Battler def weapons @equips.select {|item| item.is_weapon? || item.upgraded_weapon? }.collect {|item| item.object } endendAnyway, thanks for the report. I'll update bugfix soon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What is your favourite rpg maker plugin?
Hopefully this gets fixed before release..
Where's this sudden heatwave come from? It's not even sunny, it's just hot. Hate it!
I'm slightly disappointed that the MZ codebase still uses core.js, managers.js, objects.js, scenes.js, sprites.js and windows.js instead of core/Bitmap.js, core/Graphics.js, managers/AudioManager.js, managers/DataManager.js, etc...
just a few more hours until the toughest, most pressure 72 hours of my life, wish me luck guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcamp10565