Primarily Uses
Hello,  Could someone I recommend a few games of RPG of SNES ?? Thank You

The Infamous Bon Bon

Executive Geek
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Out of curiosity, are you looking for the games on the actual SNES carts, some kind of emulator, or in some other way?

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
wow Sakuri hit all the good ones! 

Tales of Phantasia (never actually played this but I heard it's good)

Earthbound (I don't like it too much, but everyone else does)

Final Fantasy IV 

Seiken Densetsu 3

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I'd like to add Terranigma. It's an Action RPG, but definitely worth playing.

And now that I think about it: Actually you can't really go wrong with any of the SNES RPGs. Though you might notice some (to some extent huge) differences in gameplay between the older and the newer ones.

Besides everything already mentioned and the other squaresoft titles there are also the Lufia and Breath of Fire games you might enjoy. And Illusion of Time... and Soul Blazer... and Super Mario RPG. Argh! It's difficult to chose :distrust:

TheX

Mapper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Thank you all   :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Chrono Trigger for sure. You can get it on different platforms now, too. They ported it to DS and you can download it for Wii/Wii U.

Star Ocean is also great, but the SNES version is only available in Japanese (unless you use an emulator and a translation patch, which I'm sure no one here recommends *cough*). They remade it in English for PSP, though.

Tales of Phantasia is decent too, although the battle system is kind of clunky. And again, the original SNES version only comes in Japanese, but it's been remade for other platforms in other languages.

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It seems everything is already covered... maybe Front Mission and Bahamut Lagoon if you like strategy games.

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I'm not going to repeat what others have said before, they are all very good titles. I am a SNES-era kid, so I'll try to offer some more obscur, less mainstream titles you might not have heard of //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_smile.gif So in no particular order:

Live a live is an interesting title, it's a bit unique, it's fun. I recommend giving it a go.

Robotrek was a fun little title too. A bit simple and certainly outdated, it's not amongst the best, but it was enjoyable.

We've seen better since, but the class system in FF5 was novel for its time, it's not totally uninteresting.

If you liked Secret of Mana, you might like Secret of Evermore, it's kinda similar.

If you have trouble finding Illusion of Time, it's also been called Illusion of Gaia, might be easier to find that way.

If you like ARPGs like Soul Blazer, Lagoon might be a game worth trying.

I'm not sure which ones were released for the SNES (5 & 6 maybe?) but the Dragon Warrior games are classics, they might be worth checking. All Dragon Warrior titles are a bit similar if you have ever played any other in the series, but they have their moments.

There was also FF Mystic Quest. It's a bit crappy, to be honest, but if you're really bored it's playable.

There was also a game (or were there two of these games?) called Paladin Quest. I personnally hated 'em, but some people love 'em, so they might be worth checking out.

The 7th Saga, also rather crappy but a decent time-waster if you are bored, I guess. There was a second title, Mystic Ark, but I'm not sure it has ever been translated from japanese. It's probably not much better anyway.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Chrono Trigger, while I think it's slightly overrated, it's still a dayum fine game.

Super Mario RPG hasn't aged well, but still fun.

And if you are playing on an emulator, then try a fan translation of the SNES Fire Emblem games.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you haven't played any SNES RPGs, you really need to play Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. Those two games are the pinnacle of RPGs for that generation (in my opinion). Also, Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past is a wonderful action/RPG. 

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Given that the definition of RPG has become pretty loose in the last few years, there are several I can recommend.

Chrono Trigger is excellent.  Great story, great characterization, and you can clock hundreds of hours of gameplay as you explore all the divergent timelines.  

Secret of Mana is an action RPG with really interesting mechanics, a great story, and beautiful music.  

Secret of Evermore is really cleverly written, has some gorgeous worlds to explore, and the alchemy system is really unique.  

Illusion of Gaia has a beautiful story, though kind of linear, and boss battles can be a beast, given the lack of levelling or item shops.

Breath of Fire may seem awfully simplistic by today's standards, but it's a lot of fun.  

Final Fantasy 4 is an excellent example of a story driven rpg.

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals is a lot of fun, if you enjoy long stories and rage-inducing puzzles.  

Legend of Zelda:a Link to the Past is probably one of my favorite games ever.  

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest is super simple, but enjoyable.

Lars Ulrika

I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
It depends what you're looking for. My fav Snes rpg is Earthbound but I'm a sucker for original settings and weird atmospheres.

I can only recommend you Chrono Trigger too , Final Fantasy 6 , Secret of Mana 2 (could only find it on emulator but really really great game), I would say Secret of Evermore if you're not too labyrinthophobe. Never tried Star Ocean but heard only excellent feedback from it.  I really enjoyed Breath of Fire 2 as well.

Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals is a lot of fun, if you enjoy long stories and rage-inducing puzzles.  

That game is really awesome and I can only recommand playing it. The characters are also great and memorable and IT EVEN HAS A ENDGAME!

Oh, one hint btw, you can beat Gades the first time you meet him. You just need a lot of time //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_biggrin.gif

Zortik

The Architect
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Since you didn't specify RPG... here is a fairly healthy list of games I've played a whole lot.

• 7th Saga, The
  • Act Raiser
  • Act Raiser 2
  • Boogerman - A Pick and Flick Adventure
  • Breath of Fire
  • Breath of Fire II
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Chuck Rock
  • Clay Fighter 2 - Judgement Clay
  • Contra III - The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy Kong Quest
  • Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong Double Trouble
  • Double Dragon V - The Shadow Falls
  • Earthbound
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Earthworm Jim 2
  • Final Fantasy II (actually #4)
  • Final Fantasy III (actually #6)
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
  • Gradius III
  • Harvest Moon
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • Killer Instinct
  • King of Dragons, The
  • King of Monsters, The
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Lagoon
  • Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past
  • Lufia & The Fortress of Doom
  • Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals
  • Mega Man VII
  • Mega Man X
  • Mega Man X 2
  • Mega Man x 3
  • Mortal Kombat 3
  • Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
  • Ogre Battle - The March of the Black Queen
  • Paladin's Quest
  • Pit Fighter
  • Power Pigs of the Dark Age
  • Primal Rage
  • R-Type III - The Third Lightning
  • Rock N' Roll Racing
  • Secret of Evermore
  • Secret of Mana
  • Shadowrun
  • Star Fox
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2
  • Street Fighter II - The World Warrior
  • Street Fighter II Turbo - Hyper Fighting
  • Super Adventure Island
  • Super Bomberman
  • Super Bomberman 2
  • Super Bomberman 3
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Smash T.V.
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Turtles In Time
  • Terranigma
  • Wario's Woods
  • Weapon Lord
  • Worms
  • Ys III - Wanderers from Ys
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Actually, @Zortik, OP did specify ROGan, but that's a great list of games!

Zortik

The Architect
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@captainproton Upon reading it for the third time sufficient reading comprehension allowed me to see that you are correct. ^_^

Been awake for far too many hours. However, as you pointed out, it is a nifty list. I'll just leave it since many RPGs were mentioned (although Ogre Battle and a few others were missed).

Srpg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Go immediately for Tactics Ogre, Bahamut Lagoon and Ogre Battle if you want to endless nights of gaming :) They're tactics rpg games though but very fun!

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Chrono Trigger ain't overrated. It took the Final Fantasy battle system and made it not boring and dull. Most random battles were just wow another battle. Chrono Trigger every battle felt fun and refreshing.

Aleks

Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here are my suggestions:

• Secret of Mana
  • Secret of Evermore
  • Final Fantasy VI (wrongfully called "FFIII")
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Star Fox
  • Mortal Kombat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kes wrote on Chef's profile.
I have deleted your profile post as our Rules are quite clear that you may not use them to advertise non-RM products, nor may you give a link to anything that solicits payment for you.
140 Thousand words, take one down, toss it around, discover I hate the direction I went and decide to start a complete rewrite.
I like being a butt to people.
Dirtnap wrote on Tyler Warren's profile.
Hi Tyler,

My name is Sean, I am the owner of an indie studio, and I am looking to get some paid art work done. I am working with MV, but our programmer will be heavily modifying it.

If you are interested, or would like to hear more, I can provide my personal e-mail address.

S.G.
The stream will be live shortly with some more Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BwadeZ