Snowboarding mechanic in RPG MAKER MV.

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dear people of the forum,
I had a question about a certain mechanic that I wanted to use in my game.
It's about snowboarding because I had an idea that a character is going to snowboard down in a parallax side view scroller or top-down. The only problem I have is:

How can I make the character continuously moving forward while the player only needs to move left/or right and jump a few times. (I don't know if this is even possible in this engine.)

If this mechanic is not possible I will remove the idea, I just want to know how to move the character, I can do the background with parallax scrolling,
but the whole eventing thing is just weird to me.

Hopefully, someone can answer this for me.

Thank you!

- Miss Pakacat

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to MV support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Game Mechanics Design is if you want to discuss if you should have such a section in a game, or what purpose the section could serve.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How elaborate do you want it to be?

One option is to fake the entire forward motion. Make it impossible for the player to move left and right, change their spritesheet to only face foward, and have the parallax background scroll across the screen rapidly instead. Then you just have a course manager event that teleports in obstacles and background events at the appropriate times, which are programmed to slide across the screen.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this is certainly possible within MV but to explain it would be to do all the work for you, and you wouldn't learn how to implement it for yourself. this is important because if you want another stage (say, going vertically instead) then you would need to ask all over again. you can constrain player movements and you can use simple scripting to make events appear and disappear.

essentially, you will want to use switches to make events appear, then move those events (obstacles) down toward the player at various speeds. this is easy to do using eventing. then you can make the event delete itself once it goes past the player. self switches and event touches will help with the player contact events, but i think you might need some plugins to enhance that functionality. i've seen such plugins, so it's definitely doable. you can also use eventing to check x, y player position and event positions. start very small. try to get one event to work the way you want it to, then work from there. this is somewhat complex, but it will teach you a lot and i assure you that it's possible to achieve with MV, since it's almost endlessly flexible.

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is actually a nice idea, thanks, I think I will see what I can get with eventing and fast parallax scrolling and move on from there. (changing the switches and what not.)

thank you for the replies, my question has been answered. thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Success, my character has harnessed the power of the particle, and now she leaves a speed streak.:kaopride:

I'm breaking up with QSprite. :kaolivid:
Ami
--- Spoiled Food ---

M.Knight: Oh,no! the Bread has been Mold!
Chef: It's not Mold,it's in Fermentation.
M.Knight: Are you sure?
Chef: Y'know Cheese? It's safe to eat
(Chef eat the Moldy Bread,after that he take into the Hospital with Green Face)
Suddenly I remember the days when I create something just by pure wild imagination. I wasn't thinking about concept, structure, or anything else. Just create (even if it's unfinished in the end). Somehow I kinda want to have that wild imagination again. :D
Google "The Great Stink"
Enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eryops