So GameMaker Studio 2 is getting native support for Nintendo Switch. When's RMMV gonna do the same?

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by ForestLogic, Mar 10, 2018.

1. ForestLogic

ForestLogic Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    https://nintendoeverything.com/gamemaker-studio-2-to-launch-on-switch/

I know RMMV has only been around for just over two years, but this is something super small-scale designers are looking for. The Indie scene is HUGE on Switch right now the other big casual game dev software that isn't RPG Maker just signed a deal to offer native support (probably because of Undertale, lol).

Isn't it about time this becomes a conversation for the RMMV community? I've been heavy in pre-production on a project for almost a year now, and technically am not committed to any program, be it RPG Maker or not. If it came down to it, I would be willing to learn Game Maker instead, if it meant the (albeit small) chance I could someday see the game released on a Nintendo console.

How do we get our voices heard about this? I love RMMV and would love to see it get that kind of mainstream popularity.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It already has been "a conversation for the RMMV community" via discussion about porting to consoles. I'm on my phone so can't do links. Long story short, it's much more technically difficult than one might originally think, and each individual game developer would have to pay a very significant fee to the console company for the right to develop for it.

As for "getting our voices heard", there's the question of which voices for what action by RM. At the moment, all RM developer time is being devoted to getting the best, most stable version of MV on the table. I don't think that anyone is going to divert that considerable time/energy into a different task and many (most?) MV users would not be happy if that happened before all the updates to MV were complete. I could be wrong, however.

The Stranger likes this.
  3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The GameMaker Studio version that allows you to make games for consoles is $400. Are you willing to pay that much for an MV that ports to consoles? How many people would?

Edit: ouch! Make that FROM $400 for UWP, $800 for PS4 and XBox One, or $1500 for all. I doubt many MV users would be interested, considering how many people complained about the $80 pricetag.

4. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Biggest reason? MV is HTML5/CSS with Javascript. Getting that to work on a Switch is not a simple matter. On top of that, you'd have to convert all assets to the Switch's which would require proprietary tools, which would add to the overall cost of MV.

Ninja'd by Shaz on cost. But yeah, RPG Maker, as a whole, is already niche, so adding this would make it virtually unattainable by anyone wanting to dabble with it, thus spelling out it's very swift demise. No thanks.

The Stranger likes this.
  5. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you can export on all console supports html5 webGl.
    PlayStation 4, and Xbox One......

LTN Games likes this.
  6. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Regardless, the engine would have to be optimized to run on said consoles since, as it stands, some people still have issues with running games made in MV on their own PC's, which console hardware is not as powerful as. Requires more work on the part of the developer and people would complain if it didn't work right out of the box. Seen it before.

7. ForestLogic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I absolutely fricking would lol. Anyone with any intention of reaching a wider audience than just their circle of friends should be willing to pay. Not to mention $400-$800 isn't even close to a lot of money in the grand scheme of a major project you intend to commercially release something to the public, unless you're like 17 years old and doing it for fun.

Also, I think a lot of you are missing the point I'm trying to make. I'm not talking about coming up with chintzy workarounds that rely on the individual to put a lot of work into optimizing it for a console. Like I posted in the OP, GameMaker is getting NATIVE support. Not a backend solution. The studio that owns GameMaker actually teamed up with Nintendo to sign a deal and work together to make an export solution that optimizes games for direct export to Switch. I'm saying that Kadokawa or whoever owns RMMV should be doing something similar.

thephoenix112 likes this.
  8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, it's not. But a lot of people on this forum ARE 17 years old and doing it for fun, not to release commercially. Even at $800, the small number of people here who are making commercial games would not be worth the effort/expense of adding this. And some of them would probably head elsewhere if MV cost that much.

9. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    But isn't that RPG Maker already has console version, like RPG Maker Fes?

10. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    This isn't an MV support question.

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion and Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

11. peq42_

peq42_ Yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just jumping in this discussion: Actually consoles are pretty stronger than the PC of those that complain about performance. Basic versions of Xbox One/PS4 for example are as strong as my PC(which has a R7 260X[2GB], 8GB DDR3, FX-6300) which runs MV games without problems(if they were well made, not having stuff like 10 parallel process events at the same map)

@TOPC:
    I have heard about the interest of kadokawa about console export in MV(That was last year), but I don't know when/if it will come. Maybe as said above, they're just making MV stable/better before releasing console port.

12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It would probably honestly require a new engine, and not one based on HTML5 (which I personally would like, as I feel the HTML5 has slowed down the engine way too much) to make it native support. And it would also cost a LOT of money too.

Plus do you honestly think Nintendo is going to let RPGMaker games be released on the switch after all the bad press we got on Steam due to everyone flooding greenlight and steam direct with shoddy games? I somehow don't think so. I honestly don't even see them letting Gamestudio games through the door either though, except the REALLY good ones, if that. Remember, unlike Steam, Nintendo actually has quality control on what gets released, at least at the moment.

djDarkX and Jonforum like this.
  13. peq42_

peq42_ Yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't believe so... Javascript is a language supported by many(if not all) systems and probably the only one which will run things almost the same way in all of them(Not even Java will do that so well as javascript does, and would also add requirement of jvms). Honestly with all the updates for MV to run better on mobiles + Chromium 61 on PC, the performance is pretty decent. For PC, chromium 61 (+ the desktop optimization that yanfly always does) makes MV[1.6+] games have even better performance than VX Ace. For mobile, performance on almost any phone with android 6+ will be mostly fine(There are limitations yes, but every engine will have when porting to mobile), and developers are always focusing on it's performance, so things tend to get better.

Porting to console would only be hard for 2 things:
    -License(all of them requires a license, but those can the bought/got directly from the enterprises behind them, RM don't need to sell it with the engine. Look at unity3d/Unreal example.).
    -The game would need a browser to run, so kadokawa would need to develop one for each console(Which probably is not that hard, since console's systems are not as fragmented as android/iOS, but I've never tried, so I don't know. All I know is that most of them support HTML5/javascript and webgl/canvas).

14. ForestLogic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's true, but why not make it an option? I don't think anyone anywhere thinks the asking price for RMMV should be $800, of course that'd be silly. But if Kadokawa were interested in partnering with Nintendo (which they've done in the past, as someone mentioned, RPG Maker Fes exists) I don't see what's the harm in letting serious designers put money behind their work on top of the software costing its usual $20-$80 price tag, to let it reach a wider audience.

Plus this also solves the issue of Nintendo's QAQI, since (most) people making trash games aren't gonna be willing to pay a big chunk of money just to troll.
    (Though not for nothin, plenty of indie games get past Nintendo on the Switch which aren't particularly quality offerings either, lol)

15. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I can think of a few reasons. Because Kadokawa might not be a big enough company to spare enough resources (people, money, ect) to making an elite console making option. Because the costs of making it are too high in comparison to the projected sales. Because playing helpdesk for that type of release would be a big pain and they just don't want to deal with that. Because having that option might be viewed badly by the people using the cheaper option, like Kadokawa is abandoning them, which would negatively effect sales.

Archeia and djDarkX like this.
  16. peq42_

peq42_ Yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually they have more than enough money. Probably even more than YoyoGames, since they work with many other things, and RPG Maker has sold(steam data) lots of times more than Game maker.
    If you take a quick look at wikipedia, Kadokawa has 12 Subsidiaries(Which includes big ones, like film companies) and has lots of magas, magazines and video games published(Was also founded in 1945, so not a young company at all)

About the bad reputation: As said before, nintendo(and other console companies) filters what enters and what doesn't in their stores, so probably that won't be a problem.

17. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Still, more isn't always better. I've seen this happen way too often in business, where they feel more = better, but in the end they provide shoddy product or service as they are too focused on quantity instead of quality. In fact, usually the first way to drive your business into the ground is to lose what makes it unique, as that will drive off your steady customers, and usually you lose more than you gain that way.

I see it happen all the time with restaurants. If you serve good fish, focus on the fish. Don't feel you have to shove in bad quality hamburgers, salads, steaks, etc just to please everyone, especially if it causes the quality of your fish to go down. Let them focus on getting the PC version of MV up and running well, THEN maybe talk about support for other systems. As it is, if they were to suddenly focus on that it would take away from resources for making the PC version of MV better, which would tick of a huge percentage of those using it (remember most using RPGMaker are making for PC, not other engines), and honestly would alienate more than it would please, at least right now.

Side Note: If everyone is hopping on the switch right now, unless you can get a game out in 1 year or less, don't bother. The secret to doing well as a business is to not chase what everyone else chases, as usually it only works for the first few to get their foot in the door. The rest just go broke. Look up what happened to all those who chased Dungeon Masters success, or Diablo, or StarCraft, or WOW. Many bankrupt companies, very few successes.

Jonforum and djDarkX like this.
  18. peq42_

peq42_ Yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes but at the same time, companies that don't expand and search new markets fast enough tend to die or be sold and then scrapped until closed.

Actually most of those huge ones died because of those who chased their sucess, making something similar yet new from it. From diablo, path of exile, From Starcraft(Not the game, but from that game-style) Mobas, and...well... MMO's simply died(at least, that way of making MMO died), but from their way of working, new styles of F2P came.
    And what you said about "Only the first ones succeed" couldn't be more far from true. Take a look at youtube: It didn't died, there's no youtube 2/Pro/Evolved version, no new competition to it in the last...10 years? And yet, new channels always appear and get popular all over the world each year. It's all a matter of who creates the best content.

19. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Youtube is the odd exception, there are always exceptions (plus, who has the server space to compete? I've heard people say they would leave youtube if there was another option, but no one has the server space to compete with google who owns it now). But it is so rare to be an exception in games when it comes to this. Plus, this is now off-topic so probably best discussed elsewhere.

20. peq42_

peq42_ Yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Facebook/twitter pages are examples too.Actually Internet(Browser part) itself is another example similar. Steam is a closer example to Game's reality: Most games that are getting popular now, are indies(Look the top 10 right now, half of them are indie/small companies games),and that's a tendency all over the world nowadays. Google play is another example(It's never the same games that are popular, there are always new ones, and big games don't take alway the public of smaller ones) and so on.

It's not a rare thing for the best/funniest to be popular, it's actually the most common thing(Maybe on consoles things are a bit harder, since it's not as free/open as other platforms, but the rule will still apply, as it's made by humans and played by humans, as everything else)

EDIT: By the way it was too late when I saw "it is becoming an off topic", i'm sorry...