So, I Broke the Character Generator...

Elise727

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was going through the forum for resources; added some, deleted some, put some back and now I've gotten into a massive tangled mess in which no icons show up at all--Not even the bodies. Can anyone help, please? :kaosigh:Screenshot (68).png

Last edited:

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I know the struggle, it happened to me a while back. Have you tried reinstalling? I reccomend exporting your projects to the desktop, while still being editable. Then completley deleting rpg maker, and then reinstalling. Sense your projects are now on the desktop, they won't be deleted when you delete rpg maker and reinstall

Edit: I'd reccomend asking how to export your projects in an editable state before doing this method though. Sense i'm most familiar with ace, and the screenshot is MV i won't know how to do that

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe the character generator is a part of the engine and not a part of projects, so unless your projects are saved in the folder where you have MV installed (which should not be the case), there's no need to move them. However, if you want to be extra sure, you can simply copy the entire project folder to another location/drive, to give yourself a backup, which is a good habit to be in anyway.

I think you've just made a mistake when adding your new resources, and agree that removing and reinstalling MV should fix it for you. But then you'll need to go through the correct steps to add the new resources you want.

I suggest after reinstalling, check to make sure everything works, and then make a backup of the generator folder. That way, if you make a mistake and it messes things up again, you can just remove the contents of the generator folder and copy it in again from your backup, rather than reinstalling the whole engine.

Good luck :)

Elise727

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That didn't help at all. :LZSsad:

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That didn't help at all. :LZSsad:
You need to do a clean install. Everything BUT your games files need to be deleted and replaced with a new installation of MV. (that is, for it to be a clean install)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It must have helped. If it didn't, you didn't do it properly. State exactly what you did - each step.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would just uninstall through steam. Go to your software list and right click MV, then click "uninstall" Then re-install it through steam.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Delete and Uninstall are not the same things.

Elise727

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would just uninstall through steam. Go to your software list and right click MV, then click "uninstall" Then re-install it through steam.
That's what I did.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not the Steam folder, the Steam app.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The screenshot above shows that you deleted it via Windows Explorer. That is not uninstalling. To uninstall, you need to open Steam, choose the application, and tell it to uninstall.

The other thing is - you don't have two versions of MV, do you? The Steam version AND the standalone version? Uninstalling/deleting one will not affect the other, so if you uninstalled/reinstalled the Steam version, but you're running the standalone version, that won't have changed anything.

Elise727

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The screenshot above shows that you deleted it via Windows Explorer. That is not uninstalling. To uninstall, you need to open Steam, choose the application, and tell it to uninstall.

The other thing is - you don't have two versions of MV, do you? The Steam version AND the standalone version? Uninstalling/deleting one will not affect the other, so if you uninstalled/reinstalled the Steam version, but you're running the standalone version, that won't have changed anything.
I uninstalled MV through Steam, then reinstalled it. And downloaded trial MV before buying it in a Humble Bundle Sale that came with MV, VXAce, VX, XP, and a whole bunch of DLC.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Which one are you using to open your project? (standalone or steam?)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're not sure which one you're using to open your project, you could just uninstall them both, then reinstall them both.

Though I think the steam version has a steam icon somewhere in the toolbar, while the standalone version doesn't. Couldn't tell you what to look for or where though, as I only use the standalone version.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
*Sigh* what? If you need more help, you need to say what you've done, and what the result was. We're trying to assist you, but you're being very vague about everything and making it difficult for us to know what you're doing. Your *Sigh* was 5 minutes after you said you'd try something else - does that mean you're impatient that nobody has responded in a whole 5 minutes?

Note double posting is against the forum rules - and especially useless when you're not actually adding anything of importance. If you have more information to add and yours is the last post, use the Edit button to add it.

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Open up Steam library, right-click on RPG Maker MV, and hit "Uninstall..."
upload_2019-9-28_19-18-19.png
Then, just reinstall it and open your project again.

Elise727

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Open up Steam library, right-click on RPG Maker MV, and hit "Uninstall..."
View attachment 124501
Then, just reinstall it and open your project again.
That was the thing I did. I downloaded some parts from the Resource Workshop and started putting them in. I checked the generator several times, and at some point, it just removed all the images.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm having such a hard time thinking of an interesting battle system. and not being a coder, certain things I wanna do seem a lot harder lol.
Created a character outline with some code. I have no use for this. I'm....bored.....
Having lots of fun using different PS brushes to add a lil' texture to the floors and walls in my maps.
Setup a system to cull enemies that are too far from the player to matter, and to spawn new ones just outside of view. Take that lag! :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harmlessgamedev