So I get a Windows copy AND a Mac copy with one purchase?

kaisielizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My friend and I want to make a game together, and he has a PC while I have a Mac. If he makes the purchase on his PC, could I use the Steam code to download the Mac copy? So we'd each have our own copy with just one purchase? Or am I misunderstanding?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even if you could do that with two different operating systems, it would be illegal to do so. The EULA states you cannot share keys with friends.

kaisielizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Even if you could do that with two different operating systems, it would be illegal to do so. The EULA states you cannot share keys with friends.
Is there a way for me to read the EULA for RPG Maker MV before I purchase it?

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm honestly not certain. Are you mainly wanting the parts that pertain to this matter? If so, I can paste that part in here for you.

kaisielizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm honestly not certain. Are you mainly wanting the parts that pertain to this matter? If so, I can paste that part in here for you.
I think I found it. Though the EULA was labeled to be for VX Ace:

"ENTERBRAIN grants to Licensee a non-exclusive, non-assignable license to use the Software on only one (1) computer by installing the Software, and Licensee cannot use the Software concurrently by and on multiple computers."

I don't quite understand that. If I get a code for the PC, and then a separate code for Mac, wouldn't that count as 2 separate instances of the program? Or does 1 purchase = 1 "Software?"

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One purchase is one software. The code for Steam is meant to merely be a convenience for you.

I don't know where you could buy with a single purchase of MV that would give you codes for two different platforms like that. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I don't think the purchasing works that way.

kaisielizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
One purchase is one software. The code for Steam is meant to merely be a convenience for you.

I don't know where you could buy with a single purchase of MV that would give you codes for two different platforms like that. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I don't think the purchasing works that way.
The description of the purchase page implied that I got a copy for each platform. But I understand it. My friend and I will each get our own copies :] Thanks for your help!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you misread. And really, you only get one key that works for both non-Steam and Steam. But right now, MV is on sale the cheapest it's ever been on Steam, so I'd seriously look into that.

edit: I see the description and why you would think that.

Ravos9988

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A bit late to the game, but just a quick piggy back question.

I have MV installed on my laptop right now, but I'm wanting to install it on my desktop so I can run dual screen editor & browser w/tuts. If I wanted to run MV on both computers (desktop & laptop) I'd need to buy TWO copies of MV, is that about right?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Ravos9988 , please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Please next time just start a new thread.

To answer your question though, what you want to do is fine. The EULA is really to prevent multiple people using the same key to get around purchasing it. You personally using it on two of your own computers is okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It took me 6 retries to get the color of Yoshi I wanted. 30 mins of recording. 30 mins of voice work. Probably another 20 mins of waiting in between takes. But finally I got him...
I bought a 2 week emergency food supply. And people are already making fun of me :( I'll be fed for a bit while they go hungry when food supplies get cut(for whatever reason).
Start of semester today. This is going to be a long one.
Can't wait for the next Sonichu
Birdhouses are usually made of wood. Birds typically live in trees. Trees are wood. Birdhouses are made of birdhouses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karqui