Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What the title says. I have a horizontally looping map and I want to use an image as a overlay (for shadows and such). Up until recently I've been using Galv's "LayersGraphics" plugin but I don't think he supports it anymore and it can't handle looping maps right now anyway.

Any other techniques/plugins/ways to put this overlay image above everything? I'm open to creative solutions if there's no stable plugin for it. If I run out of options I might try to hack the image up into smaller ones and make events out of them (set to "above player") and place all over the map... but that's a really dirty solution and I don't even know how well it would work. Or what it would do with the performance.

Last edited:

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could try TTK FixPicture (it's here on RMW somewhere), but I've not tried it with looping maps. Basically that plugin allows you to use the built in showpicture event at specific XY coordinates on your map when you have a specific prefix to your picture. I don't know if it will work or not, but it's definitely worth trying out.

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What the title says. I have a horizontally looping map and I want to use an image as a overlay (for shadows and such). Up until recently I've been using Galv's "LayersGraphics" plugin but I don't think he supports it anymore and it can't handle looping maps right now anyway.

Any other techniques/plugins/ways to put this overlay image above everything? I'm open to creative solutions if there's no stable plugin for it. If I run out of options I might try to hack the image up into smaller ones and make events out of them (set to "above player") and place all over the map... but that's a really dirty solution and I don't even know how well it would work. Or what it would do with the performance.
Im also using layergraphics of GALV. And yes, im pretty sure he supports looping.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Eliaquim
You say it does support looping maps? I don't know anything about that so if that's true please do explain how to make that work. Can't find anything about it in the help file.

@Mrs_Allykat
Thanks for the tip. Tried it and unfortunally it didn't work with looping maps. It might still be a good alternative to TTD's "BindPictureToMap" that I've also been using before (but I think that plugins has memory leaks and other problems). Also TTD's plugin have not been supported for a long time now. Well, @Fogomax doesn't seem too active either so maybe his plugin also have run out of support?

Found the plugin here btw: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/fix-picture.50594/

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Eliaquim
You say it does support looping maps? I don't know anything about that so if that's true please do explain how to make that work. Can't find anything about it in the help file.
Found the plugin here btw: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/fix-picture.50594/

Hi! Sorry for the late answer, but there is the part of help file that show it can be looping:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plugin Commands (Quick)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAYER MAPID ID GRAPHIC XSPEED YSPEED OPACITY Z XSHIFT YSHIFT BLEND

And

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAP NOTES
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to using the plugin calls, you can setup layers on each map in
the NOTE section of the map settings. Do this in the same way as the plugin
call except do not add the map ID.

LAYER ID GRAPHIC XSPEED YSPEED OPACITY Z XSHIFT YSHIFT BLEND

These layers can be changed as normal with plugin commands.

I think if you use one of theses properties you can set it to loop.
I use that a long time ago, and somehow i made it.

But alternatively, and i think, without exclude the gal layers from your project you can use Foreground.js of Kadokawa.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Eliaquim
Thank you. I just got recommend the "Foreground.js" plugin from @IguanaGuy as well and that did the trick. Placing a "!" before the filename and setting the X & Y scroll speed to "0" made it a static overlay and it both looks and works great! :) Exactly what I needed.

Also since it's a Kadokawa plugin I'll assume it'll stay up to date as long as the engine is being updated and that makes it more reliable than Galv's plugin - which I have a lot of love for. But since Galv doesn't seem to be around any more(?), future updates might crash it. :kaocry:

Anyway, thanks everyone for your time and help~ :kaoluv:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Goes looking for assets, ends up creating memes. I have priorities?
i'm working on finishing an old game in vx ace (the first game i tried to make in vx ace), and it's making me realize how many things i've come to take for granted in mv (like the additional BCDE tile layer and the plugin manager).
It's ma birfday! Gonna chill and work on my project, editing some icons for my compass rn. Later It's pizza and a movie, maybe Blazing Saddles...
I really hope Google stadia/Amazon luna become successful household "consoles" in the future only because I could see it being 1000x easier to get RPG Maker and other indie games on their platforms & if so I PRAY they have gate keepers to keep half baked indie games out of the mix so they don't end up like steam/itch.io with 1000s of incomplete RM projects that continue to give our community a bad stigma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nefhis