So, I'm playing Final Fantasy VIII...

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by MechScapeZH, Jul 6, 2019.

1. MechScapeZH

MechScapeZH Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ...Huh. OK. He's such a passive character (at least so far) that I'd sooner call him bland than unlikable.

2. 1ce

1ce Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I remember hating it the first time around because I couldn't understand the GF system and how to use it. Certainly didn't help the game doesn't outright give you the first two GF's.

I really enjoy the setting and the music; the idea behind a military school is an interesting one, and I'm disappointed more games haven't explored the idea. The world really feels alive and there are so many little neat touches to the game that I like, such as hidden draw spots and lots of worldbuilding.

The game really drops off for me after disk 1, however. I guess it's because the game goes larger than life at this point, and the game changes gears to be more about the big picture than the small details. I do have this same complaint with most square titles.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  3. MechScapeZH

MechScapeZH Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I'm not sure if anyone is following this thread but...

I just finished Disc 1 & started Disc 2- I just finished the Laguna flashback & I'm currently at the part where Squall's party is captured by Seifer.

I just wanted to put my thoughts down...

-I'm not sure how to feel about Irvine- he seemed like a complete jerk at first - I hated him-(leave Selphie alone, my gosh...!), but then he couldn't take the shot at the sorceress, so I felt kind of sorry for him... He's all talk. He wants to show off and look cool, but it's all an act. That's the impression I get from him.
    -Zell continues to be great.
    -Carbuncle is in this game! (It's always been my favorite summon.) It made the Sorceress far too easy, though. Her AI wasn't planned out too well... Every time I used Carbuncle, she just kept casting Dispel to get rid of the Reflect status, but since GFs can be used infinitely I just used Carbuncle again, causing her to Dispel the status... I was essentially able to negate her attacks entirely by trapping her in this loop.
    -Laguna continues to be the most interesting character. I find that I'm more invested in his story than anyone else's... I want to see him find some sort of happy ending.

4. Gallia

Gallia Global Support Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My experience of FF8 started of normal, i didn't really like the main characters, however i really really liked the game near the end, when basically things hit the fan hard, many conclusions made and of course i loved the ending.
    I really like how the characters develop in 8, gameplaywise i like the added/unique mechanics , however i didn't like the grind of it all tbh, i still prefer FF4, FF6 or FF10 in terms of grinding.

MechScapeZH likes this.