So I've moved from pen to tablets...

BestsellingFictionPodcast

Helping self-published authors get more readers ,
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I do a lot of artwork and paintings. It's fun being featured in cafes, sketching random people that you meet. Recently I started entering juried art shows. My friend recently got into doing webcomics, which led to me buying a bamboo touch tablet.

So I have this tablet. And I really want to do manga-style drawings with it. It's fun but also incredibly awkward to use so far, mostly because I haven't found the right drawing program. Adobe Photoshop doesn't seem like a good choice. A google search got me interested in using illustrator to do vector graphics.

I've seen that there's some incredible talent on here. I could use some direction. How did you all get started and what are ways to cut down on the learning curve (tutorials, videos, programs to use) and things to avoid.

All replies much appreciated! The sooner I can get this handled, the sooner I can start up an art thread and start doing homework assignments for people that want artwork.

P_130129b.jpg

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is the attached thumbnail some of your stuff or just taken from something as an example?

And I would definitely have said Photoshop/GIMP for this kind of thing.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
PaintTool SAI is perfect for Lineart. I recommend using that one instead tbh. It's lighter than Photoshop.

But if you want to use Photoshop then it's just the Hard Round Brush tool and you need to play a bit with the brush settings.

There's also manga studio but quite frankly, I never liked it.

I made a tutorial ages ago, it's not that awesome but I think it -could- be a good starting point?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jawnsunn

glass cannon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have a tablet too. I had it for a at least a year. And I still haven't been able to make a single drawing

without a messy curve or a straight line. Except pixel art, but I can just use a mouse for that.

But I'm a pretty impatient guy. All my life before tablets, I just did rough sketches and doodles.

My advice(from an inexperienced guy), is to just get a feel for your tablet. Use it regularly and at some point

the that tablet will stop becoming awkward to use. Looking forward to seeing your art here.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the replies.

West Mains - Yes, I drew that. I did it with marker and felt pen.

Archeia - Appreciate the link. I'll take a look at it.

Jawnsunn - I've been doing that. I'll be starting an art thread soon.

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
West Mains - Yes, I drew that. I did it with marker and felt pen.
I so jelly.

Yo, if you ever wanna do a webcomic with an insane plot, hit me up. I had one in the "ohshititshappening" stages, but then the artist dropped out. Was thinking of turning it into a screenplay and pitching it to the BBC, but it'd be too expesnive by about the third page. :p

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I so jelly.

Yo, if you ever wanna do a webcomic with an insane plot, hit me up. I had one in the "ohshititshappening" stages, but then the artist dropped out. Was thinking of turning it into a screenplay and pitching it to the BBC, but it'd be too expesnive by about the third page. :p
Thanks for the offer. I love insane plots, so if it gets done, please send me a PM.

Others:

I think Manga Studio is what I'm looking for. Combined with Poser I should have the tools I need to get this matter handled promptly. Be on the lookout for my art shop, I will be setting up one soon and taking homework - I mean art - requests.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

They're watching...
Unbenannt.png
currently working on some template sprites and tweaking the walk cycle :)
Lunee.jpg
Early try to draw our Demon Countess, who destroyed her own soul leaving just an empty shell of a body - until our heroine unwillingly takes possession of it, every time she falls asleep.
(I know it’s a premade face from the Dark Fantasy Set, but I spent so much time with her, that I can’t bring myself to change the sprite anymore xD)
I finished setting up my new desk and apparently she thinks this is where she goes now.

20210411_082331.jpg
not me baking a pie because i was inspired by celeste

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YukiSanMoji