So, uh, what's this 3D Character Converter tool that comes with Unite?

r66r

Fantasy dreamer... sometimes.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As already discussed on this forum, RPG Maker Unite will be released (probably) in 2022. If we don't know much about it yet, one thing is certain, that the character generator we had in MV and MZ will disappear. In compensation, we are proposed a new tool and a new creation process that will be discussed in this thread.

So instead of having a character generator included with the maker, we will have a tool external to RPG Maker Unite, which can be purchased separately (but is free with Unite), and which allows the converted images to be used in all RPG Maker programs (and maybe others too?). The way it works is simple: convert VRM models of 3D characters into 2D sprite sets.

However, designing your own character in the medieval fantasy or SciFi style will not be as easy as with the character generator we know. You will first have to create a 3D character in tools like Vroid Studio (which by default has only "modern" resources), Unity, Blender or similar, and then export it to VRM format. Or acquire predefined VRM models that can be downloaded or purchased online... probably a new market for some of the artists in the RPG Maker community on the horizon!

In short, a real (r)evolution to bring more diversity to character creation in our RPG Makers games? A commercial move that, in practice, will only make our lives more complicated? Or in the end it will not change your current practices with the existing Makers or Unite?

What do you think about it?

Note: I deliberately chose a thread title close to the one dedicated to RPG Maker Unite, in order to find them more easily... as there is no official thread about them here yet.

Source: 3D Character Converter - A Convenient Mini-Tool

Edit: extension of the thread theme to the new creation process as well, not only to the new conversion tool.

Last edited:

Broliant112

The Emo One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think RPGM:Unite in general has loads upon loads of potential, but it can easily take a full 180 and then proceed to crash and burn, so I honestly don't know. I think it sounds a bit tedious but could work.

r66r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think RPGM:Unite in general has loads upon loads of potential
In terms of potential, I totally agree. As much as Unite brings improvements in the creation process, this conversion tool is a real plus, in my opinion, for those who want to go further than what the character generator allows:
  • simplification of character creation: no more generator parts, but only one 3D model to design to cover all basic moves (map, battle)
  • possibility to convert into 2D sprites without frame constraints (free to have a walking movement in 3, 6 or more frames, source)
  • freedom to have characters of any size/style (tall, chibi, etc.)
Theoretically, we could even imagine importing VRM models of any kind of objects/animals/characters and turning them into sprites. That's why I'm so enthusiastic! :LZSexcite:

My fear, however, is the loss of productivity to generate NPCs. I'm not a (pixel) artist, so I depend a lot on the generator to produce dozens of NPCs to populate my maps, and this with simple changes of parameters (adding/modifying the beard, skin colour, change of clothes, etc.). With this new process proposed by the converter, it will be necessary to create/modify each NPC individually, which will certainly take more time than using generator parts.

So, if there are any VTubers in this community, or people experienced with 3D tools like VRoid Studio, I'd be happy to get their feedback on the character creation/customization process... and the possibilities of customizing existing models or the problems/limitations encountered in doing so.

Broliant112

The Emo One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In terms of potential, I totally agree. As much as Unite brings improvements in the creation process, this conversion tool is a real plus, in my opinion, for those who want to go further than what the character generator allows:
  • simplification of character creation: no more generator parts, but only one 3D model to design to cover all basic moves (map, battle)
  • possibility to convert into 2D sprites without frame constraints (free to have a walking movement in 3, 6 or more frames, source)
  • freedom to have characters of any size/style (tall, chibi, etc.)
Theoretically, we could even imagine importing VRM models of any kind of objects/animals/characters and turning them into sprites. That's why I'm so enthusiastic! :LZSexcite:

My fear, however, is the loss of productivity to generate NPCs. I'm not a (pixel) artist, so I depend a lot on the generator to produce dozens of NPCs to populate my maps, and this with simple changes of parameters (adding/modifying the beard, skin colour, change of clothes, etc.). With this new process proposed by the converter, it will be necessary to create/modify each NPC individually, which will certainly take more time than using generator parts.

So, if there are any VTubers in this community, or people experienced with 3D tools like VRoid Studio, I'd be happy to get their feedback on the character creation/customization process... and the possibilities of customizing existing models or the problems/limitations encountered in doing so.
To be honest, if you still have the old generator on a purchased RPGMaker you still have that. Also I thought RPGM:Unite would be 2D, but I guess not LOL

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To be honest, if you still have the old generator on a purchased RPGMaker you still have that. Also I thought RPGM:Unite would be 2D, but I guess not LOL
It is...that's why this tool is converting models to 2D sprites.

r66r

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To be honest, if you still have the old generator on a purchased RPGMaker you still have that.
You are right. But if this converter allows me to easily generate characters sprites that are taller/more mature than the MV/MZ chibi (like the ones already presented as default assets provided with Unite), I'm in for day one... unless it becomes a pain because of the (maybe more complicated) process of creating the 3D models to be converted.

So, the more information I gather on this topic, the clearer my decision will be to acquire (or not) this tool when it is released.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Clarn Hold
(No storylines)
There was a tutorial on how to draw anime eyes. Just draw Among Us. So I tried.
Screenshot_107.jpg
DamageActor3_7.png added!
index.php

Making a "characters first appearance" drawing for my game. Now I just have to finish the sprite art animation for her grand entrance.​
ScreenShot_9_24_2022_7_56_24.png
New area being started today. It leads to one of the games 2 optional bosses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dulichvungtaudl3m