So, uh, what's this RPG Maker Unite thing?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They have made a big number of changes to how game switches work (and even added the feature to items)
wrong, nothing changed on how switches work - even the item condition was already present in almost all previous makers.

what they did is add a visualisation to where the switches are used in the game project, something like an advanced event searcher - and that was only possible now because they added a tool for storyboarding that didn't exist previously.

but there is absolutely no change on how switches work at all.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Q1: Will 3D RPG development be supported?
A1:
RPG Maker Unite does not officially support 3D RPG. We are certainly very
aware of the demand for making 3D games or classic RPG games with 3D elements without coding! However, our first priority for RPG Maker Unite is to bring most of
the fundamental features of past RPG Maker titles onto Unity, plus an emphasis on ease-of-development for both young and veteran developers.
Although we cannot provide official support, advanced users who cannot wait, are free to modify RMU through Unity to attempt accommodating 3D. That being said, 3D is always within our vision, whether as a post launch add-on of Unite or a totally new product. We are always evaluating what sort of tools we can make to best serve the community!

Does that mean what I think it means? Are we finally free to edit the editor portions themselves?
:ewat:

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wrong, nothing changed on how switches work - even the item condition was already present in almost all previous makers.

what they did is add a visualisation to where the switches are used in the game project, something like an advanced event searcher - and that was only possible now because they added a tool for storyboarding that didn't exist previously.

but there is absolutely no change on how switches work at all.
OK so maybe I read it wrong. Sorry about that.

EDIT: I have changed the information in my original post to clarify this.

Last edited:

jigida70

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Where can I see the Devlogs for Unite? I'm really only interested in using the database and event system, and then integrating those into other Unity assets. I'm working on an AR/VR RPG, and the RPG Maker backend would be really helpful. I would love to be able to trigger Unity events from the event pages, and have colliders trigger the event pages.

This is an example of what I'm looking to create (uses RPG Maker MV RTP only for visualization, I have no interest in using the RTP in an actual game).

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Does that mean what I think it means? Are we finally free to edit the editor portions themselves?
:ewat:
I doubt it. It probably just means "we're just gonna let somebody make a plugin for that."

CG-Tespy

Professional Persona Panderer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They very strongly implied that you'll be able to mod the source much like you could for RMs from XP onward. I wonder how they're going to implement the Plugin-Manager-like feature... I mean, you can add and use your own scripts by default in Unity without some fancy manager. Just what benefits will coders get from adhering to it rather than just doing things the old-fashioned way...

"Does that mean what I think it means? Are we finally free to edit the editor portions themselves?"

Probably, though it seems you'll have to do it through Unity's built-in editor-scripting API. As opposed to something RMU will provide

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder how they're going to implement the Plugin-Manager-like feature... I mean, you can add and use your own scripts by default in Unity without some fancy manager.
the direct scripting is what was/is available on RMXP/VX/VXA.
the plugin manager is more than a way to add scripts, it also provides an API for data configuration.

If I read correctly if you add a script in Unity, the scripter would be responsible for programming any interface to that script - and that is probably where the manager comes in, providing a premade interface for that data transfer, in order to allow non-scripters to better use those scripts.

KawaiiKid

Local Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder if this is considered the next "tier" of rpg maker, or just a spinoff.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KawaiiKid
that is something I wondered from the beginning, because the first posts read more like a spinoff, and the company has programmed a lot of spinoffs in the last five years.

still give it a 50/50, and it will partially depend on how good or bad the program will be received after the community can work with it for a while.

shininblade

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Other
i think it's a new rpg maker due to being unity, but at the end of the day, it's going to be another $200 price range for limited resources, leaving the community to do all the coding and creating resources cause of lack luster releases, just look at MZ asks for $100, has nothing and required the community to make it better.

Though im hoping i'm wrong and they actually put enough resources and commands in the engine so we dont require 500 scripts to make things work.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so we dont require 500 scripts to make things work.
you never needed any script or plugin in any maker to make a game.
you only needed them if you wanted to make a different game than the type of game the makers were intended to be used for.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Unity has a component system where you can add functionality onto game objects by adding components. A component can be a custom C# script. Here is an example where AIShip script onto one of my objects in my game.
1656246982955.png
The Task Name field is something defined by the code through the use of a special attribute.
1656247181409.png
I update this field in the code so while playing my game in the unity editor I can pause and inspect.

Another important element in user customization is scriptable objects. Take for example this asset:
1656247431832.png

It contains two colors and a floating point value. I specified the asset through code:
1656247376756.png

All this stuff is presenting in the editor and can seen and typically be modified when test playing your game. Pausing the game and checking stuff out is something I frequently do.

I hope this gives you a taste of the customization options in Unity.
Maybe the plugin manager is more about reducing the learning curve than having an actual need.
I'm rather curious as for how it'll work with Unite.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
i think it's a new rpg maker due to being unity, but at the end of the day, it's going to be another $200 price range for limited resources, leaving the community to do all the coding and creating resources cause of lack luster releases, just look at MZ asks for $100, has nothing and required the community to make it better.

Though im hoping i'm wrong and they actually put enough resources and commands in the engine so we dont require 500 scripts to make things work.
And by "required the community to make it better" you mean, "get ready to pay an additional $100+ for features, most of which should be baseline" because everyone knows that what happened to mz is going to happen again with unite.

I dunno, maybe the golden age of MV was just a fluke.

shininblade

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Other
And by "required the community to make it better" you mean, "get ready to pay an additional $100+ for features, most of which should be baseline" because everyone knows that what happened to mz is going to happen again with unite.

I dunno, maybe the golden age of MV was just a fluke.
That is exactly what i mean :)

Fionn23

Eternal Noob
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Using C#, we can do the better multithreading, right?

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Yup. You can also play around compute shaders if you so desire.
Don't underestimate how much can be done with a single thread though.

Nenen

Unproven Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm just glad that this 'Outline Editor' system is being used to help visualize other elements in RPG development.
I was really hoping for something to help make conversation trees and choices easier to keep track of, or to construct in the first place.

watermark

Playing around with MZ
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm just glad that this 'Outline Editor' system is being used to help visualize other elements in RPG development.
I was really hoping for something to help make conversation trees and choices easier to keep track of, or to construct in the first place.
While I think the outline editor looks kinda cool and would be excited to try it, I am a little worried it may become less efficient than the "code-like" page we have with the traditional RMs now.

This editor looks a lot like the product Articy Draft 3, which I saw some videos of but haven't used. Has anyone used Articy btw? Was it useful?

Anyway, I'm worried that all the line dragging and what not might slow down development. People who've used Playmaker or even Visio would know what I mean:

1. It takes time to drag lines and connect the dots. It wastes more time than you would expect.
2. These visual elements take up a lot of screen real estate, which forces the user to scroll around a lot if there's more info.

That's why I prefer the cleaner, code-like "old" RM UI over a PlayMaker-like UI.

But who knows, maybe the new UI will be better. Or maybe Unite will offer both views?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.
ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png
Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meshowz