So, uh, what's this RPG Maker Unite thing?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
they also removed the "estimated 2022", so they probably decided to take longer to program it right.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
they also removed the "estimated 2022", so they probably decided to take longer to program it right.
Which I basically already mentioned. I was originally going to plan for this to have a few things ready by February which is as long as I planned to take out money for Unity Pro, but that's not looking very likely right now. Also, with the price going up by around $40 once my term is over I think I will change back to creating an Xbox interface for MV (but with the newer WebView2 so that I can also support MZ in addition to being more up to date) and will revisit this if I'm able to get enough market support to do a sequel.

EDIT: I may also be getting it for the assets without regard for what happens. There may be a few ideas that I can throw around for game jams at some point, or even something that fits my existing work (which is something that already happened with MZ).

Last edited:

123edc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
well, sure they're going to say that ...
i mean, they still wanna sell all the fancy stuff on super mega sale, right?

that said, these "template" system ... it's a double edged sword

on one hand, it is great for newcomers - allowing them, to build ontop already existing
on the other hand it bears the great risk of the already similar looking low-effort games getting to look even more and more similar with tamplate-based shovel ware output en-masse ... which kind of is a bad thing, considering, that unity seems to be geared towards the more serious type of dev ... but ... well

as for the other parts ...
well ... since it still looks like generator parts and vrm-conversion will not be compatible with each other ... i can't see too much reason for unite ... most of the "interesting" things could as well be done with plugins on mz *looks sad*

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
But you're still gonna get stuff like "return 100" in the unite equivalent of Game_BattlerBase.prototype.maxTp, calling it now. :)

watermark

Playing around with MZ
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Back then I guessed that Unite will be released sometime in September of 2022.
Guess I was way off.

A_Higher_Plane

Spiritual person, self-improvement geek, Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now that it's the second half of November 2022 and that they took off "estimated 2022" release, it is doubtful that they will release it this year.

And the more I learn about this engine the less I'm impressed.

I personally know Unity programming quite well.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, it happened. Spring 2023 it is.

thesteven

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would use unity none stop if I knew how to make 3D art. Somebody made an adventure game engine for Unity that is really good. Makes it super simple to create games like telltale use to make or any type of point and click adventure you want (doesn't even have to be point and click, free roam adventures are also easy to make.) I don't know jack about coding and I found it extremely easy to use. If I only knew how to do 3d graphics I'd be making horror games inside that all the time.

Unity is great particularly for 3d games. But if you don't know how to do 3d art you're going to be doing a lot of asset shopping. That's the only reason I don't use it.

Unite will be particularly useful to those who want to do 3D Rpgs, but those like me who are bound to the 2D realm might not find it worth switching over.

nbgamemaker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New version of rpg maker that uses unity and can do 3D.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I got the feeling it will be something like Pixel Game Maker MV ported to Unite but with the more Popular Name of RPG Maker slapped onto it. IG Maker than Pixel Game Maker MV, now RPG Maker Unite? I could be wrong.
For now i bought RMMZ in the Steam Sale. But iam curious what RMUnite will turn out to be in the end.

123edc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
New version of rpg maker that uses unity and can do 3D.
not out of the box - so users will need to create their own 3D
which - in theory, since it building up on unity - should be a lot easier,
at the same time ~ however ~ the question is how easy/hard that would be and how well the maker would work with such 3D ... becouse natively they already said, to not implement it

Mcniner

Lord of Ice and Snow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My god gosh what the heck is this? My computer is trash, MV is the newest version I can use! I store my projects and assets on an external hard drive because I have no space on my computer! I already feel envious about MZ, if there is a new engine I will feel very...left out, for lack of a better word.

Also, what if this is just a big scare? I haven't seen any info on it whatsoever. It seems like more info would be released...I dunno. This just seems weird. I don't know how I feel about this.

I do hope new devs come. The more the merrier.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't seen any info on it whatsoever.
that is normal for RMs - in fact the devlogs about this on steam are more info than was given with any previous maker that I know of, MV for example had been advertised first only one month or two before it became available, so this has much more info much earlier.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Guys, will this honestly be a "good" RPG Maker- anyone know? The more I learn about this one from what they reveal, the less impressed/excited I get about it.

123edc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
hard to say, without actually seeing and using it ...

many of the introduced things seem more like a "upgrade" or "patch" that could be acchieved in our kurrent maker to ...

like for example the way, they organize tilesets ...
i mean mz already has plugins for doodads and with a change in the interface ... that would be something, i realy would love to see for MZ

other things like the character conversion look realy promising ...
but considering the question if, and if yes how well it would match with our existing generators it's hard to get excited about it

the rest of the stuff ... well ... hard to say how usefull that'll be ...
and the artwork in and on itself - as always - is a point for itself ... there are pieces i like (the townstyle) and pieces i find more meh (the characters) ...

but yeah, the hypes slowly fading away

another (and probably the most important question) will be,
how many of the current mv/mz users (and plugin developers) will transit towards unite and how much the unity community will come to flock towards these new maker , ... that ultimatly will determine it's future

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But even if it is just the same RPG Maker features, can there be benefits in making RM for Unity? I thought that you can put/port the games made via Unite/Unity on different platforms like even video game consoles. Anything else?

123edc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
can there be benefits in making RM for Unity?
aside from the entire unity library (like their effects and such) ...
flexibility, if made right it should allow you to mess around with a lot more stuff then the standalone versions ...

though, for the 0815 run of the mill standard jrpg that shouldn't realy matter ...
but you know, the father away you get from what it's intended to do xD

thesteven

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
not out of the box - so users will need to create their own 3D
which - in theory, since it building up on unity - should be a lot easier,
at the same time ~ however ~ the question is how easy/hard that would be and how well the maker would work with such 3D ... becouse natively they already said, to not implement it

I don't see what the purpose would be if 3D wasn't front and center of the engine. Isn't that the whole point of making it in Unity?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Isn't that the whole point of making it in Unity?
no, the times when Unity was exclusively 3D are long past.
there are quite a number of pure 2D games that usethe Unity framewor.

Guys, will this honestly be a "good" RPG Maker- anyone know? The more I learn about this one from what they reveal, the less impressed/excited I get about it.
I watched it from the first news, and it is basically a try to a third branch after PC-based and Console-based.
And somewhere along the line marketing messed up, forcing a very bad advertising video to be made.

At the moment I'm 50/50 on it - the ideas are very good, the bad video shows that the programmers need more time than the marketing assumed, and the postponing of the publication date gives hope that the programmers managed to get that time and limited the marketing idiot that caused that video to be made.

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
An update, for anyone interested.

GotchaGotcha Games has moved the release date of RPG Maker Unite from end of 2022 to "Sometime in Spring 2023."

A simultaneous release for the standalone (Unity Asset Store) and Steam version has been scrapped as well--Steam will get a release later to give the devs time to work on Steam-specific implementations.

It says nothing about if the English release will be the same as the Japanese one. I don't believe the Unity Asset Store is regional though, so it's probably still safe to assume release dates are the same.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hi sweethearts! :kaoluv: Check out my review of @EntangledPear's totally oldskool The Stuff Fairy Tales Are Made Of!
When you spend all day at work distracted by things you want to work on or try in your project and then by the time you get home, you are too mentally tired to concentrate so you just browse the forum instead and think of more things you won’t get to work on for a while.
Time to write some enemy behaviors, here's the stream link for those interested.

Call of duty 1&2 had an interesting cheat prevention method. Between levels the game unloads and reloads the engine dll. If you ever employ this method, make sure to include at least an md5 hash check. Otherwise I can just edit that dll and implant cheats into it.
Hi-Fi Rush is one of the coolest games I've seen in a while. I don't have a way to play it so I watched a friend and wow... I really wish I had a powerful enough computer for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradenpalm