So, uh, what's this RPG Maker Unite thing?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Aesica More like GGG has made it clear they want to handle Unite and not us. Soooooo....

Andar

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It almost wouldn't surprise me if this site wants to thumb their nose at GGG for going around them.
No, that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

This is a company-owned site following corporate law, which means they can be sued if they even post about programs from competing companies - which is why that is forbidden here.
And no company wants to pay websites and webtraffic for products they don't sell, because that is usually loss of money for nothing.

GGG is a special case due to past contracts, but even then there is the point that GGG has requested all support to be redirected to their own site as well.

EDIT: ninja'ed

Accendor

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
It almost wouldn't surprise me if this site wants to thumb their nose at GGG for going around them.

Also doesn't help that Unite is basically an embarrassment.
dont worry, at this point I wouldn't be surprised at all if this site would distance themselves from the fiasco that is unite.
Tried it for 60 minutes (after installing and starting it for nearly 2 hours) and I will never get them back. Hopefully I will at least get my money back.

stramin

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Do you know if there are new enemies in RM Unite?

I would like to have more monsters for my RMMV project.

I want to know if it's worth buying

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@stramin Between the DLC shop on this site and things you can find on itch and other places...there are so many packs of straight enemy battlers available, would it seriously be worth dropping a hundred bucks on Unite just for that?

Aesica

undefined
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Aesica More like GGG has made it clear they want to handle Unite and not us. Soooooo....

No, that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

This is a company-owned site following corporate law, which means they can be sued if they even post about programs from competing companies - which is why that is forbidden here.
And no company wants to pay websites and webtraffic for products they don't sell, because that is usually loss of money for nothing.

GGG is a special case due to past contracts, but even then there is the point that GGG has requested all support to be redirected to their own site as well.

EDIT: ninja'ed
Boo, the humor tone translates so poorly over a text-based medium. :(

123edc

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Do you know if there are new enemies in RM Unite?
while i can't exactly tell you, if there are new ones in there,

what i can tell you is, that it contains many upscaled and recollored mz enemy's ...
so, unless it's worth 120 bucks (yeah, unity asset stores's price is pre tax) to get the ones, you already have in higher resolution and two different colors ... i would think twice about it

p.s: also, if you wait for the steam release, you'd have at least the possibility, to take a 2hr look at it yourself ...

Zeriab

Huggins!
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Work has been done on undo/redo btw. You can for example check the RPGMaker.Codebase.Editor.OutlineEditor.Command namespace.
I wonder if there is partial undo support. Don't really want to wait for the editor to open to find out though.

I dunno. The more I watch this, the more it feels like the team had 5 idea men to 1 programmer or something.
To me the code combined with the sudden delays near the end just feels like waterfall development + big bang release gone wrong.
If they didn't develop the demo game along side the editor+engine development the performance issues could be missed. What if they developed the sample game very late and only then discovered the performance issues? Maybe the Unite was in an even worse state performance-wise and a bunch of optimizations has already been done.

auradev

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@stramin Between the DLC shop on this site and things you can find on itch and other places...there are so many packs of straight enemy battlers available, would it seriously be worth dropping a hundred bucks on Unite just for that?
Not him, but if you filter out the enemy battlers that are stylistically incompatible with the RTP, don't fit the developed game's settings, are maybe just not good, have unclear license/TOS, got lost in time, are completely overused in other games, etc. there is not that crazy much left over. A decent amount for sure, but I would definitely be happy about an opportunity for more choice.

And unlike Unite itself, some of their DLC is actually decently interesting. For example:
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/characters/enemy-materials-devil-pack-252653#description

Last edited:

123edc

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
well, i don't realy find the characters all that interesting ...
but i do like the premade - map [especially ground textures] approach,

though, that - as so many of their newer stuff - has the issue of being mix-mashed and coupled into packs with entirely unusable stuff and then split into several different packs ... which just makes them way overpriced, for what they'd offer for me ...

[if it'd be just a single pack with all of em inside ... yeah, count me in ... but the bundling up, to increase the price ... nah, thanks, no]

yungalgo

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
does anyone have any initial feedback on, all other things equal (e.g. game func and scope the same) web performance for MZ vs Unite? e.g. will unite run slower or faster or more or less the same?

Andar

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@yungalgo no, but based on the reviews on unite in the unity asset store I think unite will be a lot slower.
It's basically collecting a lot of one-star-reviews...

Arctica

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
Engish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There's that whole created by JS and thus runs in the browser thing that MZ/MV has going for it too.

ATT_Turan

Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not him, but if you filter out the enemy battlers that are stylistically incompatible with the RTP, don't fit the developed game's settings, are maybe just not good, have unclear license/TOS, got lost in time, are completely overused in other games, etc. there is not that crazy much left over. A decent amount for sure, but I would definitely be happy about an opportunity for more choice.
All of that is certainly true, but...would you be happy to pay $120 for that more choice? Particularly when, as posted above, many of those enemies are the same as in existing/cheaper/already-owned Makers?

Is it worth that much just to have the privilege of spending more on DLCs and being licensed to use them in your other software?

One could answer "yes" to that if they want. For me, even though that devil pack you linked to is really pretty, it's not worth $135 or whatever to me.

auradev

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
All of that is certainly true, but...would you be happy to pay $120 for that more choice? Particularly when, as posted above, many of those enemies are the same as in existing/cheaper/already-owned Makers?

Is it worth that much just to have the privilege of spending more on DLCs and being licensed to use them in your other software?

One could answer "yes" to that if they want. For me, even though that devil pack you linked to is really pretty, it's not worth $135 or whatever to me.
Generally, it depends on how much it would cost me to hire someone to create the content via commission and if the quality of the asset pack is higher or lower. In this case, the quality is quite high and if I have to hire someone, I would pay more money.

135$ or any price in that direction seems fairly cheap compared to the price of having someone else make decent quality resources. It may not be worth it to you, but to me, if "it's really pretty" as long as it's high quality & fits with the other resources, it's interesting to me.

Therefore, I would rather pay less money by buying access to the Unite resources. The pack in question alone might not be sufficient, but if there are more quality resources, then sure. I also bought the other makers mostly for just a couple of extra resources I identified would fit for reuse in MZ.

Andar

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I should point out that in the topic about the licence clarification, Touchfuzzy has not yet come back with an official answer on how that is to be read.
And since quite a number of the DLC from Degica/Komodo were never part of Enterbrain/Kadokawa/GGG, it might be that not everything can be transferred.

Even if the resources are worth that money for someone, he or she should wait until official word is given before purchasing anything.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That is kinda gross, and really not a good look for future projects on their end. (Though I suppose I've not really run into any issues with the makers before that I'd consider "game breaking," so that's a credit to the devs I guess)

It supports a previously mentioned concern: With the Unity engine seeing constant updates, Unite will very quickly face the threat of obsolescence unless users maintain a legacy version of Unity installed specifically for running Unite in.
Arguably that's not really any different from any other asset store framework built for a specific version of Unity that might have its function compromised in some way or other if the user updates.

ATT_Turan

Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Generally, it depends on how much it would cost me to hire someone to create the content via commission...Therefore, I would rather pay less money by buying access to the Unite resources.
If those are your only points of comparisons, and there truly aren't enough existing battler packs to fulfill your needs outside of commissioning them all, then that's perfectly fair logic.

I think I should point out that in the topic about the licence clarification, Touchfuzzy has not yet come back with an official answer on how that is to be read.
He actually did a few days ago. Confirmed that all RTP assets from any RPG Maker can now be used in any game-making software.

DLC depends on the TOS for the specific DLC - those released for older engines will not be revised with wording to allow other software, whereas that being released for Unite will allow it.

sabao

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Arguably that's not really any different from any other asset store framework built for a specific version of Unity that might have its function compromised in some way or other if the user updates.
Not wrong, though a good number of well-supported asset packages do make an effort to try to keep their product compatible for as long as possible. I was personally a big PlayMaker supporter up until Unity decided to integrate visual programming by default.

GGG's language regarding Unite is just very concerning in this case, because they seem intent on following their roadmap and leaving users to fend for themselves with the other problems they may be dealing with at the moment. The source code appears to at least be open enough for users to build their own fixes, at least, though to what degree, I really don't know.

BreakerZero

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have been following along with the state of Unite and do not like what I hear about it. I too was planning to get this but due to the high cost (and my strict quality standards) I have blacklisted Unite for eternity and will not support it in any way, nor will ever purchase it at this point. This has unfortunately led me to cancel porting my rumble add-on over to Unite as a consequence as I obviously cannot do so for a product that I refuse to support. I wouldn't be surprised if this entire thread was closed at this point owing that it is not supported here due to the decision to self-publish and the fact that it would be wiser at this point to distance the entire community from Unite owing to all the issues that have been going on.

In fact, barring any objections from the moderators on the worth of keeping this discussion going I am filing a report to have this subject closed for just this reason, and possibly for the removal of the entire thread in order to further distance ourselves from the matter.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Boss revives another Boss(ARPG)

anybody likes it?
My game is now available on your pip-boy...Johndoenews + fallout2.png
Maybe this is controversial, but....
I legit think that GOTY should have gone to AC6. I wasn't personally a fan, but for what it was, it was near perfect on launch, and the only updates they had to do were slight balancing issues. I never ran into a single bug, and everything was smooth.
For what it was, I think it was flawless, and I would have loved it, I just couldn't deal with the hud.
I have changed my mind. I'm trying to do to much at once with this project annd need to buckle down. Sorry all! One day I'll fix it!
If you guys wanna make a game dev happier this Christmas, please buy the DLC of my game, Phil Alone on Steam. My bills are killing me in the end of the year and I wanna develop a new board game now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NutsGuy