EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I want to make a good use of social media. (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and such)
Do you think it's better to create 2 separate accounts?
One for your day to day life, one for publishing your works only.

The reason is, I like to be half-anonymous when showcasing my works.
I don't want to gain too many attention irl.
I already tried publishing my work in my regular account and suddenly I gain much attention, I can't handle that. xD

So, do you think it's a good idea to create a separate social media account for your works?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ya know, facebook page exist for that.

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen:
Oh, I forgot about the facebook page. xD
But I wonder if you have separate accounts too?
Your real account and your "avatar" acount? (like FazaMeonk and Si Juki?)

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No, I prefer to stick in one account. I already count my FB page (in signature) as separate account. While my facebook identity is not really secret, I prefer to direct all inquiry regarding my works on my FB page. I used to promote my works there too.

It generally depends on your preference honestly. But I'd say that separate account is good to anyone who wish to subscribe your works only, not your daily life. So, separate account does it.

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I use one account for each platform, since I don't post much besides artwork or trashy memes anyway. I tend to keep my personal business off of social media, so I don't have a problem sharing with irl and online friends alike.

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't post much besides artwork or trashy memes anyway. I tend to keep my personal business off of social media.
That's what I'm thinking too. I don't post much besides artworks or stuff, even in my regular accounts.
(Instagram and Facebook to be specific)
I use my real name for my regular account. But somehow I'm much more confident being EpicFILE.
Maybe I'd change my socmed account names to EpicFILE?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is usually a lot better to keep private and business in separate accounts.
In my opinion you should never mix them up, because once mixed you'll never get them separate again.

And what happens ten years from now if you work in different business if game development doesn't work out?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I also think it is much, much better to have private and business in separate accounts. In addition to what has been said, don't forget that trolls and haters can turn up on your game page as well as fans and well wishers. Do you really want them to have access to your private life?

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really don't much out about me. Most of me shines through my comments. > _ >

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is usually a lot better to keep private and business in separate accounts.
In my opinion you should never mix them up, because once mixed you'll never get them separate again.

And what happens ten years from now if you work in different business if game development doesn't work out?

I also think it is much, much better to have private and business in separate accounts. In addition to what has been said, don't forget that trolls and haters can turn up on your game page as well as fans and well wishers. Do you really want them to have access to your private life?

Yes I'm concerned about privacy. I think I'll create separate account, then.

About the separate account itself...
Is it better to use my real name, a company name, or fictional name (in this case EpicFILE)?
I want to build online portofolio.
There's an article that said, people with good online portofolio have a higher chance to get hired by job seekers.
Now I wonder if it's also true for somebody who use fictional name?

I think it's kinda weird if I show my portofolio as a fictional character to the job seekers.
This is perhaps the one thing that confuse me most.
Is it better to build the portofolio using my own identity or using a fictional character (EpicFILE)?
Personally I chose to be EpicFILE (I love its half-anonimity).
But is it good for the long run?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you are releasing a game with a company name, then I would use that. It preserves your anonymity (lost completely if you use your real name) and looks more professional than a user name. Potential employers would be fine with a company name.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
But is it good for the long run?
If you are popular enough, I guess people won't care if it's your real name or nickname.
It's a matter of which one you prefer to get recognized

Problem with nicknames, my teacher once said if you're using nickname for a big work and it went popular, you were being credited as a nickname, you might have a hard time to claim if it's your works to your irl people because they didn't see your name there, only nickname.

I know some people who create a nickname based on their real name. I guess, that's a nice middle ground

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Problem with nicknames, my teacher once said if you're using nickname for a big work and it went popular, you were being credited as a nickname
That's quite a problem too. Do you think it might be harder to solve copyright issues if I use a nickname?

I know some people who create a nickname based on their real name. I guess, that's a nice middle ground
That's a good idea. Kinda interested to try it out :D

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's quite a problem too. Do you think it might be harder to solve copyright issues if I use a nickname?
Might be hard, cz you might be required to show more proof like the raw files of your works or so, instead of just showing your ID card. But idk, I have zero experience on this

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Last week I was resting and working mainly on the game!
The current progress of the character.
OxWQ7zO.gif

Pre-programmed character :
-Cleaning
-Magic Book(include blood mode)
-Kettle pot stirring
-Other specimens(flower/bug...etc)
I found a huge spider in my house but it has disappeared and now I'm living in fear and paranoia
It's funny, the only reason I haven't actually released a prototype or demo is not that I don't have one. Hahahahahaha I do, I've had a prototype for months. I'm really just concerned with someone taking it, and putting it up on Steam or something first, then saying it's theirs. I should probably look into setting all that up or something... Then again, I have no ETA on the full game so not sure it's worth it yet.
Pixel Grass Sprites, Questing & Fast Traveling w/ Items, Sci-fi & Distorted Music | RPG Maker News #35

Is it me or while modifying RTP style SV Actor sets to make them taller, the idle animation is the hardest to get right? I think it's because that's the one that you see most so seeing pixels that look wrong make you constantly seek to correct that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjp562