ozubon

surströmming?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've got an idea for a game with an interesting premise if I may be unhumble. You know bugs in games when you completely make it impossible for yourself to progress. Oh baby that's known as a softlock.

The idea is to call the game simply Softlock.
Then as an undertitle, and a descriptor: The only way to progress is to not.

It's a puzzle game but preferably with many ways per level to softlock the level and thereby winning. If you can reach the exit and you can't backtrack to softlock you lose the level.

For example imagine a simple beginner level. There is two rooms separated by an open door. In the other room you're not in, the exit is in. When you go into the room with the exit, the door separating the rooms close behind you, and then you're stuck in the room with the exit and you lose. So you try again. This time as the door close behind you, you quickly go back into the first room before the door completely closes. Now you're stuck in the first room and can't reach the exit, so you win.

In higher levels you have to softlock the level in at least n number of ways before you can move on. You unlock sort of a level per level achievement for the softlocks you do and when the game gets going you must find several per level.

I'm sure we're all familiar with the move away from player move route command in RPG Maker. You know when you try to make a pushable object using that move route command and it ends up getting stuck in a corner and you can't get it out? That could be a softlock for a level.

What do you think? Do you know any creative ways to softlock a level?

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As an idea it is kind of interesting, but MV may not be the best choice for this. MV is awful in managing parallel processes and event grid movement, resulting in pretty glitchy gameplay in games where precision movement matters.

ozubon

surströmming?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do enjoy to push the boundries of the engine however. I know from years of experience MV does best what it's intended for, but that has never stopped me :LZSevil:

Or if you wanna see it this way: I'm wasting my time with workarounds, tweaks and more workarounds when I could move on to other engines. And I'm having a blast!

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So the only way to win is to play the worst you ever have?
It is definitely interesting and I would love to try something like this out. It seems almost like a reverse rage game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone have advice for recruiting friends to bugtest with you? I had some buddies volunteer without me asking, and we agreed on dates and times... and they all just flaked...
A mousefolk sprite I made, I think I did good.
Discovering math. functions for damage formulas was one of the greatest things for me.
It's very useful for balancing skills to work in a variety of possible circumstances.
For example if you have a skill that is supposed to work for both mages and warriors:
Code:
Math.max(a.atk * 2 - b.def, a.mat * 2 - b.mdf)
SpaceX: First-ever successful (manned) commercial spaceflight!! In these terrible and self-sabotaging times for the world, that's a ray of excitement and hope I needed badly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abhikhurana