Solo or Team?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seriel, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Seriel

Seriel Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    (Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure)

Heyyyyy,

So, while in the process of moving on to my actual project, what should I do? A solo or a team project? I've seen lots of successful games made with both methods, but i'm not sure. What are thr Pros and Cons? The risks? The rewards?

I'm not the kinda guy who writes huge opening topics so i'll leave it here.

What do you think?

~Kirikaz

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For my game I went solo, just because I wanted to see what all went into the game firsthand. Then, once I learned what I couldn't do on my own, I hired people to fill in the void.

Seriel likes this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There is a thread only a couple of months old, on teamwork which you might find interesting.  It's not completely the same question as yours, but in the discussion various points came up which might help.

You can find it here http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/43195-teamwork-how-to-do-it-exactly

@bgillisp

I personally don't consider hiring someone to do a specific task is the same as forming a team.  In a team there are different relationships and responsibilities than with a straightforward commission which, once it's finished, ends that particular person's involvement - unless another commission is made.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  4. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Team: Pro

• People can focus on their specialty and put their best foot foward
    • collaborative brainstorming
    • No waffling on the aspects we are bad at or dislike doing
    • Others could keep you interested and in the zone
    Team: Con

• Disagreements on pretty much anything you can think of
    • Relying on others to come through with their portion of the work. There's always that one guy.
    • If a couple people ditch the project, what happens to it?

Solo: Pro

• You do your idea. This is bonafied you.
    • Work at your own pace, you won't be holding anyone up.
    Solo: Cons

• A lot more work
    • Ideas getting too big for your individual skill
    • Everything is self motivated, this can be a non-issue or a big issue depending on your work habits

Ruby, Shaz, Bonkers and 5 others like this.
  5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ksjp17: I wasn't sure how to count commissions, so hence the note on that. Some would say it is an indirect team, but the commissioned person only does that one task and nothing more.

BTW, I should add onto mine. One problem with going solo is how long it takes to make a game. I entered into this planning on spending 3 years to finish the game (of which 1 year is up now, so 2 to go). So solo = takes much longer to finish, but no worries of team disagreements, team = produced quicker (usually).

6. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I choose friends.

Seriously, though, I actually get lonely and bored when I have no one to share my ideas with. And I'm not very confident in anything, so having a team helps a lot.

I'm lucky that my only group of friends down here are part of the team.

Now, when my BF (the boss) takes forever to do anything, I go solo. >>

Seriel likes this.
  7. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Never try and do a commercial game solo, that's shooting yourself in the foot. For a freebie, it's okay to do everything yourself but it means a lot more work for you and potentially longer work time.

Seriel likes this.
  8. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I respectfully disagree. It *is* more work but definitely doable. A lot of commercial games (and even successful ones) have been made by a solo dev.

Marsigne and The Stranger like this.
  9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think cabfe is correct.

Of course a solo dev will no doubt often commission some things, but as I said above, commissioning some assets is not what being in a team is.  

Marsigne, mlogan, Indinera and 2 others like this.
  10. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Same here. It's all about which way works better for you. I personally prefer to work solo, so I can't imagine having to make a commercial project in a team. It just won't work for me, since I am not used to that. But for people who are used to working in a team, this will be different.

The Stranger likes this.
  11. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Well my foot must hurt, cuz I've made 80% of my work solo...

Marsigne, mlogan and The Stranger like this.
  12. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On RPG Maker VX Ace? They made the whole soundtrack, the graphics, code, every script and EVERYTHING in it alone?

13. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are so many community available resources that such a feat is not impossible, unless you consider that teamwork. Also, there are some people that are that talented or have the funds to commission talent. Some may consider commissioning teamwork but I've never considered myself a "co-developer" just because I've been hired to do some work on a game. Most commission transactions are pretty removed from the decision making of the game. But I suppose it depends on who you ask.

Marsigne and The Stranger like this.
  14. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    *Hey! Guess what! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)*

It really depends on your planned project.

First of All
    If you're not sure of your project, still thinking about some things etc. then SINGLEPLAYER
    If you have everything planned ~ tasks ready and stuff then you can go MULTIPLAYER

To Multiplayer or Not To Multiplayer
    > Working on a bigger *even commercial* project? - MULTIPLAYER! (but it still depends)
    Pros of Multiplayer
    - work goes faster and easier
    - it's very likely, that you're not talented in everything - so some stuff may be problematic - different people with different talents is great
     '-> higher game quality, because when people are specializing in something, then work will look better, than amateur-done stuff.
     '-> of course, there are exceptions
    - working in team keeps you motivated - there's less change of casting "Abandon Ship", when there are people working with you on it - which means, that they liked your idea and stuff and you know, that it's not (that) bad.
    - working in team is funnier - there's problem? laugh at it together and try to fix that
    - easier to get feedback - somebody finished their task - made a sprite? - the rest of the team will quickly leave useful feedback and suggestions
    - Sharing ideas and discussing them together

Cons of Multiplayer
    - there is a chance, that somebody will leave your team - this can be problematic sometimes (motivation-lowering / not finished task- progress stuck etc.)
     '-> increased chance of leaving when working on a free project (no payment)
    - paying for the work if @paid_job
    - if you don't know people, that you're working with - there may be problems, problems and more problems ~ you never know
     '-> if you'll be lucky enough to have a good team, then you'll be fine (best if they'd be your friends)
    - haste - can't do something slowly, when anybody else are working quickly - they'll say "Boooooooooo" (a chance of slowing team down)
    - if you don't have planned stuff / not a good leader ... bad times.... baaaaad times...
    - one additional task when working on game - organization

Or Go with Singleplayer?
    > Working on a smaller/bigger game? (Commercial or not) without any stress? - SINGLEPLAYER (but it still depends)
    Pros of Singleplayer
    - You can do whatever you want
    - You can work whenever you want
    - You can work quickly/slowly - as you want
    - You don't have to rely on anybody
    - No paying for a work - you're your own boss
    - +10 to awesomeness, because you made a game alone
    - no stress - work in your rhythm

Cons of Singleplayer
    - You can lose motivation over time
     '-> increased chance of successful "Abandon Ship" each day (dependable)
    - Everything takes ages to make
     '-> lower quality of game if @haste
    - You can easily get stuck with something

Useless Comment
    Well... that's what I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
  15. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    But hiring people for music or art commissions is not the same as working in a team with them. Those people are just freelancers. And even if you don't hire anyone, there is plenty of royalty free stuff out there that people can use. I am sure if I used music from the store resource packs, it doesn't mean that I worked in a team with the musician.

Marsigne, cabfe, The Stranger and 2 others like this.
  16. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah commissioning people is still going solo unless said people have a big say in your game's overall direction, this goes for free help and testers too.  As someone who is: part of a fully fledged game development team, is going solo (with commissions etc to help) with his own game, has been commissioned for other peoples work and has commissioned people for his own projects; I can safely say that there is a massive difference between commissioning people and working in a team.  

One thing to bear in mind is that just because you're going solo doesn't mean you won't still get help, you can still get ideas and criticism from friends, family and associates and be considered a solo act.  A lot of people go solo in their life's endeavours but remember that behind every accomplished person, there is a dedicated support network and when you think about it that way, most people's lives are the result of some sort of team effort.

In answer to op's question: my personal recommendation before moving onto a big project would be to do some small projects on your own solo, try to finish at least one even if it's terrible (my first game was a terrible viking platformer made in game maker which was barely over 10 minutes long but was nonetheless 'finished').  Once that's done you'll know whether you want to go solo, team or even if you just don't think game development is for you (which is okay by the way, it's not for everyone).   

Marsigne likes this.
  17. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think teams only work if it's a dictatorship. :p

Ok, that's an exaggeration (somewhat...). What I mean is that for a team to work somebody must be able to call the shots. I believe game making is a lot like making movies, with a director who listens to the script writer, the big stars, the producers, some focus groups, etc. BUT at the end of the day gets to make the final decision in everything. I'm lucky to have team mates who allow me to decide the creative side of things while they handle their own specialties. And it has worked great!

I've been part of projects that are more democratic, where people more or less vote (informally) and agree on things. In my experience, this sometimes kills the creativity, because compromises are by nature not exciting. I think things that inspire passion will always have lovers and haters. I remember one time when someone came up with a story idea, but another member hated it with a passion, and the first member kinda backed down AND became disinterested in the project thereafter. It was a shame really. Also, a democratic team can sometimes waffle in indecision. As time goes on, interest in the project falters, and the project could eventually fail.

Aoi Ninami and Marsigne like this.
  18. tlst9999

tlst9999 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Solo job while hiring commissions for what you're not good at is the best. It's slower, but you get to know everything that's going on with development.

19. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sorry to bring this up days later but Rikifive, please do not use red or blue in your posts, as those are reserved for moderator voice.

Seriel likes this.
  20. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Aw balls, I thought nobody will notice. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

JK, fixed my post and I'm sorry.