quackgyver

I make retro games for astrojone.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I currently have a common event that changes the vehicle image of the boat whenever the player boards/gets off, in order to simulate the effect of the player sitting in the boat.

However, the problem with this approach is that the conditional check for whether or not the player has boarded the vehicle is true before and after getting on/off the vehicle rather than when the player is actually inside the vehicle, meaning that the vehicle image change will take place before and after getting on/off.

I've tried to fix this by delaying the image change using the wait event, but this is further complicated depending on how many allies that are in the caterpillar party, and whether or not the player is running while boarding the vehicle.

Since this approach doesn't seem to work, does anyone know of a good approach for changing the vehicle image in a way that triggers only when the player is inside the vehicle?

EDIT:

I don't mind an event-based or plugin-based solution. As long as it works.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you tried fading out screen when the player first interacts with the vehicle? Change the graphic before fading the screen back in so the player doesn't notice anything, you can do this for both getting on and off the boat.

quackgyver

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you tried fading out screen when the player first interacts with the vehicle? Change the graphic before fading the screen back in so the player doesn't notice anything, you can do this for both getting on and off the boat.
Yes, but that's unfortunately not the desired effect.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could try this:

Eventcommand "Gather Followers"
Than Board Vehicle
Than around 60 Frames Wait
Than the Graphic Change

quackgyver

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could try this:

Eventcommand "Gather Followers"
Than Board Vehicle
Than around 60 Frames Wait
Than the Graphic Change
Yes I've done different variants of this. That's what I meant by:

I've tried to fix this by delaying the image change using the wait event, but this is further complicated depending on how many allies that are in the caterpillar party, and whether or not the player is running while boarding the vehicle.
The end-result of doing this is jarring and will at best only be smooth for a very specific combination of number of followers and player walk speed.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because of your follower Problem i included the following to solve it:

Gather Followers, that is an Eventcommand, it is supposed to fix your problem with the timing.
Edit: Walkspeed could also be changed before entering and after leaving a vehicle if that causes also timing problems.

quackgyver

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because of your follower Problem i included the following to solve it:

Gather Followers, that is an Eventcommand, it is supposed to fix your problem with the timing.
Edit: Walkspeed could also be changed before entering and after leaving a vehicle if that causes also timing problems.
That's not a solution, because you still need to wait for every single follower to board the ship before the graphic can be changed.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Strange, it should not be the case that you have to wait for every single follower to enter the vehicle,
because only Member1 will enter the Vehicle. The other gather previously on Member1, on the Maptile next to the Vehicle.

Do you try to enter a standard vehicle directly or are you entering a event decoy vehicle first before
thatone than makes you enter the real vehicle (or replaces the decoy with the real one without the player noticing)?

quackgyver

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Strange, it should not be the case that you have to wait for every single follower to enter the vehicle,
because only Member1 will enter the Vehicle. The other gather previously on Member1, on the Maptile next to the Vehicle.

Do you try to enter a standard vehicle directly or are you entering a event decoy vehicle first before
thatone than makes you enter the real vehicle (or replaces the decoy with the real one without the player noticing)?
No, I'm just entering a standard vehicle the standard way. The conditional event won't recognize the vehicle as boarded until every last member is on it. That's just how RPG Maker MV works, and that's also why I need a different solution for this.

Even if your suggested solution would work, you can board it both walking and running as I've explained, so you wouldn't be able to time it accurately anyway.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now iam confused:
However, the problem with this approach is that the conditional check for whether or not the player has boarded the vehicle is true before and after getting on/off the vehicle rather than when the player is actually inside the vehicle,
The conditional event won't recognize the vehicle as boarded until every last member is on it.
Sorry iam not that good in english, for me this Quotes reads like if you want A not B, but in the second Quote you say A is happening you want B.
How would you even execute the eventcode when you enter the vehicle the standard way? with parallel event? I believe you need to give more information in this special case. Maybe also show a Picture of your Eventcode. And maybe an explanation about when where how it gets triggert through the player.

quackgyver

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now iam confused:

Sorry iam not that good in english, for me this Quotes reads like if you want A not B, but in the second Quote you say A is happening you want B.
How would you even execute the eventcode when you enter the vehicle the standard way? with parallel event? I believe you need to give more information in this special case. Maybe also show a Picture of your Eventcode. And maybe an explanation about when where how it gets triggert through the player.
The case is simply that I need the vehicle's graphic to change depending on whether or not the player is currently inside it. Your suggested solution won't work, because RPG Maker MV has no way of knowing the exact point when the player is inside the vehicle. Using wait to delay the graphic switch doesn't work, because RPG Maker has no way of knowing whether you're running or walking when boarding the vehicle, or how many party members that it needs to wait for to board before switching the graphic.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have to apologize, instead of theorizing in my head i should have started MV up earlier.
I forgot that one enters and leaves the vehicle ontop of it.

What you want seems not be doable if you enter the vehicle the standard Way, we would need a Event that looks like the airship for entering and leaving it.
That could look like this:

airshiptestbuild1.PNGairshiptestbuild2.PNGairshiptestbuild3.PNG
Maybe this helps to get started and being able to fine tune it to your needs.
I assumed your airship exists only on 1 Map. If it is present on different Maps,
than we would need to adjust the Eventcode.
Edit:
Ah i forgot to change the Vehicle image back on page2 to graphic without player inside it, maybe thats not needed, but i wanted to mention this slipped in mistake.
Edit2: Sorry on page 2 you can also delete the set movement route for player wait 30 frames.
forgot to delete it.

Last edited:

quackgyver

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have to apologize, instead of theorizing in my head i should have started MV up earlier.
I forgot that one enters and leaves the vehicle ontop of it.

What you want seems not be doable if you enter the vehicle the standard Way, we would need a Event that looks like the airship for entering and leaving it.
That could look like this:
Maybe this helps to get started and being able to fine tune it to your needs.
I assumed your airship exists only on 1 Map. If it is present on different Maps,
than we would need to adjust the Eventcode.
Edit:
Ah i forgot to change the Vehicle image back on page2 to graphic without player inside it, maybe thats not needed, but i wanted to mention this slipped in mistake.
Edit2: Sorry on page 2 you can also delete the set movement route for player wait 30 frames.
forgot to delete it.
I appreciate the attempt to help but this topic is about boats, not airships.

Beyond that, filling every map up with events for every tile where the player might want to board a ship, and every tile where the player might want to get off it is not an elegant solution or an option, because it's a lot of overhead and would prevent the ability to place any other events near water.

Whether events or plugins are used, the solution needs to not involve filling up maps with events for handling both getting on- and off vehicles.

EDIT:

Having events in the water where the player might want to board is an option I'd say, but having to place events along the other side of the shorelines is not.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Beyond that, filling every map up with events for every tile where the player might want to board a ship, and every tile where the player might want to get off it is not an elegant solution or an option, because it's a lot of overhead and would prevent the ability to place any other events near water.
hmm... that is not the case with the Solution i showed. But i will retest with a Boat, sorry my mistake.

Some Questions and thoughts (Sorry if this is starting to get anoying for you, not my intention)
How are you calling your Airship or in your Case Boat??? Isnt it just 1 Boat somewhere on the Coast?
In the Solution i showed, only 1 Event(actually 2 Events) is needed for the whole Worldmap, even if its 250x250 Tiles big.
No need for Events along the coastline.

Edit:
Maybe it would be best you explain how and where your player can enter the boat.
Because i thought he can only enter a boat where the player last left his boat or where he find it the first time. Isnt that the case?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have I missed something here? Have you actually shown a screenshot of your common event so people can see HOW you're determining when the player gets on or off a vehicle? If not, can you please show that, as it might be something really obvious that nobody is thinking of because they're assuming you're doing it a certain way and you're not.

Reactions: Bex

quackgyver

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hmm... that is not the case with the Solution i showed. But i will retest with a Boat, sorry my mistake.

Some Questions and thoughts (Sorry if this is starting to get anoying for you, not my intention)
How are you calling your Airship or in your Case Boat??? Isnt it just 1 Boat somewhere on the Coast?
In the Solution i showed, only 1 Event(actually 2 Events) is needed for the whole Worldmap, even if its 250x250 Tiles big.
No need for Events along the coastline.

Edit:
Maybe it would be best you explain how and where your player can enter the boat.
Because i thought he can only enter a boat where the player last left his boat or where he find it the first time. Isnt that the case?
Have I missed something here? Have you actually shown a screenshot of your common event so people can see HOW you're determining when the player gets on or off a vehicle? If not, can you please show that, as it might be something really obvious that nobody is thinking of because they're assuming you're doing it a certain way and you're not.
The purpose of this topic isn't to get advice on how to fix my events. I'm asking for a ground-up solution to the problem described in the topic - i.e. how to achieve the desired effect. So far the solutions that have been posted either don't work as suggested, or they do but require copious amounts of events.

So again, I'm only asking for help with how to achieve the desired effect, just to clarify the purpose of this thread.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My fault excuse me, i suppose language mistake on my End.
This thread also made me a little confused because everytime i guessed the wrong things, should have just kept asking questions until enough info is there, also i seem to not fully understanding your explanations of what you exactly in detail want. Sorry. Lucky you, iam not the only one here in the Forums. Maybe a Scripter or someone else drops by. Good luck.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't understand. The approach you've outlined in your first post is fine. If it's not working, it's something about the way you're doing it.

You could get dozens of suggestions of different ways to do it, try them and if they don't work move on to something else, which could have you going around in circles achieving nothing. Or you could pick an approach (such as your original one), try it, and if it doesn't work, show people what you've done and get help to fix it.

I don't see a difference between "advice on how to fix my events" and "a ground-up solution to the problem described" - a solution to the problem described IS advice on how to fix your events.

quackgyver

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't understand. The approach you've outlined in your first post is fine. If it's not working, it's something about the way you're doing it.

You could get dozens of suggestions of different ways to do it, try them and if they don't work move on to something else, which could have you going around in circles achieving nothing. Or you could pick an approach (such as your original one), try it, and if it doesn't work, show people what you've done and get help to fix it.

I don't see a difference between "advice on how to fix my events" and "a ground-up solution to the problem described" - a solution to the problem described IS advice on how to fix your events.
The solutions that have been mentioned in this thread have been different variants of:
  1. Fade in/out to hide the transition.
  2. Gather the followers before boarding the ship, then use "Get on/off Vehicle", then use the "Vehicle Boat is driven"-condition to determine when to change the graphic.
  3. Do solution 2, but with a "wait"-command in order to delay the graphic change.
  4. Use an event to summon an Airship to your current position, then use "Get on/off Vehicle".
Suggestion 1 doesn't work because it's not the desired effect.

Suggestion 2 doesn't work because the "Vehicle Boat is driven"-condition triggers before and after the boarding has been initiated, rather than when the player is actually inside the vehicle.

Suggestion 3 doesn't work because the player can board while both walking and running, meaning that I can't account for the appropriate delay time. The number of followers in the party is also going to affect the boarding time, which further complicates things.

Suggestion 4 isn't applicable because this topic regards the boat vehicle and not the airship vehicle.

The one possible solution that would actually work would be for me to fill up both sides of every shoreline with events for both getting on and off, but that's going to be problematic given that it's going to take up needed event space.

Also, I've attached an image of one of the non-working solutions, as requested.

Attachments

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I gave it another shot from another angle.
1. You can use standard Vehicle Boat.
2. One Event with Trigger: Parallel
3. Eventcode:
boat_simple_start_test.PNG
4. As far as i could see, the Timing is perfect for a Party of 4 (Hero + 3 Followers).
5. We could adjust the Code with conditions of how many Followers there are and accordingly change the needed Wait Time. Atleast if we dont run in any other Problems around the next corner.

Sorry iam no pro, helping others can sometimes also be a learning expirience in which one takes the wrong directions at first. Its late and i wasnt at home, so i cant implement the Conditions now, just wanted to show the progress.

Edit: I could not realy reproduce a difference when entering a vehicle boat while sprinting or walking.
EDIT2: Detailed Feedback on what is working and what is not working like you want it with this code, could help me fix it. Lets just Test it with Party of 4, if that works fine, than i can adjust for less party members.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

trying to wrap up the boat/ship/castaway tilesets with a great galleon - no promises
Mail from campus: we will have the lessons this semester not remote, if possible. All my my profs: Remote it is.
https://gyazo.com/5a19cfce090a2585b3c0fcb7c699b92c Just finished a stealth system, its not metal gear solid level though, maybe elder scrolls level, it just works.
I ain't dead btw, just trying to keep up with university :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkDrakOnyX