Learning Game Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello.

I had previously made a thread where I needed help with a couple of things ( [URL=https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/quest-help.105028/]This thread specifically ). This thread is regarding the kill counter.[/URL]

Previously the matter had been solved and things were working perfectly fine, but as I've recently done a test run to see if everything's working correctly up to the point I've got the game to, I've been collecting things to fix, and this issue I thought was solved is among them.

Basically, there are three counters(/variables) at play here: Monster A kill counter, Monster B kill counter, and a third that counts whether counters A and B have met their end requirement ( of 5 kills at least per ).
The way this works in the battle events is as I was instructed to do; so 1 of Monster A is encountered > Battle event makes A immortal > player party brings A's HP down to 0% > Battle event removes immortality and adds +1 to Monster A kill counter.
The problem is that no kill is counted. However when an encounter with 2 of Monster A's ( this is the same with B's, mind you ) comes and the player party takes down both, only one of them is counted.

The battle events for both 1 and 2 of Monster A's and B's are perfectly identical ( with the exception of when there are 2 of either enemy to have both Monster A/B1 and A/B2 a page for themselves )
I will provide screenshots for the battle events.

The screenshots respectively are:
1. Battle event page 1 of a single Monster A encounter
2. Battle event page 2 of a single Monster A encounter
3. Battle event page 1 of two Monster A encounter

The switch seen inside the Conditional Branch ([0040: Spider Kills] == ON) is indeed on. It turns on the moment the player enters the map where this quest is done in.

Attachments

• Spider event 1.1.png
    Spider event 1.1.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Spider event 1.2.png
    Spider event 1.2.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Spider event 2.1.png
    Spider event 2.1.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 20

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What changes switch 40?

If it is being turned on when it shouldn't be, then my guess is that you're using it for two different things. A typical situation is where you've added a script and it uses that switch by default, and you haven't changed it to use a different switch, and haven't 'reserved' that switch by giving it a name, resulting in you using it for something else.

You could try to use my Cross Reference Tool to see what other events are using switch 40, but it won't tell you if there are scripts that use it.

I've also made a fairly simple kill counter plugin for MV, and it probably wouldn't take too much work to convert it back to Ace (in fact I probably have an Ace version in my old project somewhere):
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/kill-counter.56923/

That means you wouldn't have to do any of that stuff in battle - you'd just set up via notes what variables to increment, use a script call to tell it when to start counting, and do a check after each battle (or at the time you want to see that the right number of enemies have been killed).

Khaz

Learning Game Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
An event at the beginning of the map changes it. So when you enter the map, an Autorun event plays with dialogue and the like and at the end of it before it self-switches itself onto a second (blank) page, it activates switches 40 and 41 ( the kill counters for both monsters respectively ).

No script that I have should be using those switches, as the kill counters had worked for me before. The only new script I'd added since working on that part of the game was a simple one that heals the party to max upon level up. In fact, I don't think I have a single event that uses switches - only variables, but even they are set at the farther end ( in the 300th's ) rather than anywhere near the variables used for the counters in these events.

I'm afraid I lack MV, but if you have an Ace version of that MV plugin, it sounds like it could definitely - hopefully - solve this with but a snap of a finger.
I could look into your Cross Reference Tool bit later once I can hop back into the game.

Just to clarify: if an Ace version of that plugin does exist with you, it would work for random encounters as well and wouldn't need "physical" player touch enemy events going about on the map?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, it works with all battles, regardless of how they're set up.

I wonder if there might be something dodgy with your troop events. Could that troop page be running multiple times per battle? If you pop a Show Text command in there (put it after the +1 to the variable, and show what's in the variable), it'll be very clear if it's being added to more times than it should when in battle.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
if you set the condition to "don't run", it'll never validate.
set it to Turn 0, and set the span to Turn instead of Battle.

Khaz

Learning Game Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes, it works with all battles, regardless of how they're set up.

I wonder if there might be something dodgy with your troop events. Could that troop page be running multiple times per battle? If you pop a Show Text command in there (put it after the +1 to the variable, and show what's in the variable), it'll be very clear if it's being added to more times than it should when in battle.
Wonderful. And I shall do that once I'm on my computer.

if you set the condition to "don't run", it'll never validate.
set it to Turn 0, and set the span to Turn instead of Battle.
The first page is set to "Don't run" and the second is on the condition that the enemy hp is at 0%. I had tried to set the second page from Battle to Turn, but alas that didn't do the trick either.

Thank you both for your responses already in advance. This problem has been quite a pain.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't run
RUN comes from the term "to run a program", it has absolutely nothing to do with escaping (which is a false information that was distributed by a few newbies -that had absolutely no idea what they're writing about- some years back).

If a troop event has the condition "don't run", then NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.
Nothing can work with that condition and you need to change it to another condition, one that is when you want that event to run.

And the span determines how often you want the troop event to run - once per battle, once per turn, once per action (but only when the condition is met)

Khaz

Learning Game Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[EDIT] My god, it actually works again! Thank you ever so kindly to each of you that helped and responded. I'm so glad to have this problem fixed.
Oh, and @Shaz if you do indeed happen to have that Ace version of the kill counter, I would love to use it. It'd make future kill counter things simpler. If there isn't one, then that's alright. I appreciate the help anyway.

RUN comes from the term "to run a program", it has absolutely nothing to do with escaping (which is a false information that was distributed by a few newbies -that had absolutely no idea what they're writing about- some years back).

If a troop event has the condition "don't run", then NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.
Nothing can work with that condition and you need to change it to another condition, one that is when you want that event to run.

And the span determines how often you want the troop event to run - once per battle, once per turn, once per action (but only when the condition is met)
Huh.. It's pretty misleading, I think. That would then explain plenty. In that case I'll need to change that once I get back on it.
That said, I wonder how it worked before despite being as it is. But if changing that is all that it'll take to make it work, then.. well at this point as long as something makes it work, I'll be happy. Thank you plenty for clearing that misconception, though

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!
Disk Check Plugin - Running on Linux:
RMMV-Game-Mint.png
workin on some graphics for my game. was originally planning on doing a cartoony style for the town but I might stick with this instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
will-o-wistful