*solved* Chars of different sizes in char-sprites

violgamba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am making character sprites based on an existing IP. In the IP the character sizes are quite diverse and I'm unsure how to best represent that within 48x48 character sprites. At the moment I'm leaning towards fudging scale in deference to maximal visibility, but I wonder if I should adhere to the scale more. Below is a sample to give you an idea of what I'm talking about (the characters are from "Wind Waker", btw). FYI, characters with this level of disparity shouldn't often be seen in close proximity in my project.

Now that I'm looking at it, I'm also not matching head/body size ratios of the original IP. In fact, the torso on the left seems near to matching the scale of the right character. I'm just worried about losing expressiveness if I shrink the left character's head. Also, most characters are nearer to the left character's size, or smaller (for children).

Thoughts? Anyone know of existing projects where this kind of issue is tackled?

My sprites:
spriteShow.png
Original IP (with characters as close to proper scale as I could eyeball):
charShow.png

ViktorRocha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT(BZ)/ENG/FRN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Violgamba.
I had a similar problem... But i could solve it by using the RTP characterset to model the size of other sprites. Like, the left side character you have i would put him aside of a RTP character and match sizes of them (You can use the bigger characters sprite, about 48x96). The other character you can simply make bigger then the first to match the original.
The other option you have is to pick a pickture of the original images you want to use as models on Photoshop or other image editor (Paint.net is good and free). Simpli makes the image reduce in % until the smalest character fits the size you want, and the other one will stay in the same proportion compared to it. Then you can make your pixel character in another layer based on those sizes.

Hope it can help you.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Character size can be anything, the only problem with using an unusual size would be collision. So you don't need to fit them into 48x48 or 48x96 spaces.

There's two ways I've seen this handled. One is to make the sprites look scaled correctly. The loss of detail for the smaller characters is usually overcome by more expressive animation. The other is to just ignore it and make everyone look similar as sprites, but use the character art like in busts shown in conversations to show how different they look in reality. Since the sprites aren't meant to be a perfect representation anyway it is ignorable by the audience.

violgamba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, yeah! Surprisingly flexible! I tested a 16x16 and a 100x100 sprite and they were both handled just fine.
I understand why 48x96 is useful, though, as overlapping starts to get odd when standing side-by-side against an overly-wide sprite.

Thank you both for your replies!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think Kipling said it best.

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
⁠And never breathe a word about your loss,
(...)
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
⁠And—which is more—you'll be a Man, my son!

Do you feel like your modern cities are too clean? I made some dumpsters and trash variations. Visit my MZ resource thread (link in signature).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panguozeng