[SOLVED] Common Events: Battle Cut-In Help

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Esjitu, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esjitu

Esjitu Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm trying to make battle cut-ins that show a picture of the character moving across the screen when certain skills are used.

Now, I managed to get the animation set up the way I want it already. I set up an event to activate it for testing purposes and it's working perfectly.

https://i.gyazo.com/e5055e8f983a2ad5d7c2d45015b4d629.mp4

What I've done is set up two events:

1) The first event that's being activated shows the image of the character with Show Picture, and then Move Picture to get him to move across the screen. This event also flips a switch called 'Battle Cut-In', and flips it back off after Move Picture is done playing the animation.

2) The second event is Parallel Process set to run when the above Battle Cut-In switch is ON. If it's on, it runs a loop that just has Show Picture set to show the 5 frames of animated speedlines with a small wait between each. This loop will run for as long as the Battle Cut-In Switch is on...and since that flips back off when the first event's animation finishes, it gives the illusion that both pictures are part of the same animation.

So far, so good, I thought. I figured that copying these events to common events would allow them to behave the same way, but be able to call the animation up in battle when [x] skill is used. So I set the two events up as common events, with the first event's trigger set to 'none' and the second one set to parallel process when the Battle Cut-In switch is on. Then I set the first switch to be called when using a skill, and figured I'd end up with the same result.

It DOES play the first event's animation...but not the second one. Like it doesn't recognize that the switch is being flipped on when the event triggers in battle, or something. I tried a few other things to get them to work, like having the first event call the second directly, but that just caused it to trigger the second event's loop infinitely because it didn't run the rest of the event where the switch would shut off and kill the loop. I also tried having the skill trigger BOTH common events but this had similarly failed results.

Is it not possible to use this trick with common events? Or is there something I have to do differently to get it working in battle? Worth noting I'm using Tsukihime's Pre-Skill Effects script to get the animation to play before the attack, but I have the same problems even without the script in use so it's not that. Also using Yanfly's battle engine and the Press-Turn system, if that matters at all.

Is there no way that I can get both animations to trigger at the same time? I know I could just create the whole animation on one layer in Photoshop instead of using Move Picture, but then I'd have 20+ frames in my Pictures folder instead of just 6 (5 frames for the speedline animation, and one still image for the character), so I'd really rather avoid this if possible.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Common events set to parallel process with a switch as a trigger do not run during battles - only on the map - unless you have a script that makes them.

3. Esjitu

Esjitu Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I thought it might be something like that. Can you recommend any scripts that might be able to do it?

Edit: Tsukihime's Global Common Events seems to work like a charm! The event now triggers the second event, runs the animation, then turns itself back off.

I've marked the thread as solved. Maybe this topic can help anyone else trying to create battle cut-ins.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.