Panda

Level 15 Fluffy Bear
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've been working on a title sequence which is timed to the background music.

The problem is that the text is skippable with enter, ruining the background synchronization with the sequence and the music.

Is there are way to disable enter-skipping?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sindaine

Tired Gamerz Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hey Gentlepanda,

The only way I know how to do this is putting in the "wait" symbols in the text area it's self. IE: \| waits for a second, \. waits for .25 of a second etc. I tested it with 3 \|\|\| and the text box waited 3 seconds before I could hit enter. It may not be easy to time it with music this way, but it's an option.

There also may be a way to script something to do this, but I'm not that experienced with Ruby Coding yet.

Hope it helps,

Sindaine

Panda

Level 15 Fluffy Bear
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey Gentlepanda,

The only way I know how to do this is putting in the "wait" symbols in the text area it's self. IE: \| waits for a second, \. waits for .25 of a second etc. I tested it with 3 \|\|\| and the text box waited 3 seconds before I could hit enter. It may not be easy to time it with music this way, but it's an option.

There also may be a way to script something to do this, but I'm not that experienced with Ruby Coding yet.

Hope it helps,

Sindaine
Tried the wait commands, but the text is still skippable. When I press enter, it will just skip all the waiting and finish the text. ;_;

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not sure how to do it without scripts. You'd think it'd be possible.

Well, add this to your script list and change the number in $game_switches[1] to be the switch ID you want to use. Turn that switch ON to make messages unskippable.

Code:
class Window_Message < Window_Base  alias galv_gpanda_update_show_fast update_show_fast  def update_show_fast    return if $game_switches[1]    galv_gpanda_update_show_fast  endend

Panda

Level 15 Fluffy Bear
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not sure how to do it without scripts. You'd think it'd be possible.

Well, add this to your script list and change the number in $game_switches[1] to be the switch ID you want to use. Turn that switch ON to make messages unskippable.
Works great! Thank you!  :thumbsup-left: :cutesmile: :thumbsup-right:  

Liak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Can't you use wait commands and then \^ (which closes the message box)? I believe(!) this makes it impossible to skip the text with Enter. Try it. :)

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
\^ makes the message close automatically once this code is reached.

\! will stop displaying text at the point you put this code in and wait for the player to press a button before continuing to display the text.

\. and \| will wait when the message gets to these codes

I don't see anything that makes the text unskippable. The fast forward feature will still work and skip the displaying of text letter by letter up until these symbols.

Besus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not sure if something is done different, but I just do the following:

MESSAGE TEXT

\^ \| \| \| \| \| \| \|

This will keep the message open for the desired amount of time (designtaed by the \|) and then the message closes. The player cannot skip it or fast-forward through it.

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The words "MESSAGE TEXT" in your example will display one letter at a time unless you press a button and then it will skip that typing of letters out... so the text can still be skipped, you're just then waiting before allowing the player to close the window.

Besus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A-ha, then it must the fact it's on an autorun event for my introduction cutscene (locking the player from interacting with it) that keeps it from being fast forwarded.

Well if you don't want to mess with scripts and keep it from being passed, you could always just do that.  :D

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nope, Autorun doesn't stop button pressing in message boxes either :p

I'm really not sure how you're doing it...

Cartridge

It's all about the guns, man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
It is impossible by default, without a script, all messages are skipable.

Besus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
To confirm what Galv said, yes, I can still skip it when I put it in a new project.

I copied over the only 2 scripts that would affect the message system but I can still skip it. So I'm not sure how I'm doing it in my current one either...

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, I'd use the XS Credits script, which can be found in the forums. It allows you to create text that is unskippable, that can wait for a while, fade in and out...and add a background! It's completely editable to go with music and a background.

Cartridge

It's all about the guns, man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Or just use a custom message system.

Panda

Level 15 Fluffy Bear
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Figured I should put the [solved] tag in, since this has been solved since Post 5. :)

Fomar0153

Arkz
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
[solved]

Actually we use [ closed ]

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

New PC is built. Now I walk that fine line between wanting it NOW, and being responsible and waiting for the stress test to be finished. By this time tomorrow it'll be up and running. And my desk will have had a much-needed clean.
Remember to pet your astral kitty!

Unifying the code bases across MV and MZ for Haxe!
Anyone who uses Yanfly's Gab Window plugin: are there any features it lacks that you wish it had?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daninano