JoePie

of Art/Game
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
Hey fellow,

I'm looking for a way to make Gameus's quest window transparent, then bind an image behind it. Same applied to Yep_Party System's party window.

Been looking in the JS but found nowhere to put in:

this._Window_Quest.opacity = 0;

For example Item Menu below. I basically make the window transparent and bind an image behind it with Alt Menu Screen3,

I didn't touched or moved anything with the layout and etc.

Attached a sample of how AltMenuScreen.js make it possible. Hope it help with anyone's trouble shooting.

Gladly Appreciate.

Cheers,

Joe

2016-03-23 01_25_13-HotDog.png

View attachment 34096

Last edited by a moderator:

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could the following lines to the end of Scene_Quest.prototype.createQuestWindow

this.questFilter.opacity = 0;
        this.questWindow.opacity = 0;
        this.questInfo.opacity = 0;

I actually suggest you alias these functions instead of directly putting in code, because the plugin writers might update their code, and then you'd have to readd your adjustments. I usually try to do that for that reason, and also for compatibility, if I can.

You can alias functions like this:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DreamXRMMV/Rpg-Maker-MV/master/DreamX_TransparentWindowExample.js

(this plugin will work as is, feel free to use)

I also included an alias for Yanfly's Party System. Notice a trend: we are aliasing the functions that initially create the windows. After we call the original, because those windows need to be created first, we then set the opacity of windows to 0.

JoePie

of Art/Game
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
Wow DreamX! This is something! Everything were blanked right now, which is a huge step forward thanks to you! What left now is to bind an image behind the window. I wonder is this function really hard to script? Sorry I have close to zero knowledge in scripting.

P.S: There's a Blue Window named Window_PartyDetail untouched by your script. See pic attached. I tried to put in <this.contents.opacity = 0> around the tab in PartySystem so I know which tab was affecting it, but in no avail. Can you advice me how to trouble shooting this?

2016-03-28 20_51_04-plugins_YEP_PartySystem.js (js) - Brackets.png

2016-03-28 20_35_40-HotDog.png

P.S2: I just added you to Special Thanks list on my game page, hope you don't mind. You helped too much I think credit was not even close to what you contributed in my game. Seriously, appreciated.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

JoePie

of Art/Game
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
Thanks DreamX! The blue Rect is gone! Cheers!

So what you mean is, I've been mistaken by the name of it since start, it's not Window_PartyDetail itself, but a Rect draw inside the function?

I'm sorry if the question sounds intruding. I'm trying to understand all these so I can solve these question without other's hand later.

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The rect draw is drawing a rectangle inside of your would be window; I assume it draws a dark  rectangle,  which is why it looks blue on your screen.

The Window_PartyDetail itself is a container for all of your drawings like text or rectangles inside of the window.

JoePie

of Art/Game
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
Thanks @Kino for your explanation. I'm actually learning Javascript through Codecademy right now. But what confused me is, how did you guys know where to look for which function was affecting, even is other's plugin? Looking through them one by one? Or I will learn something (yes like a skill  :p ) after years or months of coding experience ?

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To answer your question @JoePie -- it comes with experience, but also just taking your time and reading the code line by line does help. I'll be honest that sometimes I don't understand all the code inside other people's plugins, but I do know where to look for things once I understand how they're changing the structure.

So, I would think about the structure of the plugin, and how everything flows as you go from top to bottom.
But, in the case of the window... updates are called every frame in game,so I assumed that may be where the issue is.

JoePie

of Art/Game
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
Much thanks @Kino! Well then I will continue my endless search and learning of Javascript Knowledge!  BD

BTW by "updates are called every frame in game", I wonder where should I look for frame update? I've been trying to look for it in F8 console & elements when I calling the MENU yet nothing much happening there.

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

The Icecream Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well, maybe this code will point you in the right direction?

SceneManager.requestUpdate = function() {
    if (!this._stopped) {
        requestAnimationFrame(this.update.bind(this));
    }
};

SceneManager.update = function() {
    try {
        this.tickStart();
        this.updateInputData();
        this.updateMain();
        this.tickEnd();
    } catch (e) {
        this.catchException(e);
    }
};

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Kloe gives a good example here. @JoePie When you're writing the code most  of the classes like your Window_PartyDetail have an update method inside of them.
In her example, SceneManager has an update method, which is used to keep executing some sort of instruction every frame in game.

For example, let's say you wanted to write text to your screen. If you wanted to be changed or written again, it would go inside of the update method for that window that you're drawing too.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@JoePie There's a new plugin someone made, maybe it'll work for you to have an image background?

JoePie

of Art/Game
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
Hey @Kloe & @Kino Thanks for teaching! Learnt something new today thanks to you guys! Doing my best to get better  BD  CHeers!

Thanks @DreamX, It works well! I managed to change Quest window, but no luck with formation window. See pic attached for my setting. I've tried Scene_Party & Scene_MenuBase with no avail. I wonder which Scene I should point to?

View attachment 35105

Cheers,

Joe

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

The Icecream Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I believe you can just report it and it is closed and marked as closed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People3_1 and People3_2 added!

Part 2 of my Audio Engine tutorial for MZ is out!
Come join our stream starting at 2pm and win cool stuff! :D
Star citizen just announced they will develop a roadmap for their planned roadmap...
And i thought i needed order on my project... :kaoswt2:
Big City Greens had it right:
"Always back up your brain game, that's what I like to say!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reeman326