[Solved] Help with making 2nd Playthrough.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by srazysnake, Jun 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. srazysnake

srazysnake Villager Member

First Language:
    Korean
    I want my RPG mv game to have multiple endings and HARD Modes, but I realized switches and variables 'reset' whenever I send the player back to title screen after the credit-roll.

I searched for Plugins that transfers/saves switches/variable states, but couldn't find anything decent as well.

I want to do 3 things:

1. let my game remember switches/variables permanently(as long as you don't intentionally erase the saved slot yourself) within the same save-slot.

2. SAVE after the credit roll + moving to title screen to end, and when you load that saved slot by pressing continue..... NOT to start right after the credit-roll = instantly going to title screen, but to let it start a brand new game- but with your previous ending/switches/variables in-tact.

3. I want to restart- via credit-save>new game endlessly.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2016
  2. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Solution: don't always use the title screen? Like, when you start a new game or load a savestate, it sends you to a secondary "main menu", where you can select the current playthrough, restart it, see the credits or any other stats, etc. A bit like how Batman Arkham City does it (for example). So theoretically, from the engine's standpoint, you would still be in that save state, but to the player it would feel like going back to the menu.

srazysnake likes this.
  3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Look for a script or plugin called "New Game +", there are several available (depending on which maker you're using) and they store designated switches and variables for later playthroughs. Alternatively there are some ways to store the data externally, but that is probably more complex to use.

4. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is really a Support Forum question, not one for here.

Please confirm which engine you are using (your avatar says Ace, but people are linking to MV) so that I can move it.

On a side note, it is helpful if you click the 'Follow' button on your own threads, so that if it does get moved, merged or whatever, you get to know about it via a notification.

6. srazysnake

First Language:
    Korean
    @LaFlibuste

Hm... interesting, I guess that is a nice design- I'll try that, thnx for the suggestion!

@Andar

before I wrote this topic I already looked at it, shame it only works once XD

yeah... hope someone creates it. [] Thanx anyways!

@Wavelength

Huh... I already searched for YEP for this specific use... but I seem to have missed that one;; thnx-!

I'll check it out!

@ksjp17

Ohhhh... so that's why I've been not getting any notices.. -_- thnx;; I thought you follow your topic automatically, guess not. []

I already confirmed I use mv in my tag and my first sentence... guess I need to be much more clear lol.

I guess you could classify this as support question indeed.

oh yeah, thnx for telling me about the follow button and profile state.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2016
  7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @srazysnake That's OK, it can take a bit of time to work out all the features.

I am now moving this to MV Support forum.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

That is strange.

I admit I haven't checked the plugins for MV yet, but when I checked those scripts for Ace they worked by defining variables to be stored and reloaded on newgame+

That means if the same variables are changed during newgame+, their new values would be there if the newgame+ was called again.

So effectively you could always only choose between a complete restart and a new game based on the last previous playthrough, not on any values between.

I admit that it wil take a bit more thinking to make the newgame+ playthrough store the new values again, and you would probably have to make extra variables for counting the number of playthroughs, but it should be possible (unless the MV Plugins use a different method or make some shortcuts on the mechanic along the way).

9. srazysnake

First Language:
    Korean
    yeah, Yanfly save core works like a charm, thnx!