[Solved] How to do proper map transition?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by BurningOrca, Apr 15, 2019 at 1:42 PM.

1. BurningOrca

BurningOrca Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have set up map transition on player touch. This transports
    my character to the location on the next map where obviously the other
    map transition event is located.

Now if my player walks onto any neighbour map transition event he/she is immediately
    transfered back to the original map. I fixed this by adding a if Player faces correct
    direction in the event.

But now if the player walks onto any neighbour map transition event and presses the
    correct directional key afterwards, nothing happens.

How can I make it possible a map transition event is triggered when the player is
    located at the exact same position of the event and presses the direction where the next map is located?

Is this even the right subforum to ask this question?

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    No, it's not the right forum. "How do I ...?" (Implementation questions) belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using.

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Please post a screenshot of the event.

3. Calluses

Calluses Bee Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i'm really struggling, to wrap my head around what problem you're having, but when you say
    the immediate solution i can think of, is transporting to a space away from the event, like this. . .

[​IMG]

caethyril and BurningOrca like this.
  4. BurningOrca

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is from a test project
    Sorry screenshot is german, the event conditions are "Player touch" and "Below Player".
    The If Condition is "Player faces up".
    MAP001_TransitionEvent.PNG

And on the other map it is the same, but "Player faces down".
    MAP003_TransitionEvent.PNG

Calluses likes this.
  5. BurningOrca

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, but then if have to recreate my entire maps to contain the last row of tiles from the previous maps.

6. BurningOrca

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Maybe I do that, as this seems to be the simplest solution.

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The "proper" method is using the automated build-in event creation for transfer or door.

I strongly suggest you use the right-click "quick event" option to create a transfer event instead of doing it manually as that will show you how it is done correctly and be much less work than creating manual events with multiple commands and conditional branches in them.

8. BurningOrca

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Quick Event creates it with "below characters", too. I just tested this. I also tested it with "same as character" and I still
    would need the facing option, because otherwise if after being transferred
    I walk onto the neighbour transition event by pressing left on the new map I get immediately transferred, back.
    I do not want this, because I am not facing in the direction the previous map is located.
    So Calluses suggestions seems currently to be the best solution.

Calluses likes this.
  9. Jules98

Jules98 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BurningOrca No, there is a simpler way. You can set the direction the player will end up in after transfer.

Test8.JPG

10. Calluses

Calluses Bee Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

This is the only way I can think of doing it. Another way would be to make it so the event constantly interacts with anything touching it, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Keep in mind, for some reason, the parallel event processes player touch much faster, so making it wait 5 frames or something like that might be a good idea. I hope this helps!

BurningOrca likes this.
  11. BurningOrca

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I already knew that, but it seems only Calluses understands what my problem is, so I explain it properly now using screenshots:
    Story1.PNG
    If I go up from this position I am transferred, to the following location on the new map:
    Story2.PNG
    If I now press left nothing should happen, that is why I have the player facing condition in the event:
    Story3.PNG
    This is the behaviour I want. This only works when it is set to "below characters". If it is set to "same as characters" and still have the
    player facing condition in the event, I even cannot walk onto the event anymore.

But now my problem comes, if I now press down while still being on the event nothing happens, but I want to be transferred back to
    the original map:
    Story4.PNG

Thank you. I already thought of one parallel event, that constantly checks player position against the transfer event positions,
    but I thought I have to make it run a script that does this.
    I will try out your solution Callusses.
    Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    Calluses likes this.
  12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your problem is that you want to end up on the same place as the transfer-back-event.
    But the engine was written on the assumption that the player would be transported to the next position into the map, and the way the events react is programmed on that.

Events only trigger on entering their map position, NOT when the player is already standing on them.
    That fact has nothing to do with transfers, it is true for all events - your use of the transfer command just forces a bypass on the event by placing you on the event itself.

The regular transfer events will automatically work if you target the position above them in your example, they will never work as intended if you transfer the player on top of one such transfer event.

BurningOrca likes this.
  13. BurningOrca

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The parallel event works thank you.

Calluses likes this.
  14. BurningOrca

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar: Yes I did understand that, I was just searching for a way to work around that while keeping the transfer locations at outmost tiles of my maps where the transfer back events are located and the parallel transfer events solved this issue.

It works even better if I disable touch input via Yanflys Plugin just for the map. The only thing is, I miss touch input because it was really fast and I got used to it, but dashing speed is okay for me, too.