[SOLVED]Inform player of state ineffectiveness during battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcalsworld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Basically, I have some enemies that can't be affected by particular states, such as a Skeleton that cannot be poisoned. However, if the player was to cast a poison spell guaranteed to poison 100% (an extreme example), the attack lands but does nothing and the player isn't told why. Is there a way to have a message pop up to say something like "This enemy cannot be poisoned!!!" or something? Thanks in advance :)

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Make a blank dummy state that says in the message part "--- cannot be poisoned" make the poison skill apply poison and the state. Enemies that arn't immune to poison are immune to the dummy state. Enemies that are immune to poison arn't immune to the dummy state

bigcalsworld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Make a blank dummy state that says in the message part "--- cannot be poisoned" make the poison skill apply poison and the state. Enemies that arn't immune to poison are immune to the dummy state. Enemies that are immune to poison arn't immune to the dummy state
Ahh so simple lol! Worked perfectly, thanks very much :D

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Your welcome

Zero_G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is a problem that even "professional" games have. I liked how Persona handled it though, you either analyze an enemy first or disover a weakness/strength by trying a spell. Then next time you want to use that spell on that enemy, when selecting the target there is an icon that says if it's effective or not (Ex: slashed poison skull).

Of course you will need a personalized script for that...

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My today's performance in janitor work was so insane that my colleague suspected I was high on something.
Learning about how trademark works for game titles has given me new understanding about another reason why AAA developers/publishers sometimes reveal new games as "Project XXX" as a working title instead of the actual title. The cutthroat world of trademarks and IP trolls gets rougher every year as the pool of available titles for (legally safe) use shrinks due to the limitations of language.
how does everybody even finish anything

i have like 5 projects in the backburner and it's just so sad that i probably won't get to finish all or maybe even any of them
Did you know that 90% of people in the world use the number in their sentence as they see fit?
It's been a long time since I was here but I have a lot of updates... btw I am teaching again about game programming and game design in some schools here in Brazil hahahaha It's good to see kids and teens learning this kind of thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainecakez