RMMV [SOLVED: It was SRD_BattlePopupCustomizer] <Floating> Notetags causes an undefined error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: The Issue had nothing to do with the Yanfly Plugins at all; it was a SRD plugin. Moving it above Visual State FX fixed it! :kaoblush:

Engine: MV 1.6.2
Plugin: Animated Sideview Enemies (YEP)
Issue: Cannot read property 'y' of undefined [details in spoilers]

I'm not sure what's going on? It was working just fine until I installed a bunch of other plugins. I suddenly keep getting this error when I battletest. What fixes it is removing all the 'floating' notetags.
And just to be sure it wasn't another plugin effecting it, I even tested this with the notetags on a fresh project. It still crashes...what do I do?

1638796585629.png
1638796599802.png

And in a fresh project, with just SV Enemies, Battle Engine and Core Engine installed:
1638797537648.png
1638797580466.png

Notetag setup for the problem enemy:
1638796647209.png

Plugin order:
1638796709595.png
1638796749892.png
1638796774063.png
1638796808208.png
1638796834306.png

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
According to the Animated SV Enemies documentation, you need Action Sequence Pack 2 for floating enemies to work. If you have that plugin installed, and it's above the Animated Enemies in your plugin manager, you shouldn't receive that error.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Did you save your project to apply Plugin Manager changes before testing?

Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ATT_Turan Ah, Action Sequence pack? Then it may explain why it didn't work when I tested in a new project. However, all three Action Sequence packs are in my main project, and above Animated SV Enemies.

@caethyril Yes. I typically make sure to save often.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's odd...I was able to replicate that exact error in a new project by not including Action Sequences 2, but if you have it in your original project, that shouldn't be the problem.

I would suggest you make sure everything is in the order given on the YEP Web site, double check you have the latest versions of the plugins.

Then just standard troubleshooting...turn off everything except Battle Engine, Action Sequences 2 and Animated Enemies, make sure it works that way. Then turn stuff back on one at a time until you find the conflict.

Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's odd...I was able to replicate that exact error in a new project by not including Action Sequences 2, but if you have it in your original project, that shouldn't be the problem.

I would suggest you make sure everything is in the order given on the YEP Web site, double check you have the latest versions of the plugins.

Then just standard troubleshooting...turn off everything except Battle Engine, Action Sequences 2 and Animated Enemies, make sure it works that way. Then turn stuff back on one at a time until you find the conflict.
I may have been right the first time, come to think of it. It has to be another plugin affecting it.
It worked in the blank project once I added the sequence packs :kaoswt2:

But yeah, Imma do that.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the key to the original error is the part "of undefined".

this always means that the engine is trying to access a data object that does not exist.

the question is the why- why is there a reference that does not exist.
it often is a configuration error, like giving the ID to a database object in the plugin without that database object existing.
it can also be a compatibility problem if one plugin removes an object definition that another plugin needs
or a few other possibilities.

but I think you should go back analysing the exact situation when the error is triggered and looking for what kind of object the engine is supposed to handle at that moment. That will help identifying where the problem lies.

Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the key to the original error is the part "of undefined".

this always means that the engine is trying to access a data object that does not exist.

the question is the why- why is there a reference that does not exist.
it often is a configuration error, like giving the ID to a database object in the plugin without that database object existing.
it can also be a compatibility problem if one plugin removes an object definition that another plugin needs
or a few other possibilities.

but I think you should go back analysing the exact situation when the error is triggered and looking for what kind of object the engine is supposed to handle at that moment. That will help identifying where the problem lies.
Actually, I figured it out!

It looks like having Visual State Effects on caused the error. After turning every plugin off and then slowly turning them on again, I've singled out this one.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It looks like having Visual State Effects on caused the error. After turning every plugin off and then slowly turning them on again, I've singled out this one.
I made a project with Animated SV Enemies (plus prereqs) and Visual State Effects (plus prereqs) and do not have any errors.

Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made a project with Animated SV Enemies (plus prereqs) and Visual State Effects (plus prereqs) and do not have any errors.
Hmm. Weird to know.

Another plugin causing conflict while it's on, maybe? I'm stumped tbh :kaoswt:

Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, so

I think the version I have is out of date? When you tested it @ATT_Turan , did you have 1.03? Because I have 1.02...

It was included in the bundle when I was gifted the entire collection, so I'm not sure how I can get the updated version? I even just tried redownloading the files, and it gives me 1.02.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, so

I think the version I have is out of date? When you tested it @ATT_Turan , did you have 1.03? Because I have 1.02...

It was included in the bundle when I was gifted the entire collection, so I'm not sure how I can get the updated version? I even just tried redownloading the files, and it gives me 1.02.
My Visual State Effects in the bundle I downloaded from Itch is 1.03. If you're somehow getting something else, you should try contacting customer support - mismatched plugin versions could certainly cause your problems.

Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm so embarrassed right now omg

So uh, get this. It might actually be another plugin in my project that's doing something it shouldn't.

I was about to send an email to Itch, but something seemed off about the whole thing, so I went ahead and triple checked things. Both to be able to accurately describe my issue, and more importantly, see if there actually was an issue.

First off, and this is a nitpick, but I actually do have the upgraded version. Checked the change logs. Says it's 1.03 in the change logs, but 1.02 in the mini blurb that also shows in the plugin list. I deduced that I had an outdated plugin because I looked at the blurb and not the change logs, and it sorta annoys me thinking about it.

And, due to this inconsistency, it lead me to testing it again in a bare project, with the bare minimum needed for everything to function...it didn't crash.

Good lord...it's going to be annoying, but now I have a far better idea what I'm gonna fix. I only apologize on the behalf of whoever got second-hand embarrassment from all this. :kaophew:

KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It might be caused because of a plugin incompatibility. Nobody is perfect. Perhaps one plugin overwrite entirely a function, or stuff happens in the code preventing it to be defined properly.

You could also try to let the plugin you suspected turned on, and turn off everything else, and see if by turning on something with this plugin turned on, it causes the crash. It's one of the way to catch an incompatibility but it can be really annoying if you have alot of plugins.

The best way is being able to look at the JS code of the plugins, and backtrack the crash to find out what exactly went wrong, where and because of what. But some plugins do not allow you to share them (purchased plugins/licensed plugins). The console error give an idea, but it's not really enough without the code.

Also, if you added plugins later on during the development of the game, you might not be able to load a save that existed before the plugin was added. But it doesn't seem to be what went wrong there.
A function and an object aren't defined. Both seems to be about the Y coordinate (Y & this.AddFloatingHeight) of an enemy sprite.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First off, and this is a nitpick, but I actually do have the upgraded version. Checked the change logs. Says it's 1.03 in the change logs, but 1.02 in the mini blurb that also shows in the plugin list.
That's possible, I recall seeing an author make that mistake before. I don't have that plugin installed in my project, so I checked the version by just opening the plugin file and seeing what the comment near the top said.

Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good news, I got it working!

The plugin causing the error was actually SRD Battle Popups. Thankfully I can keep using it, too; all I had to do was move it above Visual State FX.

But anyway, thank you all! :kaoluv:

Last edited:

KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good news, I got it working!

The plugin causing the error was actually SRD Battle Popups. Thankfully I can keep using it, too; all I had to do was move it above Yanfly's plugins.

But anyway, thank you all! :kaoluv:
Good job ! :rhappy:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Usually we like the original post to be kept intact, though you can edit it to add a comment at the top or bottom to say it's been resolved. No need to remove it or put in a spoiler or strike it out - having all the info there and visible could be helpful to other members in the future :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Character selection in games be like
Special Tractor Operation! :kaojoy:
Current status screens for Shadows of the Earth: The Vrila'an Legend. Need to do something about the color scheme lol
Captura de pantalla (259).pngCaptura de pantalla (260).png
My first serious victim in game hacking - Pawnbarian.
Diana Path 2.png
I love these two design wise lol... The high school principal and the captain of the women's wrestling team. they team up as bosses to save the school's accreditation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErichZann