FoxySeta

Cleric, script kiddie and fudanshi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is kinda of an "eventing" (how is it called outside RPG Maker?:kaoswt2:) style question, but when are you actually supposed to prefer labels over conditions/loops scene commands?

In high-level programming, for example, goto should be used only when:
  • a program automatically generates code (ex. parser generators)
  • exiting from nested loops
I understand how "eventing" is somewhat different, but I'd appreciate some stylistic guidelines to event good scenes.

I also tried checking VNM's guide, but here's all I found:
  • 2017-01-30_13-10-13.jpg
  • 2017-01-30_13-04-09.jpg

Last edited:

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Jump to label is quite rare to be used, because the only time when it's more usable than loop is when you need to jump forward in the code instead of looping the code.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Labels are good when you really need to jump around the code a lot or to a far far part of the code (which if you do via conditionals would cause you to copy paste a lot of codes making conditionals inefficient), but in my so many years of using RM products, I rarely used that function..

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I used a label structure to create subroutines on an event, which can't account for them.
program goes in, literally runs the command "go to label xxxxx" as a script call ("xxxxx" being dynamic, changes according to the game), runs the event, goes back right after the script call, exits the main loop.
I didn't want to bother making hundreds of independent common events that would all run the-same-thing-but-not-quite, so I packed them all into the same event through labels.

the system didn't merit it's own plugin, hence the complex eventing.

the whole system is basically a manager: you send it one piece of data, the event does all the processing, and returns, independent from the main program.

FoxySeta

Cleric, script kiddie and fudanshi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Jump to label is quite rare to be used, because the only time when it's more usable than loop is when you need to jump forward in the code instead of looping the code.
What about conditions?
Labels are good when you really need to jump around the code a lot or to a far far part of the code (which if you do via conditionals would cause you to copy paste a lot of codes making conditionals inefficient), but in my so many years of using RM products, I rarely used that function..
Oh I see here come conditions:kaophew:

Thanks! (I just hope it's the same with VNM)

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still like using the loops even with conditions, because it keeps cleaner code - I don't have to worry about processing more than I wanted to by accident.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Well I am infinitely upset that I finally got a good idea... after the Touch the Stars game jam is pretty much over.

Gather resources to build a spaceship to escape the apocalypse! It would have been cool....
Thinking that if I get MZ, I'll work on a new Project. How about instead of just an RPG, I make it episodic, like an anime? You might even get fanservice. Oh, but I need the right costume for the character.
"but what even is an API??"
Poppet Quest stats so far.. 61 views, 20 downloads, 3 reviews, 1 comment, 4 followers gained.... Hmm...
From a content creation standpoint, games really have awful traction. At least the experiment is interesting, time to see what adding Twitter into the mix does. Maybe the supposed 1,290 followers I have on it will prove useful. Then I'll test out Insta. :barf:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duckstuff2008