RMMV [SOLVED] Letters with tails are getting cut off, regardless of text padding increase

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I apologize in advance, I honestly don't know where to post this issue and I'm not entirely sure if it's just restricted to MV or Yanfly's plugins in general, or maybe I'm just bad at making fonts too. I have no other plugins installed that are effecting fonts.
I made a custom font and any letter with a tail that extends past the baseline gets cut off. "y,g,p,q" etc...
Using Yanfly core engine + message core: I tried increasing—and decreasing—the text padding but it appears to do nothing, and so I played around with the font's max top & bottom lines.
To clarify: this happens only in Yanfly's message core name box—not the actual text box—and the skill description box in skill core, as far as I know.

I'm using just "Ag" for this example, and this is what it looks like by default in the editor:
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.52.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.52.41 PM.png
By default in-game:
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.36.18 PM.png
When moving the bottom of "g" up to the baseline
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.33.15 PM.png
When moving the bottom of "g" up to the baseline, and extending the top line to compensate for "A" being moved upward.
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.35.24 PM.png
So when I adjust the top line or bottom line further away from the actual baseline it makes the font tiny and it increases the divide between lines of text, which is not my desired outcome.

Oddly enough if I make the font smaller using the yanfly text command "\}" everything fits within the invisible font bounding box. Do I really have to make compromise by manually using the "\}" command + increasing the font size through the plugin, or is there a better solution?

What's even funnier is the default font lineup works fine with the options menu and battle buttons like these:
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 5.50.41 PM.png
Although, with the way the window.png works, you can potentially see that invisible boundary box. So is there a way to adjust text padding and or alignment by the y axis? I don't know wether to point fingers at the mv engine, the plugins, or myself for that matter.

Edit: to make it less of a mystery, here are all of my currently installed plugins:
Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.45.58 AM.png
Yanfly's skill core, skill description window:
Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 9.04.11 AM.png

Last edited:

Rugman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you tried increasing the line height?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Moved to Plugin Support

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
confirm text missing completely at window height equal to 2 * padding?

every window's length and width should be a minimum of 2 * padding + 1, otherwise the border takes over the actual content of the window because of how the window object is structured.
it's fixable, but that depends on whether that plugin creates it's own windows.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
confirm text missing completely at window height equal to 2 * padding?

every window's length and width should be a minimum of 2 * padding + 1, otherwise the border takes over the actual content of the window because of how the window object is structured.
it's fixable, but that depends on whether that plugin creates it's own windows.
I get what you mean, unfortunately when I adjust the padding on the name box window from message core it only adjusts the x axis. Here's what my current message core settings look like:
Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.43.00 AM.png

After adjusting the name box padding from * 5 to * 20:
Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.50.14 AM.png
I'm no javascript expert, so is there a specific formula for adjusting the y axis of the padding?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you tried increasing the line height?
I wish that was a specific option in the plugin settings, however, "rows" is the only thing that is similar and it doesn't affect the name box, only the general text box.

5 rows vs 10 rows:
Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.56.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.59.31 AM.png

This is what my current message core plugin settings look like:
Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.43.00 AM.png

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's a known issue for the namebox for those "gpyq" to be cut off.
the only way I can think off is smaller fonts or bigger name box.

but try avoiding double post, but edit your own :)

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
what I want to establish is the text being covered by the border (it being not transparent) when the size of the window is equal to border + 0 + border, with border being equal to "padding".
if that's the case, then the padding is being calculated from the edge of the window, not the border.

it's a problem with how the window is constructed, being cut and put together from fragments of the window skin.
the structure should be edge, border, padding, text, padding, border, edge, with border being fixed, and padding being variable.
but it looks more like it's edge, padding, border, text, border, padding, edge, with both border and padding being variable and often overlapping each other.
there used to be a check (in Ace) to make the window a minimum size accounting for that fact. MV is based on Ace, so the default structure should be similar. Maybe this plugin removed it or bypassed it.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe the corners in the window skin is 16 pixels, so text start from 16 pixels
from the side, 16 pixels from the bottom and top, so in order to make it work
correctly I think, is to make text aline "center" (from left to right) and "center"
for top and bottom. so if name box is 40 pixels hight, 20 is left, so make it 60
and you 40, so center the text in the middle (top and bottom) should fix the
font if it's 24.

but no idea how to accomplish that part.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The dolls are complete Shizukuandyuki.pngyunaandyuka.png what do you guys think of them i worked really hard on them
TFW you finally defeat an obnoxious bug in your project. B)
Made a showcase, guide, and tutorial to using GENE Scene Builder with RPG Maker MV :kaoslp:

For a long time I always consider XP soundtracks as the best one.
Just listened to some of MZ tracks from the free version.
It's... Quite mindblowing. xD
Only listened to the battles, towns, and fields.
But I'm sure the rest are equally good. :D
What do you guys want to see for the new Jump into Javascript? A continuation of the rpg_objects, or would you prefer a "lesson 0" where I go back to the absolute basics of Javascript and cover the fundamentals of the language and its construction?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmyFlakes