[Solved (More or Less)]

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by DragonRose35, Oct 26, 2018.

1. DragonRose35

DragonRose35 Scaleything Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright, so... this one might be a little bit complicated. And I am well-aware it may not be possible.

However, I am looking to create a system inside my game where the player character can change their party when they access a crystal. Obviously, this would only count for party members that are accessible or able to be changed out. For example, if a certain character was unable to be switched out, the player character would not be able to replace them until they're able to be switched out again.

Does this make sense?

How would I do this without making it super complicated to where it's not possible?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thank you~

~ Dragon

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Make events using change Party member command and use a switch to signal if an actor is available or not.

3. DragonRose35

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    See, that's the complicated part... I have a feeling then, for this to work, I will need to make a lot of switches and conditions.

Throughout the game there will be seven player characters you can change from, each available after a certain part of the story. As with any rpg game, the player will only be able to have four people in their party, including the main character... thus I would have to figure out a way to make it so only three people could be added at a time.

This in itself I do not think would be difficult, but it would take a lot of time and frustration to make sure everything was lined correctly for it to work.

Thank you anyway...

~ Dragon

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you'll need exactly one switch for each actor.

However, switches should not be complicated for you, they're one of the very basics absolutely needed for game development.
    If you're new to game development and have trouble handling switches and variables, then I strongly suggest you temporarily stop working on your own game and start a tutorial project instead, where you work through tutorials until you understand what switches and variables are and how they're used. After that you'll scrap your tutorial project and can continue with your own game project.

The link to the starting point in my signature will guide you to the tutorials you'll need to be able to finish your own game.
    Because you cannot finish your game if you have problems with handling switches.

5. DragonRose35

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If I was new to switches and variables, I couldn't have gotten as far as I have. (Though I will admit most of that was because of Junane helping me with skills and things.) As it is, that is not what I meant.

I'm going to mark this as solved, and continue figuring out how to do it as I was thinking of doing it.

Thank you.

~ Dragon

6. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @DragonRose35 I know you marked this as solved, but it's not really and I think an alternate solution could be found if this were left open. As such, I'm going to throw out that you can, through event commands, enable and disable formation access in the menu. If I were doing this, I would set an autorun event at the beginning of the game to disable Formation. Then, use the crystals to enable it.

This works, but I do not have an immediate best solution as to how to disable the Formation menu once the player is finished with it.

I can go ahead and close this if you want, or leave it open to other suggestions. However, before it's closed, I would like to ask that you change the title back to what it was previously, as now, someone else searching for the same solution will not realize what this topic is about.

edit: Okay, I've been playing around, because I like the challenge of figuring out solutions with eventing. What I got to work is the following:

Formation 1.png

Formation 2.png

The first page enables the formation access and sends it to page 2 where a wait is put in place before disabling the formation access. The way I've set it up, the player has about 30 seconds to access the formation menu. Once in the menu scene, the countdown pauses. My wait is 30 seconds, you can adjust it as you like. Personally I would give the player a notice in the tutorial or something that lets them know they only have a certain amount of time after clicking the crystal to access the formation menu.

You could also put the visual cue of a timer in. This will let the player know how long they have left to access the menu. However, you still need the wait in, otherwise, it will automatically go to the next command after starting the timer, which is disabling the formation access.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018