Not open for further replies.

Acidicjester

Cool Guy
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heyo community! Been awhile since I posted on here but I wanted to maybe see about solving an issue I'm running into currently with specialized potions. In the project I'm working on I have an area covered in lava pools and smoke and I've made a heat potion to temporarily ignore the effects of the heat in the area. Basically I have the potion call a common event that gives the party a state. I haven't wrapped my head around states too much if I'm being perfectly honest. So as of right now all it does is give the actors a flame icon in the menu.

What I'm trying to accomplish however is to affect only one party member. I'll post screenshots below with extra description as well as a video link.
Sorry in advance if this is a lot :(

So here is the Item itself. Currently it calls the Common Event Heat Potion Used as well as heal an extra 5HP just for an extra kick.
Heat-potion-item.PNG

The common event basically adds the State Heat Timer to the party (for now) and controls a switch to start another common event with a timer attached. As you can see below I have a temporary "solution" to where the potion will "Divide" itself to the other party member once the party member is checked(See If: Snek is in the party). I'd like to scrap that idea all together if I could just effect party members separately.
Heat-potion-item2.PNG

I have the other common event when the trigger is activated. It looks like this:
Heat-potion-item3.PNG

Basically this works totally fine if I just wanted the potion to effect everyone and be done with it but I'd really love the player to go out of their way and get enough potions for all party members when going into the lava areas. Below I show the State itself. It's really not a whole lot to look at. It's practically blank so I'm wondering if there's something I don't know about states or that I'm missing that will solve the issue and maybe I can avoid common events? Here's the state:
Heat-potion-item4.PNG

Now getting on to what the "Heat" actually is. It's basically a parallel event tick between every 60 seconds that damages the actors but checks to make sure you have that Heat Timer state active.
Heat-effect.PNG

So that's where I'm at right now. I KNOW it's probably something I'm overlooking or something so super simple but I guess I couldn't grasp it yet. Wondering if anyone has any insight on this.

Here's a video describing the process:

Thanks! :wink:

Attachments

Triangle45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd really love the player to go out of their way and get enough potions for all party members when going into the lava areas.
No offense but how does that sound fun to you? Imagine that in Pokemon when you want to get out of a cave instead of using Rope, you have to use X amount of Ropes depending on how many Pokemon you have in the cave. I mean I know what you are trying to do, but sometimes simplicity works in favor of entertainment rather than realism. (imagine using the potion only on the main hero, your other party members would be like "wtf what about us"?) Anyway here's your answer:

and here it is in action
hope this helps

Attachments

Acidicjester

Cool Guy
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks @Triangle45 this seemed to do the trick! I even managed to get the timer working well too.

No offense but how does that sound fun to you? Imagine that in Pokemon when you want to get out of a cave instead of using Rope, you have to use X amount of Ropes depending on how many Pokemon you have in the cave. I mean I know what you are trying to do, but sometimes simplicity works in favor of entertainment rather than realism. (imagine using the potion only on the main hero, your other party members would be like "wtf what about us"?)
I understand the criticism. I realize realism isn't approached well with most people in games like these. I'm making this as a passion project for my friend and figured it might add a little challenge. Thanks again :rock-right:

-Mods may close-

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We are truly intellectuals.
Without using violence without weapons
Our group has as many as 1.3 million people and more than 1 hundred thousand talks.
We gathered in an hour, more than 4.5 Half a hundred thousand

I got a Sword.
I got an Axe.
I got two Swords.
Nothing to see here, just walking with my dog.
I haven’t worked on my game in a while. Tomorrow might be the day.
*squeals* :kaoblush:

I've been experimenting with improved memory management again, which allowed me to include items to increase player path length. These are both 44 grid spaces long, and stable. :LZSexcite:
I FINALLY DID IT! 5 years making my very first game and I just officially released it on STEAM..... OMG..... I can say I finished a game! The feelings!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robb_dog14