[SOLVED] Need help with the "Change Name" (create), and "Name Input Processing" on another event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've managed to make an Event system where it gives the Player a "membership username" (in a quest) to use for logging in to a computer, which worked fine.​
But...​
what I really wanna do, is to give the Player the freedom to choose his own login info/username by the use of the "Input Name Processing" option.​
I've done that by creating an unnamed and characterless Actor (which will be like an "Identification Card") that turns into the Player's Party by the use of the option "Change Party Member", "Change Name", and then "Name Input Processing". After typing a name, which successfully changes the Name of the Party Member except logging into the computer with the selected username does not work.​
Any tips on how to make this work when the player chooses his own username for his Party Member and login with it?​

[IMAGES REMOVED]​

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the conditional branch can only compare with a fixed string.

to compare with a variable name you need to use the script equivalents of the name access, and then with two different actors (one for storing the choosen name, one to temporarily hold the input).

there is a topic somewhere in the Ace sections that holds the script equivalents of all event commands, that also includes the script code for name access.

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is a topic somewhere in the Ace sections that holds the script equivalents of all event commands, that also includes the script code for name access.

I was searching for that topic, but I couldn't find it..​

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I tried to experiment with the scripts, but it was a failure since I'm still a noob when it comes to basic coding.
If you could guide me to this, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I didn't understand this part, the "IF" on page 1 of the "MEMBERSHIP CARD" event is empty.

The problem is in the "IF" of the common event "Main Screen" only works if the character name is empty.
In other words, the way you made the name it must be exactly "" to work (without the quotes).

Logically, only in LOGIN you need to temporarily save the current name of character 003 in a variable and to compare it to the name you enter again, try this:
Code:
◆Control Variables:#0081 checklogin_tmp = $gameActors._data[3]._name
◆Name Input Processing:#0003, 8 characters
◆If:Script:$gameActors._data[3]._name == $gameVariables.value(81)
  ◆Text:AI and E.M.M.A(0), Window, Middle
  :    :Login Sucess...
  ◆Exit Event Processing
  ◆
:Else
  ◆Common Event:E.M.M.A (Incorrect Login)
  ◆Script:$gameActors.actor(3).setName($gameVariables.value(81))
  ◆Exit Event Processing
  ◆
:End

Variable 81 was just an example, you can use any available one.

Last edited:

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't understand this part, the "IF" on page 1 of the "MEMBERSHIP CARD" event is empty.

Yeah, no, don't mind the "IF" in the "Membership Card" event. It was just something I used for a few text messages.​
The problem is in the "IF" of the common event "Main Screen" only works if the character name is empty.
In other words, the way you made the name it must be exactly "" to work (without the quotes).

Logically, only in LOGIN you need to temporarily save the current name of character 003 in a variable and to compare it to the name you enter again, try this:
Code:
◆Control Variables:#0081 checklogin_tmp = $gameActors._data[3]._name
◆Name Input Processing:#0003, 8 characters
◆If:Script:$gameActors._data[3]._name == $gameVariables.value(81)
◆Text:AI and E.M.M.A(0), Window, Middle
: :Login Sucess...
◆Exit Event Processing

:Else
◆Common Event:E.M.M.A (Incorrect Login)
◆Script:$gameActors.actor(3).setName($gameVariables.value(81))
◆Exit Event Processing

:End

I tried separate ways (in the screenshots below) to make this code work, but none did. If I did wrong (which I probably did), I should tell you that I have a lack of knowledge when it comes to coding.
[IMAGES REMOVED]

Last edited:

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Naming a variable as a Script command will not assign any value to it, the Script field is just for that. :eek:
1.png

In my view you at least used the "Script" field correctly in the "IF", otherwise it would appear one more equal sign in front. :kaoswt2:

"3" is the character ID "E.M.M.A" that you provided in the images, you don't need to use variable 3 for that either, they don't have a link. o_O

A tip, read the entire RMMV manual, you may be missing out on the opportunity to learn various methods for developing event systems because you are not familiar with the menus. :rolleyes:

If you do not have access to the manual, see this site:

Good luck

Last edited:

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Naming a variable as a Script command will not assign any value to it, the Script field is just for that. :eek:
View attachment 201924
Got it, and changed it just like as it shows in the screenshot.​
__________________________________________________________________________________________​
In my view you at least used the "Script" field correctly in the "IF", otherwise it would appear one more equal sign in front. :kaoswt2:
Thank you, I did it right with the Conditional "Script" in the IF section because it was showing it clear in your previous method.​
__________________________________________________________________________________________​
"3" is the character ID "E.M.M.A" that you provided in the images, you don't need to use variable 3 for that either, they don't have a link. o_O
I'm already fully aware that Variables have no link to the Actor ID. The reason why had it in Variable #3 is that I'm keeping the Variables organized and don't wanna mix them up with one thing in one variable and an entirely different thing in the next Variable close to it. I'm taking my project seriously.​
As you've told me: "Variable 81 was just an example, you can use any available one."
A tip, read the entire RMMV manual, you may be missing out on the opportunity to learn various methods for developing event systems because you are not familiar with the menus. :rolleyes:

If you do not have access to the manual, see this site:

Good luck

Thanks for the manual, I'll definitely read it whenever I get enough time off work.​
Now, I did go through exactly the same method as you described, even though you used the variables as an example, so I followed it anyway.​
Here are the results:​
(Just tell me the error I made, one last time. If I don't get to make it, this thread will be closed and I'll go back to the login method with the fixed name, and will move on with my project. Deal?)​

[IMAGES REMOVED]

Last edited:

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
It seems you did everything right, the error is when the variable captures the information of actor 3, it may be because you started the game from a Save in which this actor did not yet exist, if so, just start the game from the beginning .

Otherwise, do you need to send me a copy of the CommonEvents.json and Actors.json files?

Both are in the data folder.

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It seems you did everything right, the error is when the variable captures the information of actor 3, it may be because you started the game from a Save in which this actor did not yet exist, if so, just start the game from the beginning .
No, I always start in a New Game whenever I test play it, never from a save.​

Otherwise, do you need to send me a copy of the CommonEvents.json and Actors.json files?

Both are in the data folder.

Sure thing, I can send you the files you need to look at. In what transfer method would you like them? Can't attach these type of files here nor able to send them to you in a private convo.​
__________________________________________________________________________________________

The thing is, that TypeError of "_name" shows up only when clicking "Login" before/without getting the "Membership Card" (Actor #3) from the first event called "Membership Card TEST". The main problem right now is that it is giving me an error and it doesn't jump to the "Incorrect Input" common event as it should. (The "Membership Card" Actor is something that is supposed to come later in the game as a quest, and the player will be able to level up the "Card" to get unlock more features.)​
So, I just recently test played the game by grabbing the "Membership Card" (Actor #3) first from the first event, and I changed the name and the "Login" worked fine as I experimented with different/various name changes in each test play. The only problem that remains is the error showing up rather than jumping to the "Incorrect Input" common Event. If that is fixed, then the solution will be marked as solved :smile:

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
These are the allowed formats:
mime-type.png

You could have ZIP zipped which has a native zip in most operating systems, such as "Send Zip" (Windows), "Compress" (Linux and MacOS).
Or use third party software like Winrar or 7Zip.

And even if I couldn't, I could have opened the files in a text editor and used the "Save As..." option to create a copy in "TXT" which is also accepted.

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These are the allowed formats:
View attachment 202222

You could have ZIP zipped which has a native zip in most operating systems, such as "Send Zip" (Windows), "Compress" (Linux and MacOS).
Or use third party software like Winrar or 7Zip.

And even if I couldn't, I could have opened the files in a text editor and used the "Save As..." option to create a copy in "TXT" which is also accepted.

Here you go:

[PROJECT FILES REMOVED]

Last edited:

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
When I opened the common event the "_name" was being memorized in the variable 0002 and not in the 0003 that was used in the next IF.

As for the event command, the error was mine, I'm sorry, it was my mistake, the command $gameActors._data[ID]._name only works if the actor's ID is in the group, regardless of position.

Use this command instead:
JavaScript:
$gameActors.actor(3)._name

In the IF do not put " ; " as it is not necessary.

Good luck

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I opened the common event the "_name" was being memorized in the variable 0002 and not in the 0003 that was used in the next IF.

As for the event command, the error was mine, I'm sorry, it was my mistake, the command $gameActors._data[ID]._name only works if the actor's ID is in the group, regardless of position.
It's alright, no worries​
Use this command instead:
JavaScript:
$gameActors.actor(3)._name

In the IF do not put " ; " as it is not necessary.

Good luck
at least, the result of your solution is a Success.
The E.M.M.A. login method now working exactly how I wanted it to!​
Thank you. Much appreciated for your time and help, friend. +rep

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Only the goggles are imported ... not the eyes
a lot of my maps and battlebacks are me redrawing base rpg maker mv stuff to match with my own artwork... sometimes it comes out ok lol.
Guess I had to do something related to xmas... :kaoswt2:
SWZtrkz.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Belfphegor