Goddiga

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! I was considered using HIME's Timed Choice Selection script, which will close the choice box and select the cancel choice automatically after some time has passed, in my game. However, its function was limited for a cancel branch choice only. I need it to be able to set up any choice I wanted (or at least where it is highlighted) or calling the common event when the time has run out. I also need the choice to be unable to cancel to make choosing the choices in the game more sensible. This function was possible in VX ACE script so I think it would be possible in MV, too.

Here's the link for HIME's Timed Choice Selection MV script : http://himeworks.com/2016/05/timed-choice-selection/

If it is not possible to edit it and you have another idea of writing the new script instead, please PM me.
Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can do that through events. Just set it up where the cancel branch is the same as the choice you want to be defaulted to be selected.
ie set the cancel branch to be choice 1 or choice 2. or which ever choice you want. I have it set up to be a randomly picked from the available choices you have. ie if you're told to choose between yes, no or maybe, if you don't pick, it'll chose randomly any of the three choices of yes, no or maybe

See Picture for Example:
Screenshot (9).png

Also here's my sample set up, from my debug room.
I have 3 choices Yes, No, and Maybe.
If you pick Yes, No or Maybe before time runs out, than it'll run the message before that choice. However if you don't pick, it'll randomly choose for you, which happens under the canceled conditional branch. The common event, is set up to pick which time you want for the timer by picking the correct time by using a variable that's controlled in the options menu (I'm using a SRD's Options Creator, to make options, and when you change those options, it's stored in a variable.) And besides that common event is set up to force a cancel when the time runs out, and that's it.

On Map Event:
Screenshot (20).png Screenshot (21).png

Common Event:
Screenshot (18).png Screenshot (19).png

Last edited:

Goddiga

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can do that through events. Just set it up where the cancel branch is the same as the choice you want to be defaulted to be selected.
ie set the cancel branch to be choice 1 or choice 2. or which ever choice you want. I have it set up to be a randomly picked from the available choices you have. ie if you're told to choose between yes, no or maybe, if you don't pick, it'll chose randomly any of the three choices of yes, no or maybe

See Picture for Example:
View attachment 75060

Thank you for your suggestion! Is there any way to make it possible when the cancel is disallow? In fact, that's one of the main problem. I have to apologize that I didn't mention about this.

In my game, there's two or more sets of choices, such as

1. Talk
and inside this choice has--
1.1 Who are you?
1.2 Go away!

2. Attack
2.1 Punch
2.2 Kick

1. and 2. are the choices for the main commands, and the timer should only start when you're choosing the 1.1 1.2 2.1 or 2.2. You should be unable to cancel back to the main commands or else it wouldn't make sense to choose another command. It would also be a bad idea to set the cancel choice to be a bad one and make the player be cautious about not to press it by themselves.

So, what I want is to use Hime's script while the cancel is disallow or find some sensible way to achieve the similar result.

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@goddialga I just updated my images to inculde the method I figured out using without editing HIME's script.
Basically in the common event I have this script call (Script Call 1):
Window_ChoiceList.prototype.isCancelEnabled = function() {
return false;
};

And on the bottom of the On-Map Event I have this script call(Script Call 2):

return $gameMessage.choiceCancelType() !== -1;

};

For you I recommend that before the choice text shows. Ie if you have a message, like "Talk?" then Choice 1- Talk, Choice 2 - Go away.
the script call should come before that that message. The script call you should use is Script Call 1. And then under the choice or on the next event page put Script Call 2.

As for the timer:
My choices tend to be:
Message "What do you want to do?"
1. Jump
2. Run
3. Nothing
So the timer, get's put on before the message. and the switch for the pallel process that cancels is placed before it so it's...
Switch Turned On
Timer
1. Jump
2. Run
3. Nothing.
Since turning on the timer between the Message and the choices, would show the messages then the choices.

Last edited:

Goddiga

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@goddialga I just updated my images to inculde the method I figured out using without editing HIME's script.
Basically in the common event I have this script call (Script Call 1):
return false;
};

And on the bottom of the On-Map Event I have this script call(Script Call 2):

return $gameMessage.choiceCancelType() !== -1;

};

For you I recommend that before the choice text shows. Ie if you have a message, like "Talk?" then Choice 1- Talk, Choice 2 - Go away.
the script call should come before that that message. The script call you should use is Script Call 1. And then under the choice or on the next event page put Script Call 2.

As for the timer:
My choices tend to be:
1. Jump
2. Run
3. Nothing
So the timer, get's put on before the message. and the switch for the pallel process that cancels is placed before it so it's...
Switch Turned On
Timer
1. Jump
2. Run
3. Nothing.
Since turning on the timer between the Message and the choices, would show the messages then the choices.

Oh yes! It's really works! Thank you so much!! Is there any conditions beside giving a credit if I used your method in a commercial game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ugh... 4:53AM over here and I can't sleep so why not just game make.
I just love the MV feature that allows you to create your own animations!
I typically ask this on my normal social media channels, but figured there may be good replies here. Anyone got any good horror movie recommendations? I've seen a lot, but I always love getting suggestions! Bonus points if you know which service it is streaming on (in the US) - bring on the spOoooOky!
 After a few distractions (and my annual rough second week of October), I’m getting back on track with my OMGC project.
 Am I overcomplicating it? Yes. Am I going to tone it down? Almost certainly not.
 At least the dialogue stuff is almost done. I need to do the map itself, and then all that’s left is combat.
 Getting there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlawlsrjs3387