studwb22

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm having an issue with an NPC Randomly moving during a cutscene or when I try to disable the random walking the cutscene won't load at all I just get a black screen. I created the NPC as an event and I am using a master event to control both the NPC event and the player for the cutscene. However after the cutscene ends I want the NPC to start moving around the room with random movement. Any Idea where I'm going wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 12

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hope MIlls have random on page 2, which is why he does that?

Kirye

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So if i'm reading this right, you need Hope to stop moving during cutscenes? You would need a third page in the event with a new Switch and fixed movement. Once IntroCutscene is ON, Hope won't stop moving randomly until you anchor it with something new.

If you mean the NPC is moving randomly even before the cutscene ends, then i'm not sure without looking at a demo. Everything looks fine on the screenshots.

studwb22

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hope MIlls have random on page 2, which is why he does that?
I know I'm trying to get her to have random movement after the cutscene is over. But for some reason it keeps playing during the cutscene or if I set it up like I have in the screenshots where a trigger is enabled at the end of the cutscene that should activate her page 2 which would activate here text and random movement it prevents the cutscene from playing at all. The screen just fades to black and never fades back in.

[EDIT] For further clarification the switch to turn on her random movement isn't being called until the end of the cutscene but for some reason she's moving during it before the switch is activated.

Last edited:

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Set the second part of your cutscene on a switch that Part 1 triggers.

studwb22

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So if i'm reading this right, you need Hope to stop moving during cutscenes? You would need a third page in the event with a new Switch and fixed movement. Once IntroCutscene is ON, Hope won't stop moving randomly until you anchor it with something new.

If you mean the NPC is moving randomly even before the cutscene ends, then i'm not sure without looking at a demo. Everything looks fine on the screenshots.
So I need her to have fixed movement to begin with which is why I have Page 1 set up that way. I control her movement during the cutscene with a controller event. Then at the end of the controller event I turn the Intro Cutscene switch which should disable the controller event and enable Page 2 for hope which would then activate her random movement and interaction dialogue. But instead it prevents the controller event from running at all and the game just freezes on a black screen from the end of the first controller event.

studwb22

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Set the second part of your cutscene on a switch that Part 1 triggers.
I tried that I added another switch but it is still freezing on the black screen.

[EDIT] The black screen was an error I switched the page 2 switch on the Intro Part 2 Controller to self switch A instead of the Intro Part 1 Complete switch and the black screen freeze was resolved. However she is still moving randomly during the cutscene.

[EDIT 2] Changed out screen shots to reflect current configuration in the order that RMMV should search and execute them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    256.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    81 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    225.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@studwb22
Your biggest problem is that you split control of the cutscene.

One cutscene should always be controlled by one controlling event. As soon as you split commands of a single cutscene between different events on parallel or autorun, you will get timing problems - and those are difficult to solve.

so your first step would be to combine intro part 1 and part 2 into a single event page. then you can sort on that event page what should happen in which order, and activate the random movement only at the end of the entire cutscene.

If you still have problems after you combined the two parts into a single event, show us the screenshots of that finished event again.

studwb22

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@studwb22
Your biggest problem is that you split control of the cutscene.

One cutscene should always be controlled by one controlling event. As soon as you split commands of a single cutscene between different events on parallel or autorun, you will get timing problems - and those are difficult to solve.

so your first step would be to combine intro part 1 and part 2 into a single event page. then you can sort on that event page what should happen in which order, and activate the random movement only at the end of the entire cutscene.

If you still have problems after you combined the two parts into a single event, show us the screenshots of that finished event again.
Thanks for the tip. I am trying to combine the cutscene all into the first controller the issue I ran into is that I can't control the "Hope" event from the first event controller because they are not on the same map. That is why I separated them in the first place. Any suggestions for how to get around that?

[EDIT] Ok so google tells me there is no way to control an event from another map. So I had to split the scene. I can't be the first person to try to make a cutscene across multiple maps so the functionality should be there. I had the idea to change my approach and simply have the first "Hope" event run the cutscene and then at the end of it erase that event and trigger a new one in its place with the random movement and dialogue. Simple enough. But it still isn't working Nowhere in any event have I called Switch 0002 which will erase the "Hope" event when turned on yet as soon as the 2nd map loads it is erasing the event and interrupting the cutscene. This makes no sense I have only called control switch 0001 and self switch a on the first event controller and have not called any switches on the second.

[EDIT 2] I finally got this resolved. I'm chalking this up to a glitch in RPG Maker I hope someone from the team will look into this. For some reason even though I had it set to trigger the single switch 0001 it was triggering 0002 as well. I had to increase the maximum number of switches to 100 and then put the second event on switch 0021. After doing that it no longer triggered when 0001 did and everything works as it should. This most certainly seems like a bug.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

yay, i finally got around adding a profile pic! :guffaw:
My imagination works faster than my development process. At least, I can take pleasure in treating it as an adventure. :)

I should probably step away from the sparkles... but they're soooooooo shiny! :kaoswt:

Anyway stuff of note:
New interface.
The puzzle pieces now a build a puzzle in the upper right corner.
The Nihil is represented by the line with skulls. That represents where the map no longer exists at the moment.
MarcheBeoulve1 wrote on amerk's profile.
What the hell's up with your Profile Pic!
It's so cursed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScribblyGryphon