Not open for further replies.

Jyger85

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey, so I'm using RPG Maker MZ, pretty sure it's the newest version of it, and I'm having a little problem. I decided my game should have enemies you can physically see in dungeons (because I feel like 100% random encounters are antiquated thinking), so I created events where you can see the enemies walking around in custom routes, essentially working like obstacles you can either avoid or fight. Their speed is at 3 and their frequency 5, meaning they're at a slow but steady pace, and they're on the same priority as the player and are triggered by event touch. I set them to call up one of the random encounters set for the stage when touched (the overworld sprite is a goblin, so I made them all different combinations of goblins with other enemies), and if you win, the event is erased, and if you flee, they set off their Self Switch A, which then auto-triggers the second page of the event, wherein their opacity goes to 100, their priority drops to below the player, and they stay still for 300 frames before they're restored, the Self Switch A is turned off, and they return to their usual movement patterns. Essentially what would happen in, say, Earthbound when you run from an enemy.

Well, I hit a couple of hitches in that. First off, apparently it has to be a random encounter set to a region that they're currently standing in, which means, even if you increase the encounter steps to 999, there's still a CHANCE you could encounter an enemy along that path without touching the one onscreen, albeit one where you'd have to walk a LOT. If you don't select a random encounter from a region they're occupying, then the event just erases itself, as if you won by default. And I'm just wondering if there's any kinda tricks to get around this problem, although it's not too big a deal if there aren't.

The second issue is a bit more serious: Whenever I test the event and flee from the battle, it just starts up again. I think it's because I'm still in direct contact with the event, and that it just doesn't have time to activate Self Switch A...except that SHOULD be instantaneous, right? It's possible that I'm missing something, but I was thinking about it all last night while I was in bed, and I just couldn't think of what it was.

So if anyone can help me figure this out, or just tell me straight up if it's an impossible fix, lemme know. If it's impossible, I do have a couple of other ideas I could go with instead, but I loved this one so much and would hate to scrap it.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any time you're asking for help with something in events or code, you should always post screenshots of what you already have. It's very difficult to give help without seeing that, because something we presume to be true from what you typed could in fact be wrong in the actual event.
First off, apparently it has to be a random encounter set to a region that they're currently standing in, which means...
Why are you referencing random encounters at all? The first two radio buttons in Battle Processing allow for you to choose the troop (which is what I should think you'd want, you run into a goblin on the map and you fight a group of goblins), or using a variable. I don't see why you'd be even looking at the random encounter option.
The second issue is a bit more serious: Whenever I test the event and flee from the battle, it just starts up again.
Here's where we can't help without seeing your event. If you choose the Battle Processing command and check the Can Escape check box, whatever you do in there should happen instantaneously. If it's not, something is wrong with your event.

Jyger85

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My mistake. Here.

RMMZ Problem 01.png
RMMZ Problem 02.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
several mistakes.

first, because you didn't set your first move route to wait for completion, the second move route will overwrite it at once and the wait will never happen, directly switching back to first page

second, as explained above you should NOT use "same as encounter" but "direct designation" if you want to select what troop to fight independently of the encounter table.

Jyger85

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The problem with having it wait for completion is that the player is stuck. My idea was that, when you escape the battle, the enemy on the overworld locks up and can't move, allowing the player enough time to get out of their way before they start moving again. So what I'm wondering is, is there a way to keep the event locked and not the player?

And yeah, it's clear that using same as random encounter was a bad idea. The thought process was that a random encounter is less bad if you can actually see it coming, and at least have some idea as to what you're about to fight, but still have room for the occasional surprise no matter how many times you fight that particular enemy. Buuuut, based on what I've seen from my previous attempts to make it work, it's clearly more of a hassle than it's worth. lol

FrigidGaze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The trigger for its cooldown after you escape should be 'Parallel' and not 'Autorun' if you wish to keep control of your character while the event is processing its events.

Jyger85

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The trigger for its cooldown after you escape should be 'Parallel' and not 'Autorun' if you wish to keep control of your character while the event is processing its events.
Staring me right in the face. lol Thankies. :smile:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've never felt prouder of my little game!! *o*
DamageEvil_2.png added!
index.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PurpleClouds