Not open for further replies.

Garminbozia

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
Hello, I have scoured this forum, other forums and google and have not seen anything about my noob issue. :(

Is there a way to make "Text" respond to a mouse click, or any button click really?

Is there a way to change where a "Message" is located? Figured out. Explained in "Edit"

Can I get rid of the "Message" caret?

I very much like the use of "Text" because I can change where the dialog is located, though the options are limited. But, "Text" is only available without the option of the "Text" going away unless automatically set to a time limit on screen. I have fiddled around with "Text settings" and so on but I cannot figure it out. I have also tried the "Set message area" and that doesn't seem to do anything. For the purpose of a player being able to immerse themselves into the game it is important to be able to control the dialog. The dialog staying on screen until the player/reader clicks the screen, mouse button, enter or whatever button. It is also important for there to not be an animation, the caret, that has nothing to do with the story/scene for immersive purposes.

I am new to this engine and really, any game making engine. I know this probably a simple problem but to me it is important. There are a lot of factors involved in story telling and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Edit - I figured out how to change the location of messages. It's possible I have to many commands but it's working! I have, in order, "Create message area" with area created. Then "Set message target" with NO changes. Then "Set message area" with area different then the create message are location for some reason. Then "Message settings" then "Show message".

Last edited:

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I'm not 100% certain about there being anything to allow the Text to wait on user input, I do know you can modify the Message function to allow you to create a similar text box.

With the Create Message Area, set it to a number and then set the size/location in the next box.
Followed by a Set Message Target being set to the same number you used in Create Message Area.
Next make a Set Message Area with the same size/location as Create Message Area.

If you don't want to change any of the other regular message box settings, you can set this to a common event and call it later without repeating everything.

VNexample1.png
VNexample2.png

With the message Caret, I believe the easiest way is to put a blank message_caret inside your resources folder (As setting it to None doesn't seem to work for me).

The message Caret image would be located in:
\resources\Graphics\Pictures
Of your game's folder.

Or you can use what Kentou provided in this question to hide it if you don't want to edit it out completely.

Last edited:

Garminbozia

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
Thank you so much! One more question though.... :p What do I do with the "@Default[ number...." ? When using a create message area command input a number in the "@Default[ number...." that will be the same in the set message target command?

I actually was JUST going through Kentous reply haha! And am now looking into learning Java. I REALLY appreciate you explaining where to put the code too. I couldn't figure out where to put it haha.
Thank you @I8rose

Edit - Oh dear...I'm rereading your response...Nevermind about my second question. :p

Last edited:

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No worries. =P I know how it is starting something new with no idea on what to do. lol

Yes, you will set the same number in both. Think of it like a specific name for that message box and you're telling VNMaker to only edit that message section. Super helpful if you want to design more than one message box. =]

Garminbozia

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
Yes, I imagine not being able to specify which messages are to be where would get crazy! lol. Thank you again. I really appreciate your help.

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're quite welcome. ^_^
Happy game making!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Besides my Might and Magic inspired project, I have always wanted to make a Fire Emblem-like game. Time is the culprit... Between life, composing music packs, and working on a game can it be done!? The tactical plugins for MV work quite well based on what I have tested.
Yaaay! My second public script is out and approved! A VX Ace Final Fantasy IX styled Throw Script!

I look forward to all the constructive feedback I get but most importantly I hope everyone who ends up using it enjoys!

Yaaaay! Making scripts is fun lol. :D
When you're lost out therrrrre and you're alllll alone, ahwahwah waitin, to carry you hooooommmme, uhhheverywhere you look! (someone hit me with those backing vocals)
X.X cant focus... too many thing want do... help!
Day 2 of teaching MV, student can move cat across the map.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr