Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
swe
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey yall!

Today I want to fix my game menu, and after finding out that its ok that my game does not change scenes (from map to menu, making the pause effect) I wanted to find out how to replace the menu completely.
I have built up a new meny using only a common event.

What would be the proper steps form here, must I search for a plugin to map the esc key to that common event?
Is there any already a solution to this? I do want to avoid plugins as much as possible, if thats possible

When pressing "esc" common evnt 85 starts, pressing "esc" again exit

thank you

Last edited:

jweav8705

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It might be with scripting, but unsure of any plugins.

You could do Yanfly's Button Common Events and make it like "M" or something. You may need Yanfly's Key Mapper too, it depends, I can't remember what situations call for just one or both. Just watch the videos and read the directions to get itnto work properly. The parameters need to adjusted so they'll talk correctly to each other.
You will need the menu scene script call in a common event.

Then make a parallel process disabling the menu and it will kill the escape key, but the menu will still be completely accessable through your common even.

(I would look all of this up for you but I'm work. Google WILL find this stuff for you. If you don't make another post saying you got it, or nobody else provides it, then I'll edit it when I get home and have time.)

If you still have trouble, then we can PM about it.

If I understand you correctly and you're REPLACING the menu completely, you eon't need the menu scene script call. But I'm not 100% sure of that's what you mean here.
I'm legitmately unsure if you can remap the esc key without changing the base .js files. Yanfly's stuff won't let you.

Martin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
swe
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, you're right about that last part. I dont need the original menu at all. I was not thinking about removing it from the gamefiles or anything complex, just to not show it when pushing "esc" but run common event 85 instead. Thanks for your help, can´t wait for a solution, I have been trying allot of alternatives already, including Yanfly's Button Common Events, but I was hoping to change or kinda override what the esc button does. :)

jweav8705

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey this one looks like it might work.
You might need a parallel process common event running on switch (EZPZ) to work but it looks like it gives you the option to modify the esc key.
They only thing is I don't know if you it wouldnt interfere with how the "X" key is mapped too.
Esc and X and numpad 0 are all mapped as "Menu" and "Cancel" and I don't know of this plugin will allow you to modify one without consequently changing the other ones too, then screwong yourself out of an cancel/back button.
I'm going to test this one when I get home because I currently have escape menu disabled and open it with a common event instead (I can't use regular escape because the action battle system I'm using disallows menu while in combat but I can push the menu scene with a common even though).
http://himeworks.com/2016/01/common-event-buttons/

Martin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
swe
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks I tried it out now, it almost works, but the default menu it kinda still in the way, I will try to simply disable menu and then see what happens.

Edit: Yeah, I got my desired effect now. Thanks! I disabled the meny with event command. And now when any "esc" button is pressed my common event starts. Perfect! :)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have been enjoying a game on my iPhone, called Wonderbox. It is just a little game where you create adventures, share them, whilst also being able to play others. It's a bit zelda-esque. I have started some youtube for those, gonna start with RPG maker things soon as well. So if you wish to see, do check it out :)
SF_People3_3 added!
index.php

ScreenShot_1_3_2022_1_32_12.png
I feel QSprite for MV is underrated. I basically am able to use my chibi sideview battlers I drew on the maps and have all the motions available. this'll help a lot with cutscenes.
I've figured out how to reasonably tall-ify chibi sprites on my editor. I like that making tall sprites gives me control on expressing how tall characters seem on the field relative to each other as well as better differentiate adult sprites from child sprites.
doing some wacky experimental stuff in MV right now :kaoluv: I cannot wait to drop what I've been working on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kage2048