[SOLVED] RPG Maker MV for Linux...

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Marianojoey, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marianojoey

Marianojoey Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, sorry I couldn't find any thread specifically for what I'm going to ask (I really suck at web and forum searching), but you can redirect my question to the place I couldn't find and I'll be happy to read the answer there. :)

A while ago, on Steam, there was an announcement stating the RPG Maker MV was now for Linux. I was really happy, but didn't have the money to buy it then, so I said: it's ok, "I'll buy it next time."

But that made me want to have the program to start playing around, getting the feel, learning the ropes... right? And came to the main website and... Linux isn't even mentioned... anywhere.... :o

A couple weeks ago my GF downloaded the trial so I could start using it on her PC (she has W7 installed), and I've been doing great progress (in my tiny little programmer feet...), after watching a couple hours of tutorials and making a lot of notes on a board (like Sheldon...). :p

And yet... the main website doesn't make any mention to Linux as a platform. So here is my question:
    Is it on Linux? How come I can only download a trial for Win and Mac? If I buy it here (or use the sale that's happening on Humble Bundle this week and is within my price reach), would I be able to use it on my Mint 18 PC? Do I need to buy it specifically on Steam in order to use it on my PC?

Anyway, thanks for the answer(s), and please excuse any mistakes I may had, but English isn't my main language. :)

2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello!

There's no Linux trial. To be honest I don't know why. Yes, MV runs on Linux. It's not often mentioned because in Japan Linux isn't a thing so it's not a priority and there aren't as many people here on the forums who use Linux either. It just doesn't come up as much. You'll want to buy from here if you can afford it, the key you get works both here and on Steam, but if you buy from Steam you don't get the standalone version. I think someone mentioned that the current Humble Bundle is only the Steam version. I don't know anything about that particular computer, but I don't see why you couldn't.

3. Marianojoey

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok, thanks for clarifying that. :)

4. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can use the Steam version in Linux. It's what I'm using. In fact, I wrote up a little guide in the Tutorials section for installing Steam, getting MV running, running multiple instances of it and game deployment. Because you're using Mint, Steam will be available in the software catalog (can't remember the name since I haven't used Mint in a while, haha).

Marianojoey likes this.
  5. Marianojoey

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks djDarkX, I'll check your thread later. :)

6. Marianojoey

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    mmmh, well, since this topic is moot, any mod can close the thread.

Thanks for the answers and good will. :)

djDarkX likes this.
  7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    When you want you thread closed, Report your opening post and ask for it to be closed. Mods might not see a post but they will see a Report.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.