[SOLVED]RPG Maker MV proofreading Tool

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by cedr777, Feb 20, 2019.

1. cedr777

cedr777 Lead developer of "Charao Life" Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looking for a tool that can be used to proofread WIP RPGMV games.
    I'm going to be using it mostly to proofread an ongoing project of ours.

Something similar to this, which can edit individual map.json files and show a nice interface of which only the text in message boxes could be edited (thus preventing altering of anything else besides the dialogues).

Unfortunately, it is bugged right now as you cannot download your edited output file.

Can anyone give recommendations?

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Useful Development Tools. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes. The human testplayer.

cedr777 likes this.
  4. cedr777

cedr777 Lead developer of "Charao Life" Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    EDIT: While thinking about it, I found a simple way on how to do it without the use of plugins.

First, you'll need a plugin that can take screenshots that can include the mapID of the event in its output filename. (for the developer to easily find the map where the typo is)

I recommend Triacontane's plugin (MakeScreenCapture.js) to do this. (as of writing this I am still trying to find out if it can include the mapID in the filename)

Each time your human beta tester encounters a typo, he/she will just simply press F6 and the game will output a png file that shows the dialogue where the typo occurs.

He/She then sends the screenshots to the DEV. (hopefully with a text file attached that possibly includes grammatical corrections also.)

using the compiled screenshots, the dev can then search and destroy these typos. hopefully they will be easy to locate since the map ID is included with the filename of the pngs.

This method can even be used for bug reporting, when your game is out for the public.
    It's a simple method that doesn't require your testers to edit json files thus the likelihood of breaking something due to copy/paste mistakes is lessened.

In a way, OmnislashiXX was right.

Edit: Here is an add-on plugin for Triacontane's MakeScreenCapture.js plugin made by Magnus0808 that adds the mapID & mapName in the output PNG/JPEG files.

I made a request in the JS Plugin requests thread and he was kind enough to help me out.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019