Emanzi

Ekamu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Hi, I’ve noticed whenever I try and play my favorite rpg maker xp games like nocturne or the aveyond series, the sound just keeps cracking and sounds extremely distorted. This is for almost every rpg maker xp game, for some reason it doesn’t seem to affect the editor or playing music in the editor but if you export the game as an exe the same problem occurs.

Is there a solution to this issue? I miss a lot of those games and just recently bought the entire aveyond series on humble (I’ve been wanting to get since like 2007).

I’m running Windows 10, 64 bit OS. Sound card is RealTek. My laptop is a Lenovo thinkpad.
I never got this issue on my old acer but that’s another complaint.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it might be a damaged sound driver or a damaged sound codec.
Have you tried to update your sound drivers, and/or installed one of the free codec packs with better codecs?

Emanzi

Ekamu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I’ve updated, same deal. What are the free better codec packs? Any you recommend?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
codec is short for coding-decoding and is how the mathematical formula/code-packs for compressing data (in this case audio data) are called. When using a better audioprogram you can specify which codecs are used for compressing - h.264 for example is the name of one family of codecs that use similar formulas.

and if those formulae are damaged, the decompression is distorted or fails completely.

But I don't have any current links to any download, it has been too long since I last needed them myself.

Emanzi

Ekamu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Thanks ill research on google. Since it’s RMXP shouldn’t I actually be downgrading instead of updating the audio drivers? Not sure but maybe I should try both. I actually don’t care for the latest updates as I mostly play much older games. It’s what works with my current specs. Besides I mostly enjoy RM games nothing really cutting edge or 3d.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you only need to downgrade if a codec requires more processing power than your computer has - and even then downgrading often doesn't help.

You can compare codecs to different languages. The person who creates the audiofile determines which language to use. And then you have to have the same language pack installed to be able to play the audio.
But additional audios are like additional translation books in your library - they are ignored until they are needed.

That is why I mentioned damaged audio codecs as a possible cause for this - installing additional codecs won't help, but there is a high chance that a codec pack contains a newer version of the codec used by the original audio developer and repair it by installing the new version.

But if that doesn't help - both suggestions were just that - possible causes for you to check. I don't know every possible cause especially as I never really used RMXP

Emanzi

Ekamu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Star citizen just announced they will develop a roadmap for their planned roadmap...
And i thought i needed order on my project... :kaoswt2:
Big City Greens had it right:
"Always back up your brain game, that's what I like to say!"
I think I've created a monster.
...and I love it. <3
Today represents my one year anniversary of throwing out the tile map. :LZSexcite: One year ago my game looked like...

And now for those that don't know, it looks like..

What a year, what a year indeed. RIP Tile Map, nobody misses you. :LZSwink:
There is now a demo released for [Beyond the Mirror]! Check the team recruitment thread to learn more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nobodyreally