ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your phone number conditionals are wrong. You're asking if they're equal to the variable named after that phone number.

You previously set all of those variables equal to 1. So you're asking "is the phone number that the player just typed in 1?"

You want to do Conditional Branch -> Phone Number -> Constant -> 55517799
(or whatever the number is for that section)

That is asking "is the number the player just typed in 55517799?" It should have nothing to do with any other variables.

When you're having a problem and trying to troubleshoot it, instead of changing anything (and definitely instead of changing multiple things), first read through it and say to yourself in English what is happening on each line.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wow, this is becoming quite convoluted, isn't it? The event will work just as I have instructed, so I am not going to comment on anyone else's alternative methods that they've suggested.

I have been told before that two Variables should never be the same but I forgot about it.

I think you were either misinformed or misunderstood. There is no reason why two variables can't have the same number. The advice may have been that you should not use the same variable for two different things, which is true in most cases (but not all).

Looking at your post #19 ...

EVENT A
The condition on page 1 is wrong. Setting self switch A as a condition means this event will never ever run. Remove that condition.
After the Control Variables command, add a Control Self Switch command to turn on self switch A.
The trigger on page 2 is wrong. Setting self switch A as the condition is the only thing you should have done on page 2.

EVENT B (common event)
I assume your Input Number uses variable 101? This is correct.
The first conditional branch is wrong. You are not comparing variable 101 with variable 102. You are comparing variable 101 with the constant (number) 55517799. So edit that command and select constant rather than variable, and enter the actual phone number you want them to dial as the number.
The second conditional branch is correct.
It looks like the structure of the remaining commands is correct, though you didn't include the "wrong number" processing right at the bottom of that event, so if you still have problems after this, just included that bottom bit in a screenshot as well..

EVENT C (phone)
This event is correct.

Make those changes, and it should all work for you.

Also, I love the detailed screenshots you provided in that post. It really made it clear how you'd set up your events and removed some of the confusion caused by the way the editor displays the event commands.

Last edited:

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wow, this is becoming quite convoluted, isn't it? The event will work just as I have instructed, so I am not going to comment on anyone else's alternative methods that they've suggested.

I think you were either misinformed or misunderstood. There is no reason why two variables can't have the same number. The advice may have been that you should not use the same variable for two different things, which is true in most cases (but not all).

Looking at your post #19 ...

EVENT A
The condition on page 1 is wrong. Setting self switch A as a condition means this event will never ever run. Remove that condition.
After the Control Variables command, add a Control Self Switch command to turn on self switch A.
The trigger on page 2 is wrong. Setting self switch A as the condition is the only thing you should have done on page 2.

EVENT B (common event)
I assume your Input Number uses variable 101? This is correct.
The first conditional branch is wrong. You are not comparing variable 101 with variable 102. You are comparing variable 101 with the constant (number) 55517799. So edit that command and select constant rather than variable, and enter the actual phone number you want them to dial as the number.
The second conditional branch is correct.
It looks like the structure of the remaining commands is correct, though you didn't include the "wrong number" processing right at the bottom of that event, so if you still have problems after this, just included that bottom bit in a screenshot as well..

EVENT C (phone)
This event is correct.

Make those changes, and it should all work for you.

Also, I love the detailed screenshots you provided in that post. It really made it clear how you'd set up your events and removed some of the confusion caused by the way the editor displays the event commands.

Shaz, your existence is a miracle! It worked!
Dialing the first phone number on the list (55517799) worked like a charm!​
The positive:

• Hitting the "Action" button on the Computer event beside the Phone, nothing happens, because the correct phone number has not been dialed yet < good.

• After dialing a correct number (555-1 77 99), the "Correct Number" SE is played.

• The wait command made the timing perfect until the text message pops up according to the phone's "pick-up" sound effect in the "Correct Number" SE.

• Hitting the "Action" button on the Computer beside the Phone shows a text message; the Event was successfully activated after dialing the correct phone number.

• Re-dialing the same number will Jump to Label; "Bad Number" and plays the "Not in Service" SE, and impossible to get back to the correct number no matter how many attempts are made by the player. This is a one-time event, which is exactly how I wanted it.

• Dialing a non-existent number will Jump to Label; "Wrong Number" and the "Wrong number" SE played.

The negative:
But there's one new issue that I couldn't figure out how to fix it.​
The issue is, when I dial the second phone number (555-3 35 51), it skips to the "Wrong Number" SE.
It's as if the second number is non-existent, but still, it successfully activates another event just like the first number does.

The second phone number (55533551) is not working properly.
It skips/Jumps to Label "Wrong Number", and always does so. Not as many in-game changes occur just like the first phone number does, except that each of both numbers still activates the unique text messages on the Computer Event, screenshot C).

But when I placed the second number on top and the first number on the bottom, then the second number worked well and the first number began to have the same issues.
So, I believe there's something wrong with the Common Event "Phone Calls", screenshot B ).

I tried to add each phone number as separate Common Events commands in the Phone Event, but that only caused more issues when attempting to make a Phone Call.

(In the screenshot B ) Common Event; "Phone Calls", all commands in both Row 1 and 2 are in the same Event from top to bottom.)
Here are the screenshots:​
A) Phone Variables Parallel.png
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B) Common Event, Phone Calls.png
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C) Computer Message, Phone No. Activation.png
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You have four places where you say to Jump to Label...but those labels don't exist. And immediately after the jump command you have the code that I presume is what's supposed to happen.

So you should get rid of those jump commands. I don't think that would be causing your error, but I don't see anything wrong in the conditionals so it's possible.

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You have four places where you say to Jump to Label...but those labels don't exist. And immediately after the jump command you have the code that I presume is what's supposed to happen.

So you should get rid of those jump commands. I don't think that would be causing your error, but I don't see anything wrong in the conditionals so it's possible.

Just removed all the Labels, nothing happened.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Add a Show Text command immediately inside your Phone Number = 55533551 conditional (before the next one that checks the 55533551 variable). Inside it put:
Code:
Phone number is \V[101]
55533551 is \V[103]
Just confirm the numbers in the brackets are the correct IDs for those variables.

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Add a Show Text command immediately inside your Phone Number = 55533551 conditional (before the next one that checks the 55533551 variable). Inside it put:
Code:
Phone number is \V[101]
55533551 is \V[103]
Just confirm the numbers in the brackets are the correct IDs for those variables.
Like this?​
(Yes, the numbers are matched with the IDs.)​

1.png

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...what does it say in the game?

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...what does it say in the game?

Nothing happened when dialing the second phone number (55533551).
The issue with the second phone number still remains as it acts like a "Wrong Number" even though it's not.

So, I made a copy of the text command, placed it in the conditional of the first phone number (55517799) instead, matched it with the variable ID of the first phone number, and gave me this after dialing:

(After the third attempt with the same number, still get the #2.)
2.png

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You got that when dialing 55533551?

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You got that when dialing 55533551?

No, no. It's 55517799.​
555-1 77 99 is the first number.​
555-3 35 51 is the second number.​

• Image 1 • (555-1 77 99)
    The first number works as always, even after the text message code that you provided (as demonstrated in the two screenshots in my previous post).

• Image 2 • (555-3 35 51)
    The second number still has its issues when dialing it, and it doesn't show the text message code as done with the first number. It doesn't work, that's why I have no screenshots to show it to you.

1.png

1 (1).png

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry, this was an errant posting.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, no. It's 55517799.​
Oh boy.

Okay...we don't care about any values inside of that. It already works correctly, so why spend time troubleshooting something that doesn't have trouble? What information does that possibly give, aside from "it works," which we already knew?
The second number still has its issues when dialing it, and it doesn't show the text message code as done with the first number. It doesn't work, that's why I have no screenshots to show it to you.
Right, so follow the logical process here. If you're asking "does the phone number I just entered equal 55533551?" and the game is saying "no," then that tells us a great deal, doesn't it? What we need to find out is what the game thinks the phone number you just entered actually is.

So take that test message out of the first conditional where it doesn't do any good, and put it immediately after your Input Number command. Then test by entering the phone number that isn't working correctly.

Just for poops and laughs - you corrected that second conditional from the first mistake you had, right? It isn't comparing the variable Phone Number to the variable 55533551, right? It's comparing it to a constant?

Mushi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It looks like your code does something like this:
> if (first number) > do stuff : else > wrong number > if (second number)

Sooo, it checks if it's the first number, and if it's not it does the else (wrong number) and never gets to check if it's the second one. You could move the wrong number stuff from the else statements and into a variable check if it's not either of those numbers. Sorry I hope it makes sense!

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, this was an errant posting.

I apologize. I'm just under a lot of pressure and wasn't in the mood.

Last edited:

AssumedPseudonym

Lawful Neutral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 …I’m pretty sure Lady_JJ meant their post was errant, not yours. There’s no way for a user to delete a post, and an apology and a quick explanation is generally better than just leaving a blank post.

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 …I’m pretty sure Lady_JJ meant their post was errant, not yours. There’s no way for a user to delete a post, and an apology and a quick explanation is generally better than just leaving a blank post.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

I apologize. I'm just under a lot of pressure and wasn't in the mood.
Sorry. I did mean that my posting was an error not yours. I was reading your code and hit reply by mistake. Truly I didn't mean to be offensive, especially when I made the mistake, not you. The forum doesn't allow users to delete their post, so I just wanted to apologize for my mistake. I do wish you well with your project, and, again, I apologize.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Again, I am not reading the replies.

You have reverted your common event and added back some bad code that you originally took out.

There should be nothing in the Else branches except Jump to Label. The "wrong number" processing should be right at the end of the common event, underneath the Wrong Number label.

Please look carefully at my first example again, and compare with yours.

Mercedes90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh boy.

Okay...we don't care about any values inside of that. It already works correctly, so why spend time troubleshooting something that doesn't have trouble? What information does that possibly give, aside from "it works," which we already knew?

Right, so follow the logical process here. If you're asking "does the phone number I just entered equal 55533551?" and the game is saying "no," then that tells us a great deal, doesn't it? What we need to find out is what the game thinks the phone number you just entered actually is.

So take that test message out of the first conditional where it doesn't do any good, and put it immediately after your Input Number command. Then test by entering the phone number that isn't working correctly.

Just for poops and laughs - you corrected that second conditional from the first mistake you had, right? It isn't comparing the variable Phone Number to the variable 55533551, right? It's comparing it to a constant?

Didn't you tell me to remove the Jump commands, Turan?

Anyhow, I've added the text command right after the "Input Number" command.
Here's the test message after dialing the second phone number (55533551)

555-3 35 51 troubleshoot.png
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's what I would like to know. I corrected the first mistake with the first phone number and did exactly the same to correct the second one, which created a bug. And that is what I'm trying to figure out how to fix it.
Here's Conditionals of the second number (55533551)
Conditionals.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

When can we get this?
RPG Maker MZ Saturn.png
Saturn port when?
I'm new to rpgmaker mv, link me some good stuff to learn.
Finally, I have graduated from college and now I can put a lot more work into my game, after having not worked on it for the better part of a year.
post so i can change my profile picture ^^
Creating Some art for a fighter game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peady