S.E.L.E.C.T.

Holographic Philosopher
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have noticed and I believe other developers have noticed that creating new Items can become a mess since one cant sort them unless they make all of a certain type first and then make a blank item titled '-------------------' to divide the types. Is their a plugin or a method that can be used to make lives easier when trying to be organized and easily add an item to that type without having to 'cut' and 'paste' all the items into new slots? I mean like have organization of the types of items/weapons like one would have with the plugins. Plugins are easy to spot when you have them sorted out in an order: (Generation, Cores, etc) So I attempt the same but with items.

S.E.L.E.C.T.

Holographic Philosopher
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Disappointing, thanks anyways! ;_;

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An easier way of managing it without having to copy and paste stuff all the time is just to plan it all out ahead of time. How many healing items, how many weapons of each type, how many armors of each type.

Personally, I planned for 6 skills for each character, so I set aside enough slots for those skills. I had 22 weapon types planned, so divided evenly (after subtracting 22) and got an even 99 weapons of each type (99 possible slots, not all will likely be used). I did the same with my armors (only had 7 armor types), so after division, there are 186 slots for each armor type. With standard items, I just picked what I knew I'd need (an item to cure each status ailment, and 5 different types of HP healing items, 5 MP healing items, 5 Elixir style items of varying degrees of effectiveness, then an alternate set of those... etcetera). After that, I just put it all into the proper locations as they were created. After the necessary items, I just created a slot for "Other Items" and everything falls under that at the end.

It requires a bit of forethought, which is daunting to newbies to the program, but it is a useful skill to learn if you plan on using the program extensively.

Maybe someday we'll have an "auto-sort" for the next RPG Maker program. That'd be kind of cool. But, for now, measure twice, cut once.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd actually recommend a slightly different approach myself. Figure out how many slots you think you will need, then double that. Allocate that many slots for it. So if you think you need 15 potions, allocate 30. This will make it easier for you to insert in new potions if you learn later that you need 16 potions instead.

And don't feel bad using placeholders for quite a while until you get to a certain point of my game. Back in 2014, I had no idea what would be good skills for Chapter 9 of my game. I could make reasonable guesses, but that all it was. So to counter some of this I had a few skills that had *placeholder skill, do not use* in the skill description. Then, when I got to that point of the game, I actually implemented them for real.

S.E.L.E.C.T.

Holographic Philosopher
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These help atleast a bit. I asked because I mean Im a fanatic when it comes to a somewhat exaggeration amount of items so to be honest for what I am looking at I might easily hit +200 potions but not as in types but instead volumes. If I were to speak of types then it might be around 8-10ish so imagine skimming through a mess of unsorted items and comparing them... I see disaster. What Ill do is work each and every one of the types of items in order so if I want to remove something, I believe a blank space would do no harm?

Yes I know that +200 sounds like a massive number....

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Well, I've decided I'll take a break on making Forgotten Eclipse...and Make a mod for FNF
Trailer for my new game.
last one for a while
MythicRuss wrote on gothicvoid's profile.
hi, i was looking thru ur awesome stuff, and was looking around the internet, how in the heckin heck do i get the hiddendoors to open? im addng them to the doors event but they just appear as solid walls, btw am total noob lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KiboQuinn