[SOLVED]What is the acceptable sprite size(limit?) for RMMZ?

KenSoulslayer

Graphic Designer/JS Dev
Reaction score
First Language
Hindi
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So the default sprites in RMMZ are 48x48 and then there are the ones like "Tall sprites" by Tonbi
These are still 48 pixel wide but 72 pixels tall, and allow us to show much more detail in the sprites in the map, while I have even scene taller characters in some RM games.

So what exactly is the supported sizes for these sprites? Can have have them however long I want in theory? What is the rule of thumb for these dimensions? Is there any special way to include these or do I simply add select the tall ones? Won't the database crop the bottom part if I used a longer sprite sheet?

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can have the sprites any size that you want, but the event interaction will still be the 48 by 48 size, which causes limitations. When you add a larger character as an event, it will show as a single tile in the editor, but will display fine in the game or test. Note the included files from MZ. You need to make the sheet the traditional 12 by 8 sprites and in the same format or include the $ sign though.

Attachments

• Actor1.png
    Actor1.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 6
  • $BigMonster1.png
    $BigMonster1.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 7

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can also make oversize Imgs , where the feet are not at the bottom, that requires to adjust the anker
(shaz made a good anker plugin..)
more info about Oversize imgs -> here

also i attached an example Img where i wanted to add magic effects when using magic skills on mapBattles

Attachments

• $MagicUser.png
    $MagicUser.png
    209 KB · Views: 6

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
aside from the collision box limit (and there are ways to change that), there are very few limits on sprites in the engine.

the sprite needs to fit on the screen and on the map of course, but both can be made pretty big.

However pixi.js has a limit on the picture it can load - if I remember correctly that is 4096x4096, and your entire spritesheet needs to fit into that limit. In the case of a 3x4 cell single sprite, that means the maximum height for a sprite is 1024 pixel. for a spritesheet of 12x8 pixel, that would give a maximum of 341x512 pixel.
The pixi limit can be changed by editing its files, but that will have other consequences as well...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Does anyone know of NPC sprites for RMMZ? I know of Flirion's RMMV recolours, but RMMZ's sprites are slimmer and more detailed, so I'm a bit on the edge to use Flirion's im RMMZ...
I can't believe that after all those years, KH Union X Dark Road is closing the services.

Due to a situation in which I thought plugin adaptations had stopped for the QPlugins, I "ghetto" converted these 7 over yesterday. They appear to work perfectly as long as you use old style plugin commands. I am uncertain if I will have a lot of free time in the future to work on this, but if you'd like them, here they are.
Was there a thread that you could share a screenshot of your game? I feel like I found it once but can't locate it again.

I was being lazy and just copied a map to test a new parallax, but I forgot to delete all the events. This was the result. :o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FeatherStone