kn1000a

Golden Vampire Flandre
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello, I am very new to making visual novels in general. I heard about the newly-released VNM and want to try something with it, but I was wondering if the kind of routing format I have in mind is possible or not, before I start buying the engine and writing the script for the game:

vnmA.png

I'll elaborate: This is a rough plan of what my route format will be like. I want it to make sure a user go with one ending of the game first before hitting the true ending. If they pick the choice that leads to the true ending, then a bad end should make them restart the game, go with the other ending, then go and pick the choice to the true ending again.

Example: Person A, after seeing the question, picks Yes as an answer, it would
>check if a certain trigger is on. This trigger can only be switched on if the player finish first ending.
>since ending 1 was never reached, the trigger is not on
>thus they reach a bad end, and is returned to the main menu where they can play to that question and pick the No answer.

Example: Person B, after seeing the question, picks No as an answer, it would
>leads the player to ending 1, where the trigger is switched on.
>returns the player to the main menu where they can restart and now pick Yes
>since the trigger is on, the game will let the player access the third and final ending of the game.

**Also a side-note: Maybe an option from the engine where you can reset the switch or keep it by asking the player "Do you want to reset the game data?" and choices Yes and No. This is to make the bad choice available for players who haven't play that ending before but already finished the game, like person B.

All I want to ask is a) if this is achievable in VNM, and b) where can I read about this? I don't need anyone to specifically tell me what to do (but if you do, that would be nice too), linking a help article to this topic is good enough since I've been looking around and not sure if I can do this without coding or using some advanced stuff in the engine.

Thank you for any assistance~

kn1000a

Golden Vampire Flandre
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for the reply! It is kinda, and kinda not at the same time :/

One of the more essential component of the flowchart I linked is the trigger that is basically a switch that activates if the user finish a route. I know there’s plenty of VNs that used that, so that the player can unlock a special route.

Imagine two routes, Route A and Route B. The game will only show you a true ending if you play A, and then B. It will however, show you a bad end if you played B first.

So just like the help link you linked, except in one of those ending demonstrated I want it to has a trigger that turns on at the end of a normal ending, basically “the player has finish this ending”. The player will then be returned to the main menu. The other ending, which initially was a bad end if played first, will now reveal the true end inside it in place of the bad end.

EDIT: I can also show a C++ pseudo-code (sorry I only know this language :kaoback:) of that flowchart too.
unknown.png

Last edited:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi @kn1000a, in the next topic it also talks about conditional choices too. You can use a persistent variable/switch for that if you wish it to reflect on new playthroughs :kaohi:

kn1000a

Golden Vampire Flandre
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi @kn1000a, in the next topic it also talks about conditional choices too. You can use a persistent variable/switch for that if you wish it to reflect on new playthroughs :kaohi:

...Damn I didn't even see such an obvious article right after that one. My bad!
Thanks for the tips! Time to dig the help guide and see how I can work with conditions and all those~

Latest Profile Posts

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!
Disk Check Plugin - Running on Linux:
RMMV-Game-Mint.png
workin on some graphics for my game. was originally planning on doing a cartoony style for the town but I might stick with this instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julienrg