Soma Spirits

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Mettool, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Mettool

Mettool Weenie Hut Jr. Veteran

First Language:
    English

smalltitle.png

"Soma, a land torn to the brink of death with strife and distrust, filled with denizens who refuse to accept one another. Two great beings wage war for generations to decide the fate of the world: to save or to destroy it. With their powers exhausted from battle, they come to a pact: divide the world into two, each with a guardian spirit to watch over them...'

featuresgiflarge.gif

Soma Spirits is a 3-5 hour RPG with branching story paths. Rather than being fast-tracked and locked into paths from the start, you are given choices throughout the story on how you wish to proceed, and the choices made will have a significant impact on the story's outcome. However, you may find that the choices made in Soma Spirits are not so black and white. Every major choice made will have some impact on the story, and there are rarely any "correct" solutions. 

The world of Soma Spirits is divided into two similar, but distinct versions of one another. At certain locations, you will be able to switch between the two worlds and find different inhabitants, monsters, and clues on how to proceed forward. 

Soma Spirits features five distinct endings, and the choices you make will ultimately decide how the story will come to its conclusion. What will YOU do?

The game features: 

- Classic turn-based RPG combat.

- Shifting combat roles. Depending on where Heart and Soul are, their ability pools change and they will have access to different sets of spells.

- Powerful "Spirit" abilities. As you continue to fight, you can accrue SP to unleash powerful moves that can turn the tide of battle.
    - 100% Hand-crafted custom pixel art visuals. 
    - Some stellar menus and UI thanks to the powerful Luna Engine 
    - Dynamic Music: As players transition between the two versions of the world, so will the music! 
    - Flexible story paths: You may find various opportunities to change the story's outcome. 

- A fully original OST by SpecialAgentApe

charactersgifsmall.gif

Heart_battler.png

Heart is the Spirit of Joy, charged with the task of protecting the inhabitants of the World of Joy. Heart is an optimist, living each and every day to its absolute fullest. He wants to wake up and end every day with a smile and makes it his life's mission to make sure everyone does the same. 

Soul_battler.png

Soul is the Spirit of Sorrow, who protects the people in the World of Sorrow. While some may be quick to write him off as a pessimist and negative, Soul makes it his mission to keep everyone's eyes open and aware of how the world works. He is not one for escapism, and urges people to tread through life cautiously, but still to the best of their ability. 

screenshotsgiflarge.gif

screen1.png

CanWeJustVisitTheGiftShopInstead.png

screen2.png

Carrotpalooza.png

Credits

Lead Developer: SgtMettool Composer: SpecialAgentApe Playtesters: Skyrunner14, The_acz Scripts Used Text Cache -Mithran Custom Resolution -Gump FullScreen++ 2.2 - Zeus81 TP Manager, Move Restrict, State Animations - Yami Equip Slots, Follower Touch - Himeworks Text Sound -Zerbu Auto-Dash - Mr. Trivel Luna Engine - Degica 

2. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just from the screenshots, the visual style, emphasis on choice, and the sense of humor expressed somewhat reminds me of Undertale.  The two worlds mechanic reminds me of another classic, a Link to the Past.  While I would be interested in giving it a try, I probably cannot, because it is a VX game, and with rare exceptions (e.g. some on Steam, like like Last Dream), few are ported to the MacOSX..  

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2016
  3. ptimiya

ptimiya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

I also immediately thought of Undertale. Would love to give it a try sometime soon.

4. Golden Unicorn Gaming

Golden Unicorn Gaming Savior of Astoria Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I love the 8 bit style.  Looks so well done!

5. bandkanon

bandkanon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've played up to an hour and a half now and I gotta say, I'm really loving this! These are some really tough decisions, too... I'm building up on alternating save slots already.

6. Faryn

Faryn Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I feel sorry for you that people are comparing something you've put actual creativity, effort, and talent into to Undertale. Looks great and sounds interesting.

7. Mirpono

Mirpono But what do I know? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just started playing this game (after having it for about a week...) and im in love with it.

The two worlds being a mechanic in the battles/items/story, the pixel art, and the custom menu's/animations, and everything else is amazing.

This really is a game that had a lot of effort put into it.

8. Mettool

First Language:
    English
    I'm glad to hear that you're all enjoying it! Hope you all make some great choices throughout the journey!

9. Mayuen

Mayuen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Really nice game!

10. SinSilver

SinSilver Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just downloaded  and will play through it sometime tonight. 

11. Jogabba

Jogabba Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Looks interesting and beautiful! I'll give it a try!

12. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am in the middle of playing your game and I just wanted to tell you that I love the graphics.  I, also, love the sound and music and the characters, even the complex nature of the story that the two characters find themselves in and how there are no simple answers.  I would suggest this to anyone.

13. Yoraee

Yoraee Veteran Veteran

I have to say I am loving this game so far! The art, the music, the mechanics, the story.. Its a complete package for me! I got past the second boss fight (don't wanna spoil) and I'm already invested in these characters and don't want to put the game down until I see a conclusion (or conclusions?) to their stories.

A job amazingly well done! Hats off to you! (also more people should play this, seriously!!)

14. Mettool

First Language:
    English
    Hey everyone! Thank you all so much for your kind words and compliments!

I wanted to let you all know that I've unencrypted the game files; something I've been meaning to do for a while now since I never really had a reason to keep it locked anyway. So now you can download a version of the game viewable in the editor for learning purposes, and perhaps to get some ideas of how to do branching paths and cutscenes in your own games!

It's on the same download link as before. Enjoy!

JRibbons, Yoraee and Marquise* like this.
  15. Teal Dragona

Teal Dragona Greenhorn/Gym Leader Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This was one of the best games I have ever played in a long time.

This game even equals my standards of undertale, and that's no lie.

8-bit styles are my most favorite style, and the gameplay is just a masterpiece!

Also the endings, making choices was difficult for me, but they turned out for the better!  :D

Last thing, I encourage you to create more imaginative games just like this!

Happy RPG Making Mettool!  ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2016
  16. Wonderfull Darkness

Wonderfull Darkness Endless Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    May I ask you Mettool

How many endings are there in this game?

I want to know if I got them all or not.

SOMA SPIRITS.png

Marquise* likes this.
  17. Mettool

First Language:
    English
    That's all of them! I don't think I've seen anyone get them all yet, so you may be the first!

18. Wonderfull Darkness

Wonderfull Darkness Endless Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah! My 5 hour dedication worked!