Some (Fairly Minor) Technical Issues With MV (I really hope this is the right forum)

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, MV is still overwhelmingly working which--thank God for that, seriously. Even if I'm just deluding myself with the idea that this game is going to be my meal ticket, well, I still prefer being able to delude myself, so it's at least

But MV is doing two annoying things.

The less annoying of the two things is that occasionally, it will just start refusing to play sounds/music until I restart it. It seems to only happen around once for every five or so hours of game development work, so it's manageable, but it happens pretty reliable every day I spend any significant time in the editor.

The more annoying thing is that sometimes the tiles shown on the map editor are not the ones that appear on the map when test playing. This usually occurs in cases where there are multiple "B"-layers on top of each other (incidentally, the ability to put objects in front of other objects without ALWAYS needing to resort to making an event is like my favorite thing about MV). Like, the editor will plainly show me a snowy roof angled in front of a snowy tree, but then when I actually test play, there's a red roof B-Tile there instead. This is fixable usually by "clearing" that tile all the way down to a blank a-level and then building it back up again from scratch.

I have many a plugin installed, but I'm fairly confident that I don't have anything installed or active that would either effect in-editor audio playback (in-client audio playback has been fine thus far) or replace map tiles like that.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) The audio playback problem might be depending on the filenames or filepath.
By itself,RMMV creates HTML5-based games. That absolutely requires that all files and all filepath follow networking rules, or files (like audiofiles) cannot be loaded at all.

However, Windows has an override that forces any browser to access files even if they don't follow networking rules. The problem is that this override doesn't always work correctly.
And the editor itself tries to use HTML5-access whereever possible to make sure that the game engine can handle all data.

So if the same audiofiles sometimes work and sometimes not, you either have a problem with your drivers (can't do anything about that) or this access problem.
Check your file- and folderpaths.
Networking rules means latin letters and arabic numbers and very few special signs like $!_. Spaces for example are absolutely forbidden (which is why they are replaced with %20 in error messages, the browser can't handle them even there.

2) the changing tile sequence has nothing to do with plugins, it is part of the way the star overrides works.
Star passability means "place this tile above everything else and check the lower tile for passability".
Unfortunately this override is handled by the engine, it cannot be detected by the editor.
The editor displays tiles based on the order they are placed. The first B-E-tiles goes into the middle layer, the second one into the top layer.
Place a star tile in the middle layer and a regular tile in the top layer (or place two star tiles out of sequence) and the engine itself will reverse their order, exactly because that star tells it to display it above no matter in which order the human developer placed it.
you can only try to keep this in mind by checking your tileset configuration and remembering which tiles are set to star.

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*
If I recorded while I created (what I think is) a small plugin, would you be interested enough in the process to watch it?
I keep trying to explain to clients that the huddle masses behind the old K-Mart are a Fallout Reenactment group. Somehow I don't think they believe me. :LZSskeptic:
Hey people! What do you think about a core plugin? This will save some lines of code that I repeatedly use in all my plugins...
Wondering if I should make my enemies scale in my non-linear rpg. I'm leaning towards yes, but I don't want to use Yanfly's plugin...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foghiszdenisz