Some help please?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX' started by aaaaaa, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    I'm trying to put an image in the center of my game, but every time I try (it is set to center, 0,0 as coordinates) it ends up like this. Upper left 0,0 and upper left 273,208 don't work either. I'm stuck on what coordinates will fit, as the picture was spaced to fit perfectly? If I mess around with coordinates it is either in the position below, or in the exact same position in the upper left. Nothing seems to be working.

why.PNG

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    where did you get your engine, and how long ago did you download & install it?  Is it VX or VX Ace?  (neither of those are VNMaker, where you posted - that's a totally different engine)

I don't recall any issues with pictures, but there might be.  Can you please show a screenshot of the event with the whole event window visible?

Does your image have any whitespace around the black part?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2016
  3. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That looks like VX, @Shaz. And it could be the way they formatted it in their software. They may have put it in a strange position in their image editing software, thus explaining why this is not working. It could also be a script that's messing around with picture coordinates. Best thing would be to show us your event page, and tell us what scripts you're using. Also, make sure that your canvas is the size of the game screen, and that the image is in the center.  

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This thread needs to be moved (by definition it cannot be VNMaker which isn't even released yet) so I am using the information under your avatar, which says VX.  If in fact it is VX Ace, please report this post and ask for it to be moved to the correct forum.

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker VX. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @HexMozart88 it looks like the map is 100x100 and the screen is the default size, so shouldn't be any issues there.

OP - is that the Tankentai demo you're using?  What happens if you try it in a brand new project rather than using a demo, which might have some additional scripts that are causing troubles?

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As for the problem the OP is having - most probably it is based on the fact that the selection of the origin as center or upper left changes the reference point for both frame and picture, but he used the change on only one point in the coordinates.

If you set the reference to center, you need to give the center point of the picture as well to have it centered - the screenshot above shows what will happen if you set the reference to center but give the 0,0 as the picture reference point.

I don't know how big the picture is - if it were for example 400x220 pixel and you want to center it, then you would have to set the center as a reference point and give 200,110 as the coordinate for display iirc

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The coordinates you calculate are the screen position.  The 'center' and 'upper left' refer to the center or top left corner of the picture being the origin.

So it would be either upper left and 0, 0, or center and 272, 208 for the default screen size.

Going through the options the OP has already tried, and assuming the image is 544x416 and exactly equal to the size of the screen:

Upper Left and 0, 0 should look correct

Upper Left and 273, 208 would look exactly as it does in the screenshot (though it should be 272, not 273).  The top left corner of the picture would be in the middle of the screen.

Center and 0, 0 would also look wrong, putting the middle of the picture in the top left corner of the screen - basically the opposite of the screenshot - the lower right corner of the picture would be in the middle of the screen.

I'm just waiting on a screenshot so we can see where/how the settings were entered, and answers to my other questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2016