OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For those who like to create Monster Battlers, I'm going to put you to the task. Simply put- I want some original Fantasy type Monsters.

What do I mean by original?! I mean no crazy, far out there, what the heck is that type of monster. Tyler Warren makes great stuff for instance- He just doesn't make original stuff! So I'll give a list of things that could be considered original.

Ants. Specifically Giant Ants. They're red or black and look like Ants.
Spiders! Giant Spiders. They can come in varieties and have slender or hairy legs.
Dwarves. Yes, there is actually no representation of dwarves. Make them have horned helmets and carry kegs of ale.
Elves. I mean, a dark elf would actually be great to own. But the light-skinned ones would be great too. Male and female version.
Dragons! It would be great to have more Dragons.
Goblins. I had to buy FES pack to actually find a decent Goblin, though I'm sure they could be created.
Troll. Where are these guys?!

I'm sure using imagination, you guys could come up with more.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
It might be helpful if you mentioned what style you're looking for.

OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm. Regular style, I suppose? Lol. RTP style.

Actually, I did find a Dwarf in the FES pack.

Last edited:

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I do agree that RPG Maker FES (and its resource pack) has some amazing battlers that cover your typical fantasy stock, as well as possessing some rarely seen in RPG Maker's default assets. That said, I feel Tyler Warren has some good "original" critters that you rarely see in RM at all -- his angry bomb, evil jack-o-lantern, and big snake-like dragon are some of my faves that aren't commonly seen.

I don't know how far you'll be able to get with requesting original assets that fit the RTP (and of which RPG Maker edition do you mean? MV's kawaii-tastic design choices for monsters would heavily clash with VX/Ace's art style...), but if need be, there are ways to add s'more "spice" to default battlers simply by recoloring them and renaming them. Even though I intend to challenge myself by making my own assets, if (and maybe when) I fall back to using premade stuff I can reflavor stuff in a way that works for my project.

I'll give some examples from my fantasy setting, one that I wanna make games about and which has inspiration from Greek myth and the Arabian Nights...
  • That zombie battler? Now it's a ghoul, and not necessarily the D&D kind that paralyzes -- we're talking al-ghul, a fiendish and cannibalistic jinn that also just so happens to look like a zombie.
  • (come to think of it, that top example also makes VX/Ace's ifrit fit into such a setting, don't it? :p)
  • That werewolf? Color it greyish or brownish. Now it's a gnoll!
  • That shadowy ghost? Call it a "lemure", a "cacodaemon" (not the Doom kind), or a "babau". Now it's a spooky life-stealer.
  • That skeleton? You could call a recolor of it a revenant and consider making it an early-game boss.
  • That orc easily becomes a goblin with a greenish skin tinge if you want, especially in VX/Ace where it's not a piggy.
And so on and so forth. I'm probably not helping, but figure I'd add my 2¢. If worst comes to worst, definitely don't be afraid to palette-swap and rename the baddies. I'm not totally sure how well one could make enemy sprites in an exact RTP style, especially for free. :x That said, people have created edited battler sprites that make more monsters out of existing assets; maybe search there?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am SO HYPED to share this trailer with everyone when its done. I almost want to tear up i had no idea how far i came along with Fallen Feather in these last 3 years.
how it looks from the top
Hike was successful guys! I made it to the top!
Add Film-like Visual Effects During Test-Play, Deploy Games with Electron | RPG Maker News #69

brain broken as soon as i figure out whats wrong with my game im taking a long nap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lafa