Some questions and observations about getting started with MZ

GusF

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I just purchased MZ on Steam. It's the current release. Is there a reason there are 4 resource packs that don't load into a new project? This is not added things I bought, but stuff that comes with the base program. I haven't added anything else yet. There were only 4 plugins loaded to the project folder, but there were another 30 or more in the main folder. It seems you have to copy them manualy from there. If anyone has any suggestions, I'ld appreciate it.
I was hoping the tutorial problem was fixed from the free version, one update earlier, but maybe it has something to do with not being completely compatible with WIN 7.
Some of the sample towns had som passability problems. They had gates with normal roof tiles in front of the door or entrance to town. I had to put the transfer event in front of the building, no door use here. To get into the town I erased the roof tile, which made the gate look funny.
Gus

123edc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
that don't load into a new project?
only stuff put into the right folder (new data) load directly into new projects ...
that is to prevent bloat ...

GusF

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This folder scheme was setup by the installer. That shouldmean it is where it is suposed to be.
Gus

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you don't need every resource for every project - quite on the contrary.
so the entire engine is setup in a way that let's the developer decide which resource is in which project.

for example a lot of the added resources are for SF-based games, and in a medieval or fantasy game they would just take up space but never be used.

the steam structure allows easy adding of DLC to a project by the DLC button in the resource manager, that is why the added free resources are stored like a DLC on steam.

GusF

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That makes a little sense, but this didn't seem to be Steam. This seemed to be built into the program. But, this is my first time using Steam and I couldn't find the files that were copied either. What about the plugins? I couldn't find any way to add plugins inside the program. I know there's a way to enable\disable them, but not from the DLC folder. I also don't know what those plugins do yet. How would you find out without moving the into a project?
By the way, Andar, Thank you for all the times you have taken the time to answer my questions. I think you have chimed in on all the posts I've made. I appreciate that.
Gus

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, you need to manually copy the plugin files into your project before you can add them to the plugin manager.
I also don't know what those plugins do yet. How would you find out without moving the into a project?

For all new users, my personal suggestion is:
Do NOT use plugins, make your first game without any of them.

Plugins have only one function: to change the engine into something else.
And anyone should know what they change before using any of them, that means learning what the engine does by default before using any plugin.

and after that, you only use plugins if you need them - which means that when you are missing a function in your second game, you go looking for a plugin that gives that function.
You should NEVER add a plugin without knowing what it does.

and you'll find that info on the websites of those plugins or in the plugin section of this forum.
and until you need such a plugin, ignore that - especially as the plugins in the installer are often outdated.

KawaiiKid

Local Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For all new users, my personal suggestion is:
Do NOT use plugins, make your first game without any of them.
Best advice someone new to rpg maker can get.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This seemed to be built into the program. But, this is my first time using Steam and I couldn't find the files that were copied either.
Your Steam library directory is set in Steam's options (I always suggest people should look through the options of any new software they install), and shown to you each time you start a download. If you don't know where you're installing your software (which I recommend, as a computer user, you should :wink: ) you can right-click MZ in your Steam library and go to Manage -> Browse local files.
What about the plugins? I also don't know what those plugins do yet. How would you find out without moving the into a project?
If the descriptive names aren't enough for you to guess whether it's relevant to something you want to do, you can open a *.js file with any text editor (e.g. Notepad, Notepad++, whatever) and read the same description and help file that you would see in the plugin manager.

You can do this in Windows by right-clicking the file and going to Open With...

GusF

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Personaly, I have no interest in making a lot of games at the moment. But, you people have given me a lot of GOOD advice and I think that having 2 projects going at the same time might work. One is kind of a sandbox where you test ideas to impliment them effectively, and the other as the main project. This would allow me to perfect events and maps for the main project in the sandbox, before copying them to the main project. I'm sure there is a way to transfer maps and events between projects, right? Then, as the project gets more defined, and I get more experience, I'll look into the plugins I will need. I can also update the events and such as I get more experience.

I also checked out the link in you sig, Andar, 'a starting point for new users'. It had a lot of usefull information, even if some of it was for an older system. I know now that I DON'T want to go comercial. I MIGHT go the 'pay what you want' route, maybe. I also looked at the link in your sig, KawaiiKid, but was refused permission, I don't know why. ( the one about maps )
Gus

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sure there is a way to transfer maps and events between projects, right?
If you open two projects at the same time, you can select anything (a map, an entry in the database, lines of event commands) and copy/paste between the windows.

It only won't work if the source references an asset you don't have in the destination project (e.g. the image you chose for an event).

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

senary_concept_art.png
The concept art for the sprite of Senary, a major character in my upcoming (as-of-yet-unnamed) project. She is known as the Timelord because she can "stop time" by making eye contact with a person; Paralyzing them for a short period of time through a type of hypnosis. Tell me what you think about her. I'm thinking of changing the color of her coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfexplorer