Some Shortcuts to Development?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker 2000/2003' started by Jhale M., Feb 12, 2019.

1. Jhale M.

Jhale M. Goddess of health, purity and truth. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I know that a lot of professional game developers use shortcuts in order to get the job done when running on deadlines. I feel like I don't have such an option available to me. For example, to make a functioning chest, I have to make a new switch or variable just to keep the thing from reappearing.

Does anyone know any tricks with RPG Maker 2003 that will get the job done quicker without regards to potential problems that can show up? Does the engine allow you to be sloppy or use less effort?

2. Pix3M

Pix3M Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What I do is use a lot of common events so a lot of redundant script can be done with user-made shortcuts

Jhale M. likes this.
  3. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    yes.
    it's called game *design*

as in, the process where you make the game on paper, where you can erase and start over, before actually doing anything on the editor.

4. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm unsure if 2003 has them, but MV has "common events".

These are tremendously useful. Anything you find yourself doing often, you should create a common event instead. That way, you both reduce work and make your game more consistent.

5. bankotsu

bankotsu Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Yes, RM2003 has Common Events in the DB.

Sadly I believe that, if you want to create a good game, then there is no shortcut.
    You just have to simply sit, and make your job done. Think twice before doing something so you do not have to re-edit things and do them again.

As some people suggest - a good thing is to have your game project on some paper/document;
    some simple conspect of it so you will not got lost, or (!) in the process you suddenly want to add
    a new contect, and this is the worst thing in my opinion (when you are focusing on many
    scripts/some features rather than -story line- to make progress with the game .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    'Resources' is for things like sprites, tiles, music.

I've moved this thread to RPG Maker 2000/2003. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

7. Jhale M.

Jhale M. Goddess of health, purity and truth. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Oh, I thought there was only one section of the website that had maker specific sections so I ended up posting in the wrong one. I knew it was higher up but for some reason I didn't see it before.....
    On another note, I think I am figuring out some shortcuts with my game design. Haven't written anything on paper yet, but I am starting to figure out how things fit together. Since my game is supposed to be more minimalistic in some ways, I think it is okay that I spend a ton of time on assets. I am starting to think about it like a fighting game where you can't make a functioning fighter without a lot of work so you can't really play around with it in more depth until late in development.
    Making small sprites is still a major pain. I think I have a serviceable amount of sprites so I can just worry about visuals later for the most part and focus more on the combat areas, which goes well with the fighting game development mentality. I'm also thinking that I need to expand the more recurring areas in my game so they become more immersive while not needing too much variety in tilesets. I guess big map design can actually be a big time saver shortcut in some ways.